Oil change mkII vrs petrol

Hi all, so I'm enjoying my first car an Octavia, but after learning my dealer has been filling up the oil outside of the recommended vw spec I'd like to change the oil myself.

My only issue is that I have never attempted this before. I'd love to know what tools I need including best way to jack up the car if needed to carry out an oil change.

Cheers all

I've just serviced my Mk2 vRS at the weekend and you'll need a socket (Cant remember what size 16 or 17) to undo the sump drain bolt, a new sump drain bolt, Torx bits to undo the under tray and i think thats it. If your going to replace the oil filter you'll need a 36mm socket to undo it and obviously a new filter as they are a cartridge type. its a prety straightforward job. It can get rather messy when you undo the oil filter as it will run out, I slackened mine off a few turns at a time so it didnt all come gushing out

Edited by banzaiman

On the oil filter, make sure you let the manifold cool down enough before you start it as otherwise the filter can be a pain.

Also on the oil filter you must change the rubber seal on the lid. You get a new one with the new filter, but if you fail to change it, then it will (IME) leak.

With the filter it can be messy as I found out the dirty way! Best to have some kitchen towel or coth handy. On the diesel vrs its a bit tight getting it out and even more fiddly get it back in.

Oil, filter and sum plug are all consumables so none get reused.

Thanks all. And thanks for the link banzaiman, I assume all the fittings and bolt sizes are identical to what is used on that page? Also where can I buy the replacement sump plug from.

Cheers

Put in a bit less oil than spec to start with, run it for a minute, let it settle for a minute, then measure again, and top up as required. You don't want to overfill it, and it's much easier to add oil than to take it away.

I'm considering doing the oil change using a vacuum pump from to remove the oil without getting under the car. This would save me getting a jack, jack stands, sump bolt or getting as dirty. I'd be interested to know if others have gone this route also.

Question is, can the oil filter be changed from under the bonnet on the petrol 2.0 vrs?

I'm considering doing the oil change using a vacuum pump from to remove the oil without getting under the car. This would save me getting a jack, jack stands, sump bolt or getting as dirty. I'd be interested to know if others have gone this route also.

Question is, can the oil filter be changed from under the bonnet on the petrol 2.0 vrs?

no it cant, you have to get underneath and remove the bottom engine cover, and in response to your first post about it using oil outside of spec, all of the 2.0 TFSI engines are almost two stroke! They seem to use less 5W40 as they do 5W30 tho. I just changed the oil in mine £15.39 for 5 litres of 5W40 Triple QX from Euro Car Parts using discount code OILSPILL30. You need to go to the dealer for a sump bolt. Edited by 07 vRS Taxi

Ok, cheers. Prob not worth getting the pump then as I have to get underneath anyhow.

The oil they put in was 10w30

are you sure mate? thats the wrong oil, depending on the service plan it only uses either 5W30 or 5W40. Edited by 07 vRS Taxi

Yeah I know hence the reason I'm changing it ASAP. I'm in Australia, maybe the warmer weather helps but the service records state the oil as 10w30 and one mentions magnetic. This is a skoda dealership too. Pretty disappointed with them, ESP when they charged th previous owner another 100 dollars on top of a retail 38 dollars for the oil.

I guess they buy oil in bulk and one size fits all but it's tardy and you remind me I have to call them to question it.

Cheers

The reason all you guys are getting in a mess changing the filter is there is a special tool that screws into the end of the oil filter cap. It releases the orange plug in the end of the filter and drains all the oil out down a flexible pipe.