LED Bulb Upgrades for Superb II

Hi Community,

Having looked at the various posts on here i am trying to find recommendations to upgrading the indicators, reverse bulbs and DRL's to LED.

Dont want the Canbus errors though and i am sure you lot have tried all sorts.

Intrigued about the indicators as a lot of reviews say when you fully upgrade the flash time is substantially faster (probably due to the low resistance in the LED bulb).

Also, i have noted that some people who upgraded there DRL to LED have noted that they are no where near as bright as the standard filament bulbs?

So Briskodians if you can come up with suggestions, opinions from those that have tried it etc to the following:

LED Upgrades to:

1. DRLs

2. Indicators (front and rear)

3. Reverse lights

4. Front side light

5. Main beam light (i have L&K with AFS2 and it does have Bi-Xennon, which flashes the Xennon when the dipped Xennon is on, but when not on, it flashes the standard filament main beam bulb).

Appreciate any help the gang can offer.

BR

Nick.

Edited by nczernus
  • Like 2

Hi Nick this is what I have fitted:

Front fog lights (whiter):

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/350579116418

Footwell (x4), puddle (x2 in mirrors) and boot lights (x2) are this type (a different seller to who I bought mine from, as he is no longer listing them):

http://www.ebay.co.u...=item20c5e47a2e

Interior lights (x5) are:

http://www.ebay.co.u...=item33797a86a1

Numberplate (x2) and sunvisor bulbs (x2) are:

http://www.ebay.co.u...=item43af8f7710

(don’t forget the numberplate lights will also need an additional bulb soldered as such:

http://www.briskoda....te-lights-help/ My post showing how I did it is #29

DRL’s are:

http://www.ebay.co.u...=item519eea4633

The main beams are Phillips +90(?)% and again are whiter than OE.

Not done the indicators etc as it is generally accepted that the LED equivalents are not as bright or as directional as the OE filament bulbs.

• Like 3

I have used 1156 30 SMD LED CANBUS for the DRLs. They have 5050 leds which are triple SMDs making a total of 90 leds.

They draw about 180mA @ 12Volt but are centre pin positive. My 2011 Superb is centre pin negative, so the led package has to be modified.

Run them for about 3 months and they were error free in my car.

Brightness was good except in sunlight.

Tried them in my friends 2010 Seat Exeo and they gave errors.

Now been running CREE Q5 382 1156 9.5W from Ebay seller alltronix_ltd. They are super bright.... much brighter than original filament lamps, even in bright sunlight.

They consume about 400mA @ 12Volt which is about 4.8W... not the 9.5W the seller states, but have been error free since installation some 2 months ago.

On bench tests the alloy body reached surface temperatures of some 70C @ an ambient of 16C. But this was measured with a remote sensing temperature meter, it may have been picking up the surface temperatures of the Leds. Over the past month done some long daytime driving, upto to four hours, with no problems even when ambient temperatures were some 27C.

This Cree system is not polarity sensitive, probaly has bridge rectifier built in.

Tried them in my friends Seat, initially gave no error but when engine was started they gave an error.

Hope this info is useful.

Edited by DCC

Now been running CREE Q5 382 1156 9.5W from Ebay seller alltronix_ltd. They are super bright.... much brighter than original filament lamps, even in bright sunlight.

Do you have any pictures of these fitted?

Been looking at them for a while now as CREE seem the way to go with LED's

• Like 1

Sorry no pictures, tried but the Cree leds blind my phone camera !

The radial Leds in the body are good as they fill the light housing with light.

Bought one initially but was so impressed bought another two... one for spare.

Some other LED upgrades I have done...

Four Interior lights.... 2w Festoon leds... super bright

Front interior downlights.... W5W White 20 SMD LED Side Light Wedge Bulb... big improvement

Front sidelights.... CANBUS W5W T10 501 13 SMD LED Side Wedge Light... very bright and error free in my Superb

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hi DCC...are you still error free...I think your car is MY12, as I've seen a number of posts from MY12 owners having problems with canbus errors.

nczernus...have you fitted any of these yet?

Interested to hear from any other MY12 owners with these fitted before I buy.

cheers Simon

(Thanks for the reminder Simon, I knew there was a thread I wanted to update :thumbup: )

Here are some photo's of the CREE LED's that DCC (and now myself have fitted - FWIW mine is MY11)

CREE Q5 382 1156 BA15S LED BULB 9.5W 450 LUMENS

IMG_0785-Copy.jpg

My previous LED DRL's, - bear in mind the photo above was taken in bright sunshine and the LED's below on an overcast day, (when they were new, these lasted around 18 months and some LED's had failed and the light output went very 'chav' blue and barely visible during bright sunshine,

LEDDRLs.jpg

as can be seen below (18 month old, failing LED on the left, new CREE on the right):

IMG_0782.jpg

Hi DCC...are you still error free...I think your car is MY12, as I've seen a number of posts from MY12 owners having problems with canbus errors.

cheers Simon

Yes, still error free, but I have not used my car for past three weeks as I am currently out of the UK

cheers Simon

Nope not yet...

Its on my 2Do-List.....

Along with putting a shelf up, doing the garden....fixing the wall....God its like being married

......only kidding......

I will get round to it i promise :think:

I understand if you like playing around with this stuff, but fitting these low end aftermarket LED's seems like a mod too far. If they give errors and start failing after 18 months is it really worth?

Also quick Q, doesn't the L&K come with rear LED clusters? If so, buying a pair of these from parts would solve rear brake & indicators. No doubt more expensive, but I suspect a more reliable way to replace rears.

Cheers

Steve

Edited by stevehg

I understand if you like playing around with this stuff, but fitting these low end aftermarket LED's seems like a mod too far. If they give errors and start failing after 18 months is it really worth?

If they dont give errors, and last 18 months, it is, for sure, worth it :)

Also quick Q, doesn't the L&K come with rear LED clusters? If so, buying a pair of these from parts would solve rear brake & indicators. No doubt more expensive, but I suspect a more reliable way to replace rears.

Cheers

Steve

Mine did not give any errors, although I agree that 18 months is not long enough, but at least I had 18 months of driving without the nasty yellow OE bulbs. :giggle:

The L&K LED rear lights are only for the saloon / twinhatch.

...and for anyone with a hatch wanting to upgrade their rear lights, I have seen some crazy prices quoted for the LED light clusters...€399 on superskoda.com...and probably need recoding as well. If the altenative cost 2s 6d I can put up with some reliability issues, perhaps.

A set of these Cree-equipped bulbs arrived and were fitted to my MY12 Superb yesterday - no errors reported yet. Considerably brighter and more coherent light than the 21-SMD units they replace :happy:

Edited by Mark S Morley

A set of these Cree-equipped bulbs arrived and were fitted to my MY12 Superb yesterday - no errors reported yet. Considerably brighter and more coherent light than the 21-SMD units they replace :happy:

Excellent news...thank you...I'll have to get an order put in soon.

Excellent news...thank you...I'll have to get an order put in soon.

Ordered, delivered and fitted in a couple of days...excellent service from ebay seller. Haven't been off the drive yet but the LED's look good and give no errors so far.

Here's my car with the LED on right of photo...original bulb left of photo.

P1030561_blank%2520reg.JPG

• Like 2

Ordered, delivered and fitted in a couple of days...excellent service from ebay seller. Haven't been off the drive yet but the LED's look good and give no errors so far.

+1. Arrived fast, fitted in minutes. Error free after two short drives on a MY2012 (build week 20) estate.

Saw an interesting thing yesterday, pulled up at a level crossing behind a clean white van, turned lights onto sidelights and turned the engine off, when the ignition was turned back on each DRL flashed 3 times (IIRC drivers side flashed 3 times and then the passenger side flashed 3 times), I assume this was just the cold diagnostics doing their check of all the bulbs, you don't normally see a light illuminate due to it only using a very low power which is not enough to light the bulb, it is sufficient to light up an LED though.

Funny enough the van drove very steady after that, maybe he thought it was a police car?? (he was driving like a loon before) :giggle:

• Like 2

Martin,

That's amazing. I just went out to my car and recreated exactly what you described. It looks even better in the dark so I'll have to remember when I have a wally in front. I bet you don't get this with normal incandescant bulbs as the flash is so quick the bulb filament possibly does not have time to fire up and produce light, but the LED reacts instantly. Mine flashed passenger side first, then driver's. The Superb seems to have hidden toys!!!

Simon