LED Bulb Upgrades for Superb II

Not got the Crees, but have some Gen 3 LED bulbs waiting to fit to my new Superb when I pick it up on Monday

Tried these in the car yesterday, didn't even light!!

Going to order some CREEs this week and try those instead

Edited by Inoffski

Mine did not give any errors, although I agree that 18 months is not long enough, but at least I had 18 months of driving without the nasty yellow OE bulbs. :giggle:

The L&K LED rear lights are only for the saloon / twinhatch.

Gizmo How are these LED bulbs proforming? any errors? what MY are you?

i was about to buy a set for my combi but happened on these http://www.ebay.ie/itm/261103016954?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649and thought if the 11w per bulb is high enough it wouldn't set the canbus off?

they arrived today. but 'and let this be a warning' P21W (1157) is a double filament D'oh. I bid on the wrong ones.

So might just go with your recomendation.

Mine is MY12. They work fine with no errors. When they arrived I was spleased to find the metal body was a silver colour and not the gold colour in the advert photo. Very happy admiring the reflection on the bumpers in front when in traffic.

Be careful when buying LED DRLs for the Superb, see my post #3 on this thread.

Points to remember ...

The 1156 bulb holder in my MY12 is centre pin negative (Maybe all Superb IIs are like this). Most polarity sensitive 1156 LED packages are centre pin positive.

Look out for non polarity sensitive LEDs.

The Wattage of many DRL LED offers are greatly inflated. For example the alltronix ones claim to be 9.5W but are only 4.8W.

Another one on Ebay, which looks like a nice package claims to be 20W but is only 3.8W !... search Ebay for...

1156 High Power Cree Q5 20W

It may also be centre pin positive.

This supplier is quoting 20W which is the maximum rating of 4 x 5W leds... but in this small package they cannot be run at their maximum rating because of the heat generated.

Also look out for LED DRLs which use a constant current source as an internal driver.

This protects the LED system from self destruct caused by thermal run away.

• 3 weeks later...

Are thes really worth £30?

If, when I try mine tomorrow, I say "ooh, shiny white light" then yes!

If there is no shiny white light then no, and *ugger!

Just hope that they last a decent amount of time, which at the moment means 18+ months, otherwise my answer may turn to no!

Update:

Fitted them onto my MY2013 (I assume as I received it 23rd July 2012) and have come on with no errors.

Nice clean white light, much more in fitting with the quality of the rest of the car.

Is £30 every (estimated) 18 months worth it?

To me yes, as a small fraction of the cost of ownership of the car it is not much and I think that that final touch completes the look.

Sent via Tapatalk

Edited by leWrat

Compared to other led's available then yes they are

Agreed. I had originally fitted the set that Gizmo had previously and was equally dissatisfied at the end of the day. These are a big step forward, both in terms of light output and appearance when fitted. The metal body of the "bulb" means that they fit in (visually) much better with the reflectors.

m.

Does everyone get the three flashes thing when they are first switched on ?

Yes...it's covered earlier in this topic...it's the ECU running the bulb diagnostic check when you turn on the ignition

hi ! Cant find the bulbs anymore on ebay ! Does anybody know where to get them ?

Found these from China, don`t know if they are the same but they look like it, and much cheaper

http://dx.com/p/sencart-1156-9w-480lm-5-led-white-light-car-brake-bulbs-silver-2-psc-dc-12-24v-158291

Edited by taxigeoff

• 3 weeks later...

I own a Skoda Superb II Elegance 1.8 TSI MY 2012 with Bo-Xenon Headlights. The DRL's are Type: 1156 with BA15S Holders. I have successfully replaced the stock halogen bulbs with the below LED Bulbs, without triggering the Can Bus error warning. The bulbs are super-bright and they look great on the car. I purchased them from e-bay and you can cut-paste the below phrase in to e-bay to search for them.

CREE Q5 382 1156 BA15S LED REVERSE BULB 9.5W 450 LUMENS BRIGHTEST AVAILABLE

Happy Motoring....

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Checkout my posts #3 and #31 in this thread.

New DRL Cree LED available which I have tested on my MY12 Superb with no problems.

Similar to the Alltronix ones, but a bit lower Cost.... £13 ea. Ebay seller also has a "Make Offer" so maybe a lower cost.

Current same, surface temperature same, constant current driver, no polarity.

Tested one in my car, did not see much difference in light output.... Still very happy with the Alltronix ones.

Note... this was only a short term test.... about 30 minutes in the car and about 1 hour on the bench.

Search for ...

1156, BA15S 20W CREE LED BULB WHITE BRAKING

on Ebay UK

Item number... 160937421972

Some more info here, but maybe not the same manufacturer....

http://loyolight.en....gsotherproduct1