• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 K17KEO

K17KEO

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 489 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 09:50

Over the last few weeks ive been working on fitting DEPO xenon headlights to my Mk1 Octavia VRS. I looked at genuine units but seemed far too expensive just to have xenons. I took some pics as i was doing it so thought i would put a bit of a guide together incase anyone else would like to have a go :happy: Its my first guide, Ill try my best lol

Parts req

Posted Image

N/S & O/S DEPO xenon headights, Total cost around £100 on ebay
2 x original halogen looms(got some from scrappy to save mine) cost few £'s
2 x xenon looms(supplied with DEPO's)
H7/D2s xenon/HID kit,around £30 on ebay
H1 & H3 for fog/main beam, few £'s

Tools req

Side cutters
Soldering iron
Heat shrink to suit cable
Solder

Step one

Get your halogen looms and cut off the H4 connector, Its the white one in this pic. Leave the three wires around 100mm long(white, yellow and brown)

Posted Image

Step 2

Cut the long grey, white and brown wires from the xenon loom. These are feeds for fog light and main beam

Posted Image

Step 3

Remove the xenon loom from the light casing and insert haolgen loom(Connector just clips out)

Posted Image

Should have something like this

Posted Image

Step 4

Using sidecutters/wire strippers, strip the 6 ends of the wires.

Tin each end with flux cored solder.

Slide 20mm length of head shrink over each wire as far away from joint as possible(heat will start to shrink it if it gets too hot)

Step 5

Grab your HID kit, It has an input lead and output to bulb

I used a D2s HID kit so I cut the input plug off.

Strip the outer insulation to reveal a black and red wire.

Strip the ends of these two wires as prep as in step 4

Step 6

I decided to mount the HID ballast to the rear of the light casing. I just positioned the ballast in the best place, marked through, drilled and bolted with the bolts in the kit

Posted Image

Step 7

Solder the wires as follows

White ---- White
Yellow ---- Red(HID)
Brown ---- Black(HID)
Brown ---- Brown
Grey ---- Grey

Then slide heatshrink over the joint and heat

As seen in this pic

Posted Image

Step 8

Thats the loom done, Now just need to connect to the correct bulbs and screw the casing to the headlight :-)

Note- These have no adjustment motors fitted, I havent decided how i will do this. A few suggestions have been use cable ties tempory or make a new bracket for halogen motor.

Hope this is some help, Could have done with more pics but you get the idea
  • Babs and GordoGT like this

#2 sesachc

sesachc

Highway Code Rule 138! PPL FFS

• FREEDOM
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,070 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 15:16

i've recently went down this route but ordered my passengers side headlight to be informed they have ran out of stock, but can you update us with whats been going on in the last couple of months
  • Simon TDI Sport likes this

#3 schmellic

schmellic

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 16:16

Did you have to modify the indicator stalk at all? I remeber I had to do this to my Audi (B5) to stop the HID bulbs going out when you use main beam as it's not very good for the ballasts for them to be clicking on and off all the time.

Just curious as I am thinking upgrading to HID as well.

#4 sesachc

sesachc

• FREEDOM
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,070 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 16:48

its the negative thats switches the power so just bridge the 2 negatives

#5 schmellic

schmellic

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 18:25

Brilliant! That's nice and easy :-)

#6 schmellic

schmellic

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 15:25

Just looking at the wiring, if it was negative switched surely bridging the negatives would iluminate both bulbs all the time?

After some research it seems the best way to achieve having the dipped beam on all the time would be to take power from pin 7 of the headlight switch to power the dipped beam rather than the stalk (just like the Golf does), as can be seen from this diagram http://mit.edu/denni.../vw/switch.html.

Has anyone tried this?

#7 ExAudiSi

ExAudiSi

Briskodian

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,511 posts
  • Car:VW Passat CC TDI & Porsche 968 Coupe

Posted 31 December 2012 - 10:28

Just looking at the wiring, if it was negative switched surely bridging the negatives would iluminate both bulbs all the time?

After some research it seems the best way to achieve having the dipped beam on all the time would be to take power from pin 7 of the headlight switch to power the dipped beam rather than the stalk (just like the Golf does), as can be seen from this diagram http://mit.edu/denni.../vw/switch.html.

Has anyone tried this?

Yes, did it on my previous Bora and on my Octavia. Ran a wire from the back of the light switch to the fuse box. I think that the wire at the fuse box end is yellow with a green tracer.

Edit - I believe that I connected to pin 8 though (used a wiring diagram supplied by VW).
  • schmellic likes this

#8 schmellic

schmellic

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 18:33

Cool thanks, well I've got ELSAWIN so I'll have a gander at the wiring and go down this route. Just received my depo lights so will have a crack at this soon!

#9 Oet

Oet

Briskodian

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,052 posts
  • Car:vrs, mk2 golf gti, mk1 golf gti roof chop t2 and a beach buggy

Posted 22 January 2013 - 08:47

do the depos not have adjustment facility? or no motors fitted?

#10 sesachc

sesachc

• FREEDOM
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,070 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 11:19

do the depos not have adjustment facility? or no motors fitted?

they have the headlight adjustment motor mount, but not motors, i try'd retro fitting the old standard motors, but they dont fit in any way, so zip ties it was :D

But Beam pattern is Awesome, no more peps flashing me cause of hids in old headlights, and 100w fullbeam for the back roads, just awesome

#11 Oet

Oet

Briskodian

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,052 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 12:18

so i wonder why the depo motors are different, how much are oe xenon motors i wonder, and would they fit?

#12 kentphil1

kentphil1

Uber Member

• FREEDOM
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,081 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 19:00

I think I am right in saying that oe xenon motors have 4 wires and i believe work as a stepper motor as they continually adjust on the move. It is not that hard to fit original level motors, you just need a bit of patience, and lots of heavy things to throw when it doesn't go as you want. :rofl:

Cost of oe xenon motor is not cheap I'm afraid, but then nothing oe xenon is.

#13 Oet

Oet

Briskodian

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,052 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 19:21

hi Phil, was hoping you would reply! so how far have you got? yes didnt think of that, kufatec sell the levelling kits iirc, i wonder if they include motors....(he leaves to go look at kufatecs site!)

#14 Oet

Oet

Briskodian

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,052 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 19:29

ok no would be the answer to that then!
kit comes with wiring and levelling sensors, but not motors for the headlights, also they are about £350 for the kit!

#15 kentphil1

kentphil1

Uber Member

• FREEDOM
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,081 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 21:14

My lights are completely done, have now got a pair of headlampwash jets, and am bidding on a larger bottle and pump. Going to get jet housings sprayed when the weather gets more sensible, and the temperature eases off enough to let me bend in the cold to actually fit it all.

#16 kentphil1

kentphil1

Uber Member

• FREEDOM
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,081 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 21:35

If you want to go the oe motor route, the part number is 1U0941295B and the price is - are you ready for this....................£55+VAT each. new halogen motors are £33+VAT each.

#17 sesachc

sesachc

• FREEDOM
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,070 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 23:43

it's a joke, cause i badly want the headlight leveling motors in mines, but i kept the loom for the 3 wire headlight motor, just incase theres a retro fit job i can do

#18 Oet

Oet

Briskodian

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,052 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 09:38

did you fit motors phil?

#19 kentphil1

kentphil1

Uber Member

• FREEDOM
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,081 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 20:48

Yes, I have the halogen levellers in my lamps at the moment, although eventual plan is to go self level from an appropriate donor car at a semi sensible price. At least this way I have control of the beam direction when loaded. Look at Gee's thread, you swop over/modify the looms in the lamps to retain the correct loom-lamp connection, which lets you retain the wiring for the standard level motors. Just dont throw the depo looms away if you eventually intend to go self level like me.

#20 Oet

Oet

Briskodian

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,052 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 10:23

nice one phil, would really like to see them with the motors fitted, fancy catching up one eve so i can take a squizz?

#21 kentphil1

kentphil1

Uber Member

• FREEDOM
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,081 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 19:06

Sorry for delay in reply mate, they are at my son's team bodyshop at the moment - was using their plastic welding gear for another secret squirrel project, so did them there. seemed simpler to leave them there as they will be fitting and painting the bumper jets for me. Will pm you when they are accessible as they are burried behind a load of Focus panels at the moment :rofl: .

#22 kidology

kidology

kidology

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 174 posts
  • Car:skoda Octavia Vrs Mk2 Black Magic 245 bhp

Posted 09 February 2013 - 19:39

Hi you say loom just clips out just on with the same cannot get plugs out do they push in or outwards cheers.

#23 sesachc

sesachc

• FREEDOM
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,070 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 19:41

was a bit of a pig for me to get the loom to fit properly so i did without the back covers atm

#24 kentphil1

kentphil1

Uber Member

• FREEDOM
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,081 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 20:33

The plugs come out of the headlamps rather than pushing in if that makes sense, the lugs that hold the plug in run along the longer axis of the plug, and can be a little stiff to squeeze when they are new.

Play a hairdrier over the lamp for about a minute to soften the plastic strength of the plug and it gets a little easier, you can just get your fingers on the plug through the reflector opening in the lamp body.

All of this is hugely easier with the lamp out of the car and on a flat surface in front of you.

Hope it helps

#25 sesachc

sesachc

• FREEDOM
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,070 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 20:56

i got them out in the end, just i dont have the headlight motors so tiewrap to hold at desired hight atm thats also an other reason i dont have the covers on

#26 kentphil1

kentphil1

Uber Member

• FREEDOM
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,081 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 21:09

I dont want speak too soon at the moment as I can't get my lamps at the moment (they are completed but waiting at my son's workshop), but I've found motors from a different marque of car that have the same adjuster extension and power pin formation as the halogen lamps, I just need to check that they physically fit and lock into the xenon body.

If they do, then this part of the mod will be a doddle for others once I have checked. Will update further when I am sure

#27 sesachc

sesachc

• FREEDOM
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,070 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 21:27

yeah please do as thats the nly thing holding me back from completion of this mod, everything else has been done

#28 kidology

kidology

kidology

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 174 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 11:10

If i fit headlight washer bottle 5lt and headlight washers are they any other mods to do or will it work from the off.....Ordered halogen looms so not butchering own i have original hight adjusters off headlights which are xenon 4 pin can these not be moded? Lights are off a laurin klement proper xenons.

#29 kentphil1

kentphil1

Uber Member

• FREEDOM
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,081 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 23:15

I think someone on the mk IV golf forum played around with this, but not sure if he ever got them to work, The original adjusters are like a big remote control car servo inside, but I believe the Xenon adjuster is a stepper motor that looks for a constantly changing input, although I have not had my hands on one yet to confirm this - not at over £60 a pop.

Do you still have access to the car to get the looms and level correctors from the suspension to do it properly?

#30 kidology

kidology

kidology

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 174 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 01:51

Yes you are right they are round discs one on top of the other,that are held in with 2 screws the parts you mention i do not know either what they are or look like. I had the items posted, inside the headlights is 2 oblong pieces with the d2s connector on the end,i will try and get some pictures up my phone will not do it then you will see what i mean.I believe the 4 way connector plugs into this devise which is fastened inside the headlight.Then the igniter is fastened on the back of the outer cover the multi plug has about 12 wires which connects to the car loom plug.