DRL's & MFD

Fishyhooky

Maxidot (multi function display) and MFD are the same thing.

The rear lights are part of the obligatory lighting curcuit and are completely seperate from DRL's, you can only choose one or the other, not both, unless you have access to a VCDS.

Edited by Tech-Yeti

I read somewhere that in some countries the rear lights could be enabled to work with the DRL's (similar to Volvo's) my display isn't a maxidot just the basic LCD display

Update

My Yeti manual say on page 54 that "In some countries, the national legal provisions require that the rear parking lights come on together with the DRL's

Just wondered if anyone has done this using VCDS

Edited by Fishyhooky

Is it possible to alter the settings for the DRL's so that the rear lights work as well, My Yeti S doesn't have the Maxidot only a MFD

YES they can!

I had a word with my dealer only last month and they activated them for me free of charge whilst the car was having a software update during a recall for the Turbo......Tony

Be aware that a lot of dealers will not touch alterations done with VCDS, often because they have concerns over "liability" and secondly because a lot do not have the facilities to do it. As I understand it the computer system the dealers have as standard does not have the relevant programmes included.

YES they can!

I had a word with my dealer only last month and they activated them for me free of charge whilst the car was having a software update during a recall for the Turbo......Tony

Does enabling the rear lights like this also turn on the dashboard illumination, please?

Be aware that a lot of dealers will not touch alterations done with VCDS, often because they have concerns over "liability" and secondly because a lot do not have the facilities to do it. As I understand it the computer system the dealers have as standard does not have the relevant programmes included.

Good evening Graham. You are quite right to point out the above regarding VCDS / Dealerships etc but perhaps I did not make it clear in my post that the dealership that did our Yeti used the Skoda (VW) system to enable the rear lights.

I am fortunate to have a good and knowledgable friend [courtesy of Briskoda] who has enabled several things for me via his Ross Tech VCDS system and he personally corresponded with Ross Tech regarding the activation of the rear lights with the DRLs. who were at that time unable to achieve this. QUOTE from Ross Tech:

"It looks like any rear lighting with DRLs would be buried in the Byte 18 stuff as discussed in this thread: http://forums.vwvort...L-rear-parking- lights I would NOT recommend changing Byte 18, especially on a friend's car. Changes can have undesirable effects and even worse, the old value is obscured by the control module so it may not be possible to go back and correct it."

Subsequent investigations led me to think that the dealers own system may be able to do it and so it proved. We were able to compare before and after VCDS "Long Coding" records of my Yeti and he did identify a byte that had changed and he is going to try changing this on another Yeti /Octavia etc asap. I have no doubt he will publish this for other Briskoda members and Ross Tech when he has the results.

...............Tony

• Like 1

Does enabling the rear lights like this also turn on the dashboard illumination, please?

Hi Zib..........Just been and checked, and yes it does..............................Tony

Tony,

We have been told in the past that the dealer system cannot do everything that a VCDS operator can. I was just passing that on.

Thanks Graham - I thought that was the case and you were right to pass it on, but it did made me realise that I may have not been as clear as I could have been in my post that it was the "Dealers System" that had been used, and I thought that I should clarify that.

.............Tony

Tony,

We have been told in the past that the dealer system cannot do everything that a VCDS operator can. I was just passing that on.

I agree as the dealer system would not activate the flappy paddles on my vRS steering wheel, but VCDS did.

Seems like we have the reverse of this with dealer can but VCDS can't. We live and learn.

I agree as the dealer system would not activate the flappy paddles on my vRS steering wheel, but VCDS did.

Seems like we have the reverse of this with dealer can but VCDS can't. We live and learn.

Agreed! but I think this is a case of "Watch-this-space" Having seen the excellent VCDS system working it won't be long before it is a VCDS option. Especially if my "Briskoda Pal" finds that he has found the byte to change and publishes it.

......Tony

Hi Zib..........Just been and checked, and yes it does..............................Tony

Thanks very much... For me, that's another reason to think of doing it, especially for driving along roads with intermittent bright light then deep shade. I could always turn on side lights, but then I think that turns off the DRLs, so reducing visibility to other drivers.

Thanks very much... For me, that's another reason to think of doing it, especially for driving along roads with intermittent bright light then deep shade. I could always turn on side lights, but then I think that turns off the DRLs, so reducing visibility to other drivers.

Unless my Yeti is different, I think you will find that the dashboard is always illuminated when the ignition is on.

Unless my Yeti is different, I think you will find that the dashboard is always illuminated when the ignition is on.

Not at night though unless you turn on the lights. There is a sensor that turns the the dash lights off to remind you to turn your lights on. Go through a tunnel in the daytime to see what I mean. Even with auto lights there is a brief time when you can't see the dash.

I see lots of cars driving around at night thinking they have their lights on because the dash is illuminated.

Edited by rockhopper

• 1 month later...

Subsequent investigations led me to think that the dealers own system may be able to do it and so it proved. We were able to compare before and after VCDS "Long Coding" records of my Yeti and he did identify a byte that had changed and he is going to try changing this on another Yeti /Octavia etc asap. I have no doubt he will publish this for other Briskoda members and Ross Tech when he has the results.

...............Tony

@Tony: I'm trying to achieve the same thing with the rear lights on my Octavia. You wrote this on August 22nd. Has your friend done his experiment and is there a result to report?

Thanks

Hans

Only just picked this thread up but our Fabia II delivered in Sept 2010 arrived with front DRL's on plus front side lights along with rear lights but the light switch was off. Our dealer, who has only the minimum diagnostics required by Skoda, was able to find an enabled 'tick box' that shouldn't have been set for a UK car. Side and rear lights went out on disabling this box.

TP

@Tony: I'm trying to achieve the same thing with the rear lights on my Octavia. You wrote this on August 22nd. Has your friend done his experiment and is there a result to report?

Thanks

Hans

No not yet - he has been unwell and in hospital for a while and unable to progress it further as yet. I am sure that when the answer is found that he (&/or Ross Tech) will publish it. In the mean time, find a friendly / knowledgable dealer who can do it. Tim's post above shows proves that the setting can be found if they persevere ...........Tony

My Yeti went into our local Skoda dealers (D M Keith) in Leeds yesterday for a 20K service.

I had asked for the rear lights to come on when I started the car and the auto unlock to be activated

When I collected the car they had done the auto unlock but said that the rear lights couldn't be activated.

Can this be done using VCDS?

My Yeti went into our local Skoda dealers (D M Keith) in Leeds yesterday for a 20K service.

I had asked for the rear lights to come on when I started the car and the auto unlock to be activated

When I collected the car they had done the auto unlock but said that the rear lights couldn't be activated.

Can this be done using VCDS?

Hi Les.

Sorry to hear that they could not activate the rear lights as DRLs for you. But persevere with them or find another more knowledgeable dealer to do it for you as it can be done!

I now know of one or two other Yeti owners that have had it done like myself. I think a lot depends on the dealers / mechanics knowledge of the system and whether they can be bothered to spend the time and look properly!

I am fortunate that my dealer (Simpsons of Preston) was more than willing to have a look around and found the setting in just a few minutes. They did not even charge me as the car was already hooked up to their system having the turbo recall done. Simpsons at Colne, is about 30 miles from you and would possibly be worth a quick phone call or visit as the two branches work very closely together.

Anyway, hope you get it sorted...............................Tony

• 3 years later...

Hello from me,

I have tried to do vice versa on my Scout with VCDS - to activate DRL's without rear lights,but that was "mission impossible".In first option a front fog lights is active along with front side lights and rear as well.In the second option a low beam is active like DRL among with all others ditto. Checking at the VCDS options i didn't found anything about how to activate only front fog or low beams as DRL ,without the rear and front side ones.Anybody has a clue?

Edited by zar

Only just picked this thread up but our Fabia II delivered in Sept 2010 arrived with front DRL's on plus front side lights along with rear lights but the light switch was off. Our dealer, who has only the minimum diagnostics required by Skoda, was able to find an enabled 'tick box' that shouldn't have been set for a UK car. Side and rear lights went out on disabling this box.

TP

Which ,tick box it was?Was it VCDS diagnostics or something else?Do you remember?Because I've made several unsuccessful efforts to disable a rear and front side lights ,leaving high beams as a DRL only.

Edited by zar

I've made several unsuccessful efforts to disable a rear and front side lights ,leaving high beams as a DRL only.

I do hope you've made a mistake with the wording of that or hope that you do not meet me coming the other way :doh: