SD Card & Bolero Unit

Expatman

I have copied 50+ tracks from iTunes to an SD card (mp3 format) to play in my Yeti. Problem is that when I load the SD card into the Bolero Unit the tracks are first shown on the screen in a 'greyed' unplayable format followed underneath by the same tracks in the regular playable mp3 format. Any one any idea what is happening or how I can prevent this?

I am using an Apple computer.

When looking at the SD card on the computer are there any other files accompanying the mp3 files, these could be cover art pics that would be used to identify the cd.

The bolero would not be able to display those as pictures, so all you get is a greyed out file name.

Try copying a few mp3 files on their own

I can see no other files apart from the MP3 files when I look at the SD card on my computer. I also tried just copying a few mp3 files and the result was the same - greyed mp3 files of the songs followed by the same but playable visible mp3 files. The file name of the playable and greyed files is identical!

This is a problem with a Mac that is documented in another thread.

Unfortunately you will have to delete these additional files one by one on the Bolero/Columbus or put the card in a PC and delete them in blocks.

If the file you are trying to copy was not created on the Mac and has been opened on the Mac then you won't have the extra files.

I have not yet found a way of NOT transferring these to any other drive (SD, HD, etc) without the files.

All my extra files (one per track) start with ._ and appear as a block prior to the MP3 files. Seems yours might be slightly different to that, but the solution will still be the same I suspect.

Slightly off Topic

Is there anyway the Bolero can display the Artist of the CD that is being played. Mine only shows the Track being played.

Back on topic

Thanks

It depends whether the original source has that info on each track. Some CD's don't, but as far as I can tell it only displays the track name.

This is a problem with a Mac that is documented in another thread.

Unfortunately you will have to delete these additional files one by one on the Bolero/Columbus or put the card in a PC and delete them in blocks.

If the file you are trying to copy was not created on the Mac and has been opened on the Mac then you won't have the extra files.

I have not yet found a way of NOT transferring these to any other drive (SD, HD, etc) without the files.

All my extra files (one per track) start with ._ and appear as a block prior to the MP3 files. Seems yours might be slightly different to that, but the solution will still be the same I suspect.

Thanks - how do I delete them on the Bolero unit? I don't have access to a PC.

It depends whether the original source has that info on each track. Some CD's don't, but as far as I can tell it only displays the track name.

When I put a CD in the player, a genuine one not a copy and I play the CD the only information it says on the Belero screen is

Track 1 ( or the current track number played ), no artists name or album. Do I have to press something to display this information. If I have 6 CD's in the player I can't tell which CD is in which position, I have to remember which order I fed them into the player.

Some of my CDs have track names but most do not. It's down to the individual CD. If you rip a CD on a PC using Media Player you can set Media Player it to check on line for album, track, artist etc. Once copied to SD card all the info is displayed. No idea how a MAC or iTunes would handle this.

Edited by Hairball

For media files it's just taking details from the ID3 tags in the .mp3 file. Mine shows Artist, Track and Album as I set those up when ripping from the original CD. Haven't actually tried with a CD so far. I think the standard is CD TEXT (or along those lines) that supports track details to be picked up by the player, and I'm not sure how widespread that became.

Edited by dbg400

On the Mac you will have to go into the terminal and type a command to show hidden files (google for instructions) then look on the SD card and delete the small files, they are usually 4kb.

As for information displayed on the screen, if you go to your track, press cmd i then you can type all info in the relevant boxes that you want to be displayed.

Takes a little time but worth it.

Thanks - how do I delete them on the Bolero unit? I don't have access to a PC.

I think using the above info is the quickest way- my SD card displays the same withe _ before every file.

On the Columbus, if you press the box beside at the end right hand of the name you get several options: copy, delete the etc. press the one that you want!! Job done. It is slow.

I found a "program" that shows all files on my Mac. I could then see the extra files on the SD card, whoopee I thought, just delete them and away we go. But, no, as soon as I reinsert the SD card into the Bolero unit the files reappear! Could it be the Bolero unit creating the files?

Are you sure these files are not DRM protected? That could be a reason. Depends on how old your files are, iTunes changed its policy some years ago, but before that, files were copy protected and not playable on other types of equipment. This applies only if the files that you're trying to play are bought through iTunes, obviously.

It's a Mac issue!

Copying any file to a portable HD on a Mac results in a file that is invisible to the Mac appearing when the HD is plugged in to a PC and 'Show hidden files' is enabled.

It's not a DRM issue as you would have to 'crack' the DRM in order to create an MP3 in the first place.

It's a Mac issue!

Copying any file to a portable HD on a Mac results in a file that is invisible to the Mac appearing when the HD is plugged in to a PC and 'Show hidden files' is enabled.

It's not a DRM issue as you would have to 'crack' the DRM in order to create an MP3 in the first place.

So no solution then - just have to live with it?