Running-In Information

CortinaGT

There is little information available on the .net, or from the dealers on the details of running-in the Citigo.

However, the manual does contain this on page 94, which I have quoted and then converted the information to imperial in the bracketed items:

"The engine has to be run-in during the first 1,500 kilometres (932 miles - note HAS to be run-in).

Up to 1000 kilometres (622 miles)

Do not drive faster than 3/4 of the maximum speed of the gear in use, i.e. 3/4 of the maximum permissble engine speed. (approx 4,500rpm for the 60ps and 4,600 rpm for the 75ps engine)

No full throttle. Avoid high engine speeds. Do not tow a trailer.

From 1000 up to 1500 kilometres (932 miles)

Gradually increase the power output of the engine up to the full speed of the gear engaged, i.e. up to the maximum permissable engine speed."

In addition the manual recommends the brake pads be run-in for 200km (125 miles) and the tyres be run-in for 500km (311 miles)

I personally would recommend ignoring the gearchange indicator for at least the first 1000 kilometres, unless you are running on light throttle on the flat. This is really only an aid for economy. I found it very noticable how low the revs were if you followed the indicator and gear 'chatter' and noise does become evident simply because one is actually driving in too high a gear! In my opinion it is far better to keep the engine turning over smoothly on a light throttle at higher revs.

I hope all you new owners collecting your 62 plate cars find this useful!

Edited by CortinaGT
  • Like 3

I also had one litre of oil provided in a zipped bag velcroed to the boot side of the rear seat on delivery. I wonder if this latest VAG power unit is also designed to use oil like my L&K 2.0PDI engine back in 2006? I had read it was a 'close tolerance' design and that would imply not!

I assume everyone else received the same complementary oil with their new cars?

I also had one litre of oil provided in a zipped bag velcroed to the boot side of the rear seat on delivery. I wonder if this latest VAG power unit is also designed to use oil like my L&K 2.0PDI engine back in 2006? I had read it was a 'close tolerance' design and that would imply not!

I assume everyone else received the same complementary oil with their new cars?

Yes, i have the litre bottle of oil strapped into the bag too!

So, does the "Close tolerance" design signify high oil consumption or not?

I cannot find the reference to 'close tolerance' which I read a while back, but the most comprehensive engine specification document I can find is from the VW Up! forum - link below:

http://www.upownersclub.co.uk/vw-up/up-engines/

Much is made of the design using low friction. So perhaps this means that although the machining tolerances are extremely fine, to prevent friction the gaps between the piston, rings and bores might be slightly greater than an engine that need no oil between services. Perhaps this is why they have supplied us with the spare oil bottle!

• Like 1

That running-in info seems to be standard across the Skoda range; certainly the same as my Octavia's was a few years ago.

Overall, don't let the engine labour and moderate revs are fine i.e. use 4th on a M'way incline, don't labour in 5th. Engine speed variation is the best.

I'd agree that the gear change indicator is definitely Eco biased and following it whilst running in is not recommended.

• 2 weeks later...

Most Citigo purchasers are not aware of the Skoda recommendations for running-in and are probably too excited to read the manual!! Many in the trade don't seem to believe that some engines work better in the long-run for a bit of TLC in their early days and say modern engines don't need running-in.

This information is therefore important, so perhaps somehow keeping this item near the forum top, or pinning is a good idea. Does anybody know how to request consideration?

Edited by CortinaGT
  • Like 1

Plus does anyone know if the fuel economy can improve after running the engine in?

Just noticed your question. In theory driven the same as you would whilst running-in, or driving steadily - yes. The problem is that as the Citigo is so much fun, you likely will drive it harder and rev it more to hear the lovely engine sound!! I was getting an indicated 63mpg in the early stages, but now as I open it up more, I'm down to the low 50's!!

Perhaps the 1lr bottle of oil we get is something to do with the stitched in Castrol logo on the owners manual pouch.

A promotional thing, not becuase they may use that much oil between services. Only time will tell.

Mick

Perhaps the 1lr bottle of oil we get is something to do with the stitched in Castrol logo on the owners manual pouch.

A promotional thing, not becuase they may use that much oil between services. Only time will tell.

Mick

my thoughts were the same! think it's just for advertisement!, always handy though!

Handy thread, although I am personally used to the Skoda running in proceedures.

We should see improvements to fuel economy as the miles start to build up.

Admittedly, it is a different engine. But having said that I've always found economy to be around 10% worse in the first thousand miles to once you pass about 5,000.

But it's easy to lose this as you flex the engine a bit more and press on.

Haha yea, its only started showing those values since i started driving differently because i was getting high 50s following the gear changer and using 5th at 30mph but soon realised that was labouring the engine more! And found out about this whole running in thing, So since im temporarily driving 30mph in 3rd its using more fuel it seems, either way ive only used quarter of a tank and ive done 140 miles so happy either way :)

In every Skoda I've had I've always completely ignored the gear change indicator.

The problem is that not only does it try to be super economical all the time, but it also has no idea of vehicle load, gradient, wind etc...

So by following it you end up at low engine revs with the engine labouring getting worse economy than if you dropped a gear and raised the revs.

• Like 2

I followed it for all of 1 mile and decided, it can't be correct. I mean change up to 5th at just over 30mph.

No, I'll stick with my way of driving it's done me well in over 40 years. I'll listen to the engine, but sometimes I can't hear it, it's really quiet but I am being gentle at the moment with the old right foot.

Mick

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

My car is an ex demo, it had 1600 miles on it when i brought it, goodness only knows how it's been driven when it was supposed to be run in....

Collecting my ex demo on Saturday. I think running engines in is a bit of a nonsense with modern engine technology.

"The engine has to be run-in during the first 1,500 kilometres"

I can only quote what is written in the Citigo manual. It does not say that it should be, it says it has to be. The decision is yours. (Unless you have bought a demo or second hand car, of course! ;-))

Also there are many other components in the running gear that need bedding-in other than the engine.

Congratulations on getting a Citigo!

Edited by CortinaGT