Dark_Hero's Evil Fabia

Dark_Hero

May be nothing, clutching at straws I guess but can give similar symptoms to head gasket failure and doesn't cost much.

I've ran more than that with stock head gasket and new PD150 head bolts for over 2 year trouble free, choice is always yours tho. Maybe start a thread and see what people run with what power :)

• 2 months later...

So 2016 was a bit of an expensive and disastrous year for the Fabia.

The clutch fell apart

The heating started to play up (either very hot or cold) v68 motor kaput

Headlift after track days requiring a new head gasket etc

one of the 330mm d2 discs cracked and split

And to top it off the company I sent my steering wheel to for customisation seems to have disappeared off the face of the earth.

Wanting 2017 to be a better year I thought I'd make a start to fix the heater.

Ordered a new v68 motor from Skoda and got cracking.

Took half of the interior apart Only to find that it was the wrong version, so had to put it all back together.

Hopefully get the correct replacement next week

Oh no, bad news about the steering wheel!

It can get you down when stuff keeps happening and gets on top of you.

Once you get everything sorted you will love the car even more than before! On a plus side at least you have part numbers now

• Like 1

Yes definitely. PayPal have refunded me for the cost of the customisation I paid for, but need to recover the cost/ recover the wheel itself.

It really does make you question why you bother modifying sometimes when lots goes wrong

Shame to hear of your problems mate.

2016 has been exactly the same for me too. And the start of this year might not be much better lol.

Was yours a standard steering wheel? The seat Leon frwheel I have is rather nice to use.

Shame to hear of your problems mate.

2016 has been exactly the same for me too. And the start of this year might not be much better lol.

Was yours a standard steering wheel? The seat Leon frwheel I have is rather nice to use.

Annoyingly no, It was a golf r32 one.

• 2 weeks later...

Since the brake disc cracked and split back in November, I thought it was a good time to start to clean up and service the brakes.

the bolts holding the retaining pins were a little stiff on the drivers side, but eventually gave way

the pads didn't want to come out so had to struggle with them, but they eventually worked free.

then it was time to start giving them a clean

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

then hit a problem with the passenger side 

image.jpeg

still got got the other one to try and remove, but lost all motivation.

really doing my head in now

• Like 1

Snapped the pad retaining bolt Charlie? I assume its snapped clean off flush with the caliper body?

Get a tiny steel drill bit down the middle then try and get a hole big enough for an easy out to try and crack it out. Pain in the A$$ though aint it?

4 hours ago, 32KOFDATA said:

Those brakes look nice - do you know by any chance if they are heavier than the stock 312mm?

The calipers are quite light, but it's the discs that weigh more. Approx 8kg each

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

After a couple of years and a few bits of roadkill, my lower grille was coming away in, so had some time to re do it. Whilst the bumper was off I decided to fit a rhino lip splitter. A little trial and error, but looks pretty goodIMG_6138.thumb.JPG.1a3e3501a8aec9c322bb11dffd1b5212.JPG

IMG_6139.thumb.JPG.acc55e183b52057d3f74acee5d6860ca.JPG

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

IMG_6184.thumb.JPG.2f65183afa7241380c1c9f212dd65191.JPGIMG_6185.thumb.JPG.9cf0b6c333182427f546bc6cf78c2199.JPG

Now the brakes have been overhauled and new discs and pads have arrived, I have finally got them refitted :)

also replaced the fluid with motul rbf600. Looking forward to getting them bedded in now.

had the battery fail on me as well today which was a pain. Luckily my brother has one which came from his Octavia.

i could do with some new discs and pads for the rear, but not essential at the moment 

• Like 2