Sat nav

lannen55

Cheers for that , prob a silly question but u got any idea what the cheap ones are like on eBay ? A think most them are from hong kong like so prob crap

Get a skoda one! The hk ones are crap! I had one for 3 months before I got rid as they're poor in comparison.

Edited by mattievrs

Get a skoda one! The hk ones are crap! I had one for 3 months before I got rid as they're poor in comparison.

OE stereos usually aren't great. The only reason to get one IMO is if you have maxidot enabled dash.

Aftermarket is probably better, but the choice is quite bewildering, and most units seem to use some unknown navigation software and have proprietary map updates fixed to the unit type. I spent a short amount of time recently trying to research possibilities.

The new Alpine ones look interesting to me, as they use iGo Primo out of the box. Quite pricey though.

I would guess the 8" version won't fit the Fabia, due to the non-standard front, which seems to drop down below the double din size, and is extended left and right. http://www.caraudiod...igation-xl.html I have found a pic of it which I have put below.

6" version http://shop.alpine.u...8.1013582.0.0.0

For TomTom the only possibility is the Sony stereos, but they seem to have relatively weak user interfaces. E.g. http://caraudiosecurity.com/shop/product/products_id/14344.html

I guess you can only tell if these meet your needs once you have a play, so might be worth a trip around a few "proper" car audio shops that have them on display, (forget about Halfords). As usual, the biggest expense with these things is often the map updates - which is the thing to bear in mind really.

7542492430_658f1590d6_c.jpg

Edited by anewman

The problem with the aftermarket ones I found were they were incredibly expensive, knocking on for £1000 and most I looked at you couldnt remove the face, meaning it`ll be nicked after a week. Which was why I went for a skoda one, looks right in the dash, cheap and wont be nicked (ok less chance).

most I looked at you couldnt remove the face, meaning it`ll be nicked after a week.

Most have a code system, so once it gets disconnected it needs the code. Though unfortunately there's a thriving industry in decoding them so probably not a problem for your average experienced thief.

Some of the aftermarket ones do have a small removable panel on the left (if they're not the one with a minute strip of buttons across the bottom).

Out of interest, which are the OE ones that fit? And which of those are the best? Is RNS 510 the one?

Also I guess the main reason I personally would choose to go aftermarket would be for pre-outs (for amps etc) - which I suspect the OE units don't have. Plus aftermarket units have direct connections for usb and ipod. These can be added to OE units, but are often cumbersome and rely on an aux input and you have to press the buttons on the unit.

Edited by anewman