DSG problem on Octavia II

Hi,

I picked up a new-to-me Approved Used Octavia with DSG today (2008 2.0tdi estate) and after the long drive home it's evident that something's not right.

Basically, the problem is as follows. When I lift off the brake, the car should creep. However, rather than creeping smoothly, it surges every couple of seconds, especially when on a slope, making the car hard to control. It's even worse in reverse.

Obviously something's wrong and I intend to get it sorted under the warranty, but I was wondering if anyone has experienced this before and has any idea of the cause? Is this the dreaded mechatronics failure I have heard about?

Thanks in advance.

• 2 weeks later...

OK, thought I'd post an update on this.

I took the car into the local Skoda dealership yesterday (unfortunately not the supplying dealer, as they are over 100 miles away from me). I demonstrated the faults to a technician (not the master tech) - lurching when creeping on a slope, jerky takeoff, jerky behaviour in first gear. Faults more evident when car is fully warmed up.

They did a software update and claimed the problems were all fixed. Driving home it was evident that the car was still behaving exactly the same, confirmed by an extended test drive later that evening.

After discussions with the local dealer and the supplying dealer, I have decided to take the car straight to the supplying dealer at the expense of an afternoon off work. I am now afraid that after a test drive I will be told that this behaviour is a normal DSG "characteristic".

So I'd like some friendly advice from this forum please! Before I make a wasted journey, can DSG owners please tell how a properly operating DSG box *should* behave.

This is my understanding of how DSG should behave:

- Lifting off the brake, the car should smoothly move forward slowly with no lurching. On a moderate slope, the car should hold on the clutch (until the clutch gets hot, when it will automatically release).

- Behaviour in reverse should be the same as in 1st gear.

- Moving off at junctions etc. should be smooth, with no kangarooing.

- There should be no clunking when changing gear (I sometimes get this from 2nd to 1st when coming to a stop)

Is my understanding correct? I'm happy to stand corrected, but I find it hard to believe that the behaviour I am experiencing is normal.

Thanks!

Your understanding is correct.

On a slope you may have to have a bit of throttle applied to hold it, but apart from that what you say is how it should behave,

Does sound a bit like a Mechatronics failure.

My DSG behaves OK and not at all like what you are describing. When in Drive or Reverse just lift off the pedal and on the level car moves off smoothly. On a hill you will need a bit of accelerator but still should be smooth.

The only issue I get at junctions and roundabouts is that you can leap forward if you put in too much "gas" pedal. Others have mentioned this and the solution they adopt is to move lever into manual.

Never had any clunking when changing gears. Sounds like you need to get it back to the dealer and if they have another DSG on their forecourt take that out for a test drive with a tech then yours to convince them what is happening.

wat u've described is certainly not normal.

the dealer is simply trying to get out of having to replace the mechatronics unit on urs.

i'd keep pestering them, or get a 2nd/3rd opinions.

Thanks - that's what I thought. As I said, it's going to a different dealer next week (the one I bought the car from). Taking a drive in a different (perferably brand new) DSG is an excellent idea, and I will ask to do this for comparison. Can't stand being taken for a fool.

I'd agree with what's been written here on the normal operation of a DSG. I've had mine for nearly 3 weeks now and have not experienced any of the same problems that you've described. Get it back to them and don't let them fob you off with any excuses. Something's wrong and they need to fix it.

Simple - Sale of Goods Act. Don't understand why you are mucking about - take it back to the dealer you got it from and reject the vehicle as not fit for purpose. I would go so far as saying thats potentially a dangerous vehicle as well and you could possibly not have full control over it.

My answers/comments are in bold

NB I have a different gearbox to you - mine is a 25k mile old 7 speed dry clutch version but I have driven the 6 speed wet clutch version in a Passat 2.0 diesel and apart from the slight jolt/clunk when selecting D or R from N/P on the 6 speed which is totally absent from the 7 speed, they drive the same. I have also driven the 7 speed in 2 other 1.6 CR diesel Octavias - as smooth and silky as my 1.8TSi (the gearbox - not the engine :giggle: ).

My comments below are true whether the engine/gearbox are hot or cold.

[your] understanding of how DSG should behave:

- Lifting off the brake, the car should smoothly move forward slowly with no lurching. On a moderate slope, the car should hold on the clutch (until the clutch gets hot, when it will automatically release).

I assume you mean with foot off the throttle? On the flat or very gentle slope then yes. On a moderate slope mine stays stationary on the auto hill hold but when that releases it rolls back down the hill - it doesn't hold on the clutch

Yes - as my comments above

Yes - whether moving off gently, under really hard full throttle acceleration and all points in between

- There should be no clunking when changing gear (I sometimes get this from 2nd to 1st when coming to a stop)

Yes - my gear changes are undetectable - silent and smooth. Only exception is in "S" mode when braking moderately hard down to a halt there is a slight lurch from 3 to 2 and a slightly more noticeable lurch 2 to 1, but this really is nit-picking and is probably due to extra engine braking as the lower gear is engaged rather than lack of smoothness in the gearbox. This is the only time you know it has changed gear other than by looking at the rev counter or the gear indicator in the maxidot (yes! the 1.8TSi really is that quiet!!).

This is my understanding of how DSG should behave:

Exactly how mine drives

Octavis TSi FL Vrs with DSG ( 11 plate )

I test drove a Scout 103TDI DSG and it lurched and all that.

I put it down to it being an automated manual.

It put me right off considering DSG's... Although, I was going Manual, anyway. ;)

Foot off brake - wait for a sec, then it takes off!

Foot slightly on brake, it'll slow right down, and then the clutch will disengage and stop like a manual - I.E. no engine pull!

I must say that I have not driven any DSG that moves away smoothly. It is more of a smooth lurch forwards. They can be tricky to move forwards just a couple of inches because of this.

They do not drive like a torque converter automatic which is very smooth.

When going up a steep hill and say coming to a halt, but very slowly, as soon as I lift off the throttle, there is a jerk as the clutch disengages. It doesn't happen if I have been using the brakes, but it does if I am only using the throttle and only doing 2-3mph maximum. Likewise reversing up a steep slope can be tricky. This has been noted many times in many DSG threads over time. It takes getting used to. Very low speed manoeuvres with a DSG is s skill you acquire but is a doddle in a 'normal' auto.

I also have a slight clunk when it drops down into 1st.

The car does not kangaroo when moving off, but on the odd occasion it has done so when part warm, normally in 2nd or 3rd gear. Not noticed it in 1st.

Edited by rockhopper

OK, update...

The car went back to the supplying dealership today. I went on a road test with a tech, and the initial response was the usual 'well, these gearboxes are a bit odd' excuse. I demonstrated the fault (repetetive lurching on a slope) and got little response and no acknowledgement of a fault. Then we tested another Octavia with DSG for comparison, and lo and behold this car behaved perfectly on the same slope - a smooth creep both in drive and reverse after the initial clutch take-up. The tech acknowledged that my car wasn't behaving the same and agreed to take the car in and contact Skoda for advice.

I now feel I have at least crossed the first hurdle by getting the dealer to admit something's amiss. Now I have to wait and see what happens.

Really I feel the techs don't seem to know the proper behaviour of these gearboxes very well - or they are trying to fob people off.