New Citigo broke after 1 hour!

VickyM

This is a bit long so I apologise in advance!

I picked up my brand new Citigo on Sunday 2nd September and was really pleased.

I drove home, called in the Mum-in-law's for a cuppa and to show off our new cars (my husband took delivery of one on the same day), got back in the car and the digital display pod was blank.

I couldn't believe it, I'd only had it an hour!

So I phoned the dealer on the Monday to get it booked in. They booked it in for the following week. Not having a petrol gauge, trip meter etc was an inconvenince, but it wasn't the end of the world.

My husband drove my car that day and said the steering was pulling to the right. Didn't do it when I was driving it and we never thought that much more about it. The next day, I was driving the car and it pulled really sharply to the left this time. It felt like someone had a hold of the steering wheel and I was fighting to keep it straight.

We were passing the dealer, so we called in and left it with them because it's dangerous and we have our 7 month old baby with us in the car, so I'm not going to take any risks.

Anyway, to cut a long story short, it's taken 3 and a half weeks for them to get the digital display pod it arrived and they fitted it today. As the steering isn't throwing up a fault code, Skoda UK are of the opinion that there isn't anything wrong with it and put it down to one of the tyre pressures being low. Bit of a feeble explanation as it wouldn't pull one way and then the other but at the moment there's nothing else I can do. They're running one more test on it tomorrow via the Skoda factory and if that doesn't come up with anything, it'll be ready to pick up Monday next week.

We've been looking at the Up forum and see there are reports of steering problems on there and I see that the steering problems have sarted on here too, so thought I'd post my experience.

I think we have delivered around 25 Citigos now and no problems as yet, touch wood.

The steering fault is an odd one. The steering system on the Citigo has an electric motor on the column, maybe the issue is there. It's new technology to us in the dealers so I know it's a pain but stick with us.

The dealer should have taken the car back in straight away,not the following week or was that what you asked for?.

I would suggest also, if it is feasible/convenient, that if the car is exhibiting the problem to drive straight to the garage, don't turn the engine off, and insist on the appropriate garage person to drive it. Perhaps drive it first yourself again, to make sure it is still present, and then hand over. This being as that the issue seems to reset to default when the engine is turned off. I have suggested in another thread I unwittingly started on the topic that, the issue may be related to a 'centering' feature of the steering going awry. This is a google translation from a description of the electro/mechanical steering unit, which is made by NSK (the highlight is not mine)

"The NSK Steering also controls an automatic centering in the center position, which is to improve safety and comfort because fewer corrective movements are necessary. It also can be programmed: This can, for example, the steering characteristics to adapt to different axle loads, as it will be necessary for other variants of the Up. Unlike in the early days of electromechanical steering systems - were designed as hydraulic steering systems usually better - programmability allows a very good tuning - can be matched by software exactly how to feel the steering is."

Some links to show it is not an isolated issue for some people.

http://www.upownersc...1517_page1.html

http://www.motor-tal...chmentId=712323

http://translate.goo...Suju9a8gVF3aHSw

On page 4 of the Up! owners forum thread above there are some google translations of links to Germany where similar issue has been experienced.

Edited by Liam2

Here's an update on my steering problem.

Skoda have now had my car over 4 weeks.

We got a call from them on Tuesday to say that my car had been hooked up to the Skoda factory all weekend running all sorts of diagnostics on it.

They have now said they have found a fault and are replacing a part.

I'm not sure what part they're replacing, but it's the steering's ECU.

So that's good news. However, the bad news is the part is on back order and they have no idea when we'll be getting it.

I'll update when I know more.

Cheers

Vicky

• Like 1

Here's an update on my steering problem.

Skoda have now had my car over 4 weeks.

We got a call from them on Tuesday to say that my car had been hooked up to the Skoda factory all weekend running all sorts of diagnostics on it.

They have now said they have found a fault and are replacing a part.

I'm not sure what part they're replacing, but it's the steering's ECU.

So that's good news. However, the bad news is the part is on back order and they have no idea when we'll be getting it.

I'll update when I know more.

Cheers

Vicky

Thanks for reporting back Vicky. This information will be helpful to others who may have this problem, and help garages to focus. I checked on 'ECU' and it usually stands for Engine Control Unit, but it can also be used as a generic term for a system controller, in this case I would guess they are referring to the steering ECU. My understanding is that steering ECU's reset when the engine is turned off......if correct this could explain why the issue has resolved when that is done...until next time.

It's good that Skoda have been directly involved, as this might/should result in their dealer service knowledge base being updated.

• 2 weeks later...

I've finally got my Citigo back after 36 days and *touch wood* it seems OK.

It would have been 35 days had I not turned up to collect it to find it was dirty, had stains on the seats and the speedo glass had a massive gouge in it.

To say I was furious was an understatement! 50 mile trip for nothing didn't go down well.

They then delivered the next day in the condition it should have been in.

They;ve replaced the steering module and updated various bits of software so hopefully it's all sorted.

So pleased to have it parked back on the drive, just need to get out and start putting some miles on it now!

Well that's good news in the end. You have been exceptionally patient. I just hate leaving a car in for service. I'm always afraid of damage. Hope you have no more issues.