Digital dash not working

trips

I have a 04 octi 1.9tdi 90PD ambiente SE. I had a new starter fitted today and when I picked up my octi the digital parts of dash are not working. Neither the mileage readout or the clock/computer screen are working. Does anyone have any idea what could be causing the problem

You need to check all the fuses, it simply sounds like one has blown. The cluster is protected by a number of fuses, and this could be why some things still work but the clock does not. Remember when looking at the fuse diagram its for a left hand drive car, so you need to mirror the diagram to identify each fuse.

Have dropped car back to garage. New starter seems faulty. Don't think that would effect dash though.

The analog part of dash works perfect but no digital readout. All was fine before went in for new starter. Hopefully dodgy starter interfering with signal and will work once good starter fitted

New starter fitted again still no digital dash though. Car has been plugged into computer and came up with no error messages. Think will have to phone local Skoda dealer see if they have had any experience with this sort of problem

Even when removing a battery, you will not lose the mileage (clock yes, but not the total mileage) and that is because although they are both digital, they are stored differently altogether... (anybody else thinking along these lines?)

1. garage? what, where?

2. why did you get given a faulty started in the first place? did you agree on a reconditioned unit?

3. When was the last time you scanned the ecu for faults?

4. result of fuse check?

5. Have a check in the engine bay, which parts are shiny with fresh finger prints? especially the area around the wipers.

Was my local garage have used for years without any trouble.

Was a brand new starter

Ecu was scanned less than 6 months ago with nothing showing

All fuses are good

Only new part is starter no finger prints anywhere else at all

• 2 weeks later...

New alternator has sorted dash out but battery light is on and battery not charging. Have taken one alternator back as that wasn't charging. On 2nd new alternator and still nothing thinking something else causing problem. Anybody got any ideas what could be causing problem

I can't see any burn marks on connectors for the cable and fuses seem ok. I will take it off and check it end to end. Apart from visual check what should I look for

Ends of cable looks ok to me not burned out and connections don't look frayed. Some parts of insulation doesn't look best chunks missing but can't see wire but I havnt poked and prodded those area get to make sure.

Battery is showing 13+ volts when car not running but when started drops to around 12. It should go above 14 shouldn't it

You need to check all the fuses, it simply sounds like one has blown. The cluster is protected by a number of fuses, and this could be why some things still work but the clock does not. Remember when looking at the fuse diagram its for a left hand drive car, so you need to mirror the diagram to identify each fuse.

+1

The permanent supply to the dash is via fuse F15

This may sound very odd however give it a go. Are you any good with a volt meter? If so monitor the voltage across the battery terminals while the cars running- if it shows below 13/13.5v there's an issue but the added twist here would be to then go and turn your head lights on. If the voltage then jumps up to 13v I reckon your voltage regulator is goosed too! It'll not be an alternator issue if it manages to jump the voltage up when load is called upon ; ) this may or may not apply to your model car

Guest BigJase88

Alternator load sensor wire

Theres 2 cables that run below battery tray over the top of the gearbox

Either one can break as they are tight throughout the vag range

One of them is for the batt warning light. Easy to tell as on start up theres no batt light displayed on dash

The other one (in your case) will cause the alternator not to charge the battery at low revs, over 2,500 rpm it will then charge battery, easy was to tell is to get someone to rev the engine passed 2,500 rpm then see if it starts charging