How to make it louder?

Gumby

I removed my middle silencer,it's sounds great,more aggressive and only cost me a tenner(bargain!!) I've been told by my local skoda garage that only the exhaust is not covered on my warranty now because of the mod,I would reccomend doing this to all vrs's!!!

Was it WHOLE of the exhaust or just the back part which is not covered due tothe mod? Down pipe / cat is rather more expensive than the back part...

Also, wouldn't they have to provide an argument when refusing warran cover that the mod was directly responsible for a failure/malfunction?

http://www.skoda.co.uk/GBR/Documents/Warranty%20Booklet_single.pdf - bottom left of page 6 would suggest that you may do whatever but if this causes damage/malfunction it will not be covered by the warranty.

Just a quick question about removing the middle box. I have been told today that the middle box creates a small amount of back pressure, when it is removed the car needs remapping because of the back pressure drop and if not remapped the fuel economy will go down as will performance.

I call on your expertise before I get the burners out and remove the middle box, is this the case?

• 1 month later...

OK, I had the Fabia up on the ramp this morning and I want to see some pictures from you guys who have removed the centre box, it is almost joined to a bend! The back of the centre box is easy as it is joined there. Did you also replace the support bracket when the box was replaced?

So did you cut close to the front of the centre box or did you chop below the bend and replace the box with a bent piece of pipe?

I was also thinking about opening the join and removing the baffles in the centre box so it will look un touched, or maybe slide a straight pipe through the box.

Any images would be good, thanks.

• 2 months later...

Just had this done today. Sounds good. It's equivalent to the sound I had on my old Focus with a sports muffler: more or less quiet in "normal" driving, with a bit more meat under acceleration. Nothing that will upset the noise police, however.

Not here in Western Australia. As long as it doesn't go above a certain level of decibels (95?), it's OK. V8's and turbo 4's with fart-cannon exhausts are much louder than this mod on this car, so I wouldn't expect to be picked up. I can't speak for the UK, though.

Edited by OzFabia

Remove middle silencer. A few have done it on here, sounds good and only cost about £70-£100

would this be Ok to do on a diesel ?

Edited by charles

OzFabia,

it is not illegal here either.

The police might stop over noisy cars.

That will give them the excuse to check it over closely. Check the Insurance etc,

Call a qualified officer to give an opinion on it etc.

Issue a G9 if they think it is too noisy & that would require you to possibly have it MOT'd or inspected.

no requirement for Type Approved exhaust parts. (yet!)

No question of them being illegal if not causing a noise nuisance.

(Anti Social)

But at the UK MOT the tester is still the one that decides if the exhaust is near to being a standard noise.

No test on it, just his ears.

http://www.ukmot.com/6-3.asp#Text_top

Then there is meeting the emissions & fitting of CATS if that is the requirement at the MOT on petrol engines.

george

Just been reading up on this. Apparently any modification to the exhaust which makes it louder, apart from approved exhausts, is considered illegal in the eyes of the law?

Absolutely its a specific offence

From Construction and use

illegal to modify any exhaust to increase noise or alter the flow path of exhaust gases

its possible to also fall foul of the S59 regulations simply if a police officer believes the car to be too loud (yes its a lousy law)

illegal to modify any exhaust to increase noise or alter the flow path of exhaust gases

its possible to also fall foul of the S59 regulations simply if a police officer believes the car to be too loud (yes its a lousy law)

Which would mean almost every single aftermarket exhaust system, or even a mere muffler, is illegal. :devil:

Edited by OzFabia

Section 59's suck. You have no option to challange them at all as its up to the officer.

OzFabia,

this is what Section 59 is about.

& i agree that noisy exhausts in and around residential areas is a PITA.

Even openning it up out in country areas can bug people that are on that bit of road where everyone d1cking does the same thing.

It hardly stops you from having a modified or tuned fast motor, just no need to spoil peoples peace when trying to sleep.

http://www.en.wikipe...Reform_Act_2002

george

PS

Scottish Law is different from the rest of the UK. Even if Traffic Acts are the same.

'Corroboration' is required for starters and you can challenge an Officer, but on your own head be it..

It is why Police etc go about in 2's in Scotland.

Which would mean almost every single aftermarket exhaust system, or even a mere muffler, is illegal. :devil:

Not at necessarily, modifying a car by fitting a replacement exhaust which happens to be louder than the oem one is not at all the same as modifying a standard exhaust to make it louder

Many cars come from the factory with an "option" exhaust which is louder than the mainstream model

This law was designed to stop people fitting "cherry bomb" silencers , removing oem silencers or baffle material or cutting the exhaust off or even making holes in it to increase the noise.

Thats very different to fitting a replacement system which "happens" to be louder than stock

Of course now it matters not when you are "judged" by either an mot inspector or police officer and are subject to their opinion rather than a law but sound testing is being carried out by some forces

Did nobody wonder why section U is now completed on the V5 ??

Ah well, mine's not loud enough to cause offence. In fact, I'm not sure it's specifically louder so much as different. You can hear the changes (even if you still don't always feel them). I too agree it's a PITA if people let rip on suburban streets, especially at night. Especially in modified Subaru WRX's. :bandit: