Broken wires

Hi guys,

Had a nosy under my car today as still trying to get to the bottom of the ABS problem. Whilst underneath I found a wire sheath with 2 thin wires in that look like they should be connected, but aren't. They are on N/S near the gearbox, I can see where they fit into but they have snapped clean off the connector. Does anyone know, from the description and the pics, what these wires are for, and could they be the source of the problem. Its the purple wire I'm concerned about.

Thanks in advance

Pics:

2012-10-06134430.jpg

2012-10-06134512.jpg

2012-10-06134439.jpg

That 'purple' wire must have a green stripe on it and the other wire must be blue. Those two wires come from the alternator. If you were to scan the car you would find that the ABS unit is complaining about the DFM signal which is the lilac/green.

It's a common fault because the cables are an inch too short.

The best way to fix it is to buy a repair wire, cut in half, put the connector ends in the connector shell and splice the other ends onto the existing wires. It's best to use heat shrink sleeving. The blue wire (D+) goes to pin 1 and the lilac/green (DFM) goes to pin 2.

vindaloo - that's exactly it, thank you - my car does have an alternator code saying implausible signal.

rwbaldwin - do you know if this would cause the ABS to kick in every time the brake pedal is pushed? This happens on mine at the moment, but could fixing these wires solve it?

Thanks you both

vindaloo - that's exactly it, thank you - my car does have an alternator code saying implausible signal.

rwbaldwin - do you know if this would cause the ABS to kick in every time the brake pedal is pushed? This happens on mine at the moment, but could fixing these wires solve it?

Thanks you both

If the fault code is implausible signal for DFM or DF, then yes, fixing the wires should fix your ABS problem, although it's always possible you have another fault. Can you read ABS[03] for fault codes?

Yes, the code for alternator is:

17911 - Load Signal from Alternator Term. DF: Implausible Signal P1503 - 35-10 - - - Intermittent

ABS does also have a fault:

01316 - ABS Control Module 49-10 - No Communications - Intermittent

I've been told could be sensor rings (have been checked and ruled out), or could mean having to replace ABS module, but would rather not fork out £1000+ to find this cable was the problem. WIll get cracking trying to fix these cables and see what happens. Thanks again!

Yes, the code for alternator is:

17911 - Load Signal from Alternator Term. DF: Implausible Signal P1503 - 35-10 - - - Intermittent

ABS does also have a fault:

01316 - ABS Control Module 49-10 - No Communications - Intermittent

I've been told could be sensor rings (have been checked and ruled out), or could mean having to replace ABS module, but would rather not fork out £1000+ to find this cable was the problem. WIll get cracking trying to fix these cables and see what happens. Thanks again!

Get the alternator cables fixed first and the clear all the codes. If the fault returns, you will need to check the wiring to the ABS module. It could be the ABS module, but don't discount a wiring problem as it's not uncommon.

Ok, I'm going to have a crack at repairing this myself. Just one question - what kind of wire do I need? I have found a few on eBay that look like they might do the trick, and have the right colours so I can keep things the same, but not sure on amp, cable thickness, etc.

I've found this i think might do the job, but just want to check as I don't need any melted wires or a fire :whew:

I would get a repair wire from the dealer. They are 1m long and have the pin crimped on each end. Remove the broken pins fron the shell (or get a new shell), cut the repair wire in half and push the pins of the repair wire into the shell. Solder the ends of the repair wire halves to the wires from the alternator (see post #3) and insulate with heat shrink tubing.

I've rang Royce Roberts in Hull, they tried to sell me a full loom for £140. Tried TPS who looked but couldn't find the cable, but will keep looking and call me back. Do you have the part numbers for the cable and the connector? I'm sure they have it but they said they couldn't see it on their diagram!

Thanks, seems TPS cant locate the wire, they say it's not a part number. But yet I found it on skodaparts website! They also told me the shell was for central locking, but looking at my part it's the same number so I'll ask again tomorrow!

Thanks for your help!

Just DIY it. Some wiring salvaged from somwhere (other than the car ;) - I keep old PC wiring for this kind of thing), soldered if need be, but I'd be happy to crimp and insulate with tape. Definitely needs rejoining. Ensure plenty of slack. :)

Cool, my brother said he will look at 'borrowing' some PC wire from work, i've got a crimp tool and some heat shrink wraps in that case.

Why couldn't Skoda/VW just put enough slack in the 1st place??? :wonder:

Thanks, seems TPS cant locate the wire, they say it's not a part number. But yet I found it on skodaparts website! They also told me the shell was for central locking, but looking at my part it's the same number so I'll ask again tomorrow!

Thanks for your help!

Any of the following repair wires will do...

000979133 - 1.0mm wire

000979133A - 1.0mm wire, gold plated contact

000979225 - 2.5mm wire

000979225A - 2.5mm wire, gold plated contact

I would expect TPS to have all four in stock. They must have keyed in the wrong code as 000979133 is a very common item. They can find them listed as contact sets at the bottom of the electrical group page in ETKA.

Thanks again, the response from TPS was 'all our part numbers have a letter as the 2nd digit!'

Then they had the delight in telling me that I would only get walk in retail price not trade, like I didn't know that!

• 2 weeks later...

Just thought I would give you an update - finally got the wires fixed today (after nearly wrecking my car on the ramps - but I do love the smell of burning clutch :rock:)

Battery light now illuminates which is a good thing, but ABS still kicks in everytime I brake. Looks like it could be ABS module as it's still kicking out the code after clearing it :wall: . Will get a diagnostic done next week and find out the source once and for all.

But at least I have a battery light on my dash :whew:

• 1 month later...

Hello everyone :) First i have to say sorry im not native english speaker/writer but i try to do my best...:)

My broblem is this same code...17911 - Load Signal from Alternator Term. DF: Implausible Signal !

im all ready do this broken wire fix like those first pictures shows but i still get this error report...

Yep and when i turn my car key ignition posession then this red battery shows on and off courese when engine start to run it goes off :)

BUT ISSUE IS!! because ecu dosent get information how much alternataor works so it dosent but PTC on ..:( So is there any other place what i shud chek...(prehaps i have chek those wire what i all ready fix......

Yeah im sure i have those PTC thing in my car..;) and when i chek vcds there is no any % numbers which shud tell me how hard alternatation works. But it charges well ( vcds shows around + 14 Volt when engine runs about 800 rpm even i have all electrik thing on!)

Okey i chek wiering ones again and this time i just clean this small connector which was alternations side. I all so read again fault codes and and clear fault codes ..Tsadaa..those was away BUT still i do not get alternations load %. Is that ok than i do not get it? I havent get testet yet how about my PTC work... Or do i have still problem...