1.2 TSI TIMING CHAIN recall!

nick hall

I have been contacted by skoda UK after I complained and the have come back with 100% off the parts and 70% off the labour. All in all its £120 so not bad really considering it was going to be £700

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I have not seen it mentioned but I wonder what price a 3rd party mechanic would give for this work. OK you may have to buy the kit from Skoda but the labour cost could be cheaper. Also the cover is fairly accessible so maybe a home job.

I wouldn't say a he job really I understand it's quite a difficult job

It cannot be much more difficult than say a timing belt on an Audi TT.  There is absolutely no room to work without removing the front yet my neighbours son in law did one in 2 hours flat which included all the kit and the water pump. I watched and timed him on our joint driveway. He has small hands and thin arms. The timing chain access on the 1.2 is much more open.

Edited by DonjSZ5

It's not difficult. You do need special tools. You will need a puller to change the revised crank gear. You will need a correct crank shaft sleeve to refit the crank shaft oil seal. Top locking pin for camshaft. Crank locking tool. A counter hold to undo the crank pulley. Also change the oil pump chain because there slack and rattle too.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Someone else originally posted this VW PDF but it proves SUK are trying to fob you off.

attachicon.gifTPI 2026513-5 - Engine rattling noises from engine compartment when starting engine (ENG).pdf

TP

Thanks for this as it will allow me to move the discussion forward with something new and fresh. I was basically going round in circles with the supervisor and i think we were both losing the will to live 

Just keep complaining bud and tell them there is a tpi on the timing ( technical problem issued)

Will do. The supervisor was the one that suggested go to the ombudsman but the TPI hopefully gives them the opportunity to re-assess things. I brought the issue up with the same person who refused to accept any responsibility for the ignition lead failure i had. Maybe i should have brought it up separately with a different person. Great result for you anyway.

There is a guy on the other thread who was given a £3K bill for timing chain related engine failure. Hopefully the TPI will help him as well.

It should do like I said keep on to them and say if it's not resolved you will got to multimedia. That's if you have a full service history. Like I said it worked for me and they were really helpful

• 1 month later...

It should do like I said keep on to them and say if it's not resolved you will got to multimedia. That's if you have a full service history. Like I said it worked for me and they were really helpful

Hi Lee, Can you tell me which dealer you used in Manchester. I've a 1.2tsi thats very, very noisy on start up. it's a 60 plate car with 30k miles and full Skoda service history. It doesn't sound well at all. Cheers

Hi Lee, Can you tell me which dealer you used in Manchester. I've a 1.2tsi thats very, very noisy on start up. it's a 60 plate car with 30k miles and full Skoda service history. It doesn't sound well at all. Cheers

I can't help with the Manchester dealer, but I can assure you that there *is* a formal Skoda recall for timing chain replacement affecting VIN numbers in the range TMBxxx5LxA6000164 to 038113. The recall notice is in the Skoda Tech. Service Handbook with Workshop Campaign ref 15D9. My own new-to-me 12/2009 build 1.2 TSI went in for a replacement key to be coded, and was immediately picked up by the local dealer as being subject to the recall (and two others). Dealer was insistent they all had to be carried out, not that I was objecting, because it's obviously easy money, paid in full by Skoda.

The VIN range doesn't easily tally with the VW TPI posted by The Plumber (which refers to engine numbers earlier than 462774 for Mlada Boleslav units) but I can tell you that my engine number is below 013000 with a VIN below 023000. The VIN is therefore in the middle of the Skoda range, but the engine number is very early in the VW range. That might suggest that a late 2010 vehicle will be outside the VIN range, even though it might be within the VW engine number range.

Good luck - your FSH should stand you in good stead (compared to mine with *no* dealer service history).

Edited by gunzuiko

• 2 weeks later...

My 60 plate Fabia has just had the timing chain replaced, it was very noisy on start up and proved to be badly stretched.  The updated kit has been fitted and the cost met by Skoda, the car is obviously well out of warranty but at 30K miles with a full Skoda service history I was hopeful of some help. I can only say stand your ground should this happen to you and that the sale of goods act overrides anything a warranty offers .

• Like 3

Hi jgpp63, thanks for providing that info. I actually handed the car into get fixed yesterday to a different dealer to the one we bought the car from and used for servicing and the previous ignition lead failure repair (http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/273839-tsi-ht-lead-failure/page-2).

They were recommended to us by our local non-Skoda garage who are friendly with them and who organised for another customer’s timing chain to be fixed out of warranty and at Skoda’s expense. Our local garage doesn’t do the fix themselves as they said the problem can reoccur as it's an inherent problem with this engine and they don't want the hassle of customers coming back to them. Where as you would at least get the work guaranteed by Skoda if you are paying for it at a Skoda dealer.

The difference between the two dealers has been night and day. They are different companies but under the same motor group now. The previous dealer quoted over £600 for the fix and said we may get a discount from Skoda. But they said that we would get a discount for the previous ignition lead failure before coming up with a raft of dodgy excuses and reneging on their promise. This combined with generally lacklustre customer service, no courtesy car and a questionable bill means we couldn’t trust dealing with them again.

As soon as i phoned the new dealer, they checked with their service manager and told me it’s likely Skoda will pick up most of the bill for the timing chain. They also organised a courtesy car and were generally really accommodating and professional. I’ll wait and see what they come back with before shouting about by renewed faith in the brand, but i have a much better vibe from this new dealer.

So i've had my timing chain rattle sorted by the new dealer i visited. There is a TPI available that reccomends changing the oil filter to a new modified part and that has sorted the problem. If the noise reoccurs we may have to look at changing the timing chain but this isn't the first step to try. I'm not sure if the TPI is a different one to the one posted above.

Anyway, it has been done free of charge and i'm glad we tried a different dealer as it looks like the previous one hadn't done their homework and checked for TPIs. It seems there is a wide disparity between the level of service you receive at different dealers and the way those dealers will attain goodwill gestures on your behalf, when your car runs into problems out of warranty. Your success in dealing with Skoda UK on goodwill issues seems to be predetermined by the initial assessment made by the dealer.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm going to be changing the chain kit on precaution (started making the rattle at start up).  Its not that expensive on my country (300£  ->  100£ parts and 200£ labour), but having read the part numbers the skoda  dealership ordered, they do not coincide with the  TPI pdf that was posted in this topic.

The pdf lists:  03F 198 229A

The dealership ordered:  03F 198 158A

On this website however, they seem to be the same part  http://skodaparts.co.nz/fabia2/39-timing-chain-12-tsi-63-kw77kw-oem.html

Also, since I am changing the chain, is there any other part I should change  to make the most out of the labour?   with my stilo abarth it was good practice to use the labour of changing the distribution kit and also change the waterpump as well

Edited by spyshagg

• 1 month later...

I have a similar problem with my 2011 Fabia 1.2 tsi. it's done almost 50k miles but has been fine. Without any warning last Monday it just ground to a halt. Luckily I was coming down a hill and there was a lay-by which I managed to pull into. I got the vehicle recovered to home as they couldn't find out what the problem was and then drove it about 3 miles to the Skoda garage. It wasn't going well at all and the engine management light was on, which had never happened before.

The garage phoned me on Tuesday to say it needed the timing chain replaced and that Skoda would pay for the part and a percentage of the labour and leaving me to pay £270. They assured me there was no damage to the engine. Then I got a call yesterday to say it was still rattling and they had checked the engine and it needed replacing, at a cost to me of nearly £500. They implied this was because I'd been driving it around with the warning light on, which is definitely not the case. Having read the info on here I can say I think I had heard a rattle on start up but the car was going fine and I didn't think much of it.

I've raised a complaint with SUK and I'm waiting for them to call me. So my questions are....should I just be grateful I've only got to pay out £500 for what is in effect the failure of a non-serviceable part and will the new engine stil have the same problem or have they improved it now. Also my drive is sloping, does this play any part in the issue?

I'd say a replacement engine for £500 is a pretty good deal on a car out of warranty.

I would also be asking for my £270 back as that was not the problem and they replaced it at a £270 cost to you.

Urrell, thanks for the reply. That was my thought as well really....But if you don't ask you don't get as it seems reading through the posts that some have not had to pay anything. I'm a bit annoyed at having no car for the duration though as they have no courtesy car available at the dealership. I was hoping the complaint to SUK might get a result on that.

I think that you are getting off lightly considering that you drove it after it broke down and was recovered and with the warning light on!

• Like 1

Your dealer sounds stupid in assuming that there would be no internal engine damage. They should of said we need to fit the new chain and see if it has caused any lasting damage. So get the £270 back and I would snap up the £500 new engine. It will come with new injectors and the revised chain set up. These engine's are around £1300 plus vat to buy plus labour. Your sloping drive should not be an issue if it slopes up or down. The oil pump strainer is on the left hand side as you look at the engine with the bonnet open.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

I have a similar problem with my 2011 Fabia 1.2 tsi. it's done almost 50k miles but has been fine. Without any warning last Monday it just ground to a halt. Luckily I was coming down a hill and there was a lay-by which I managed to pull into. I got the vehicle recovered to home as they couldn't find out what the problem was and then drove it about 3 miles to the Skoda garage. It wasn't going well at all and the engine management light was on, which had never happened before.

The garage phoned me on Tuesday to say it needed the timing chain replaced and that Skoda would pay for the part and a percentage of the labour and leaving me to pay £270. They assured me there was no damage to the engine. Then I got a call yesterday to say it was still rattling and they had checked the engine and it needed replacing, at a cost to me of nearly £500. They implied this was because I'd been driving it around with the warning light on, which is definitely not the case. Having read the info on here I can say I think I had heard a rattle on start up but the car was going fine and I didn't think much of it.

I've raised a complaint with SUK and I'm waiting for them to call me. So my questions are....should I just be grateful I've only got to pay out £500 for what is in effect the failure of a non-serviceable part and will the new engine stil have the same problem or have they improved it now. Also my drive is sloping, does this play any part in the issue?

One good thing about paying part of the bill is you will get a warranty on the work done - ie the engine (Think this may be 2 years) . If fixed for free you don't

Edited by bigjohn
  • Like 2