Tyre types delivered on Citigo

andy0681

Just curious what type of tyres (make and model) people are receiving on their new Citigos. ie Continental, Bridgestone, Michelen etc. Does the brand of tyre vary, or is standardised?

Sometimes when you order extra wheels with the dealer, they give you choice of tyre manufacturer and model, but Im wondering what comes standard from the factory, or if I should ask if there is a choice.

Ive ordered 15 Auriga alloys (185/55) for summer tyres, and 14 steel rims (Greentech 175/65) for winter tyres. But there is no specification on the rubber ;) Interested to hear experiences or if anyone has chosen specific make of tyre.

Edited by andy0681

So already thats 4 different tyre types from 4 different owners... strange considering the cars come out of the same factory?

Ill start a record... would love more input and figure out what rubber people should expect to be delivered, or if there is a choice perhaps?

BRIDGESTONE ECOPIA EP25

Elegance 75: on 14" Alloys (UK) Greentec, Elegance 75

Snuggles:on my Elegance 75

MikeW: on my Greentech elegance 60ps

Cortina GT: on 14" Alloys (UK), Greentec, Elegance 75

CONTINENTAL PREMIUM CONTACT 2

MickA: on 14" Alloys (UK) Greentec, Elegance 75

Freebet: 14"

CONTINENTAL ECO CONTACT

Pete 10: (NL)

Liam2: Citigo Elegance 60bhp 185/55 R15

FALKEN SINCERA SN-831

Pictured on car in CZ, 165/70 R14

FIRESTONE WINTERHAWKS

Crista: Winter Tyres (UK)

Edited by andy0681

Continentals here. 14" Conti premium contact 2

Mick

Greentech versions are stated by Skoda as having low rolling resistance tyres. I don't think the premium contact 2 is classed as a proper Eco tyre as Continental do an Eco range too? Mind you, the premium contact 2 is a damn good all round tyre anyway! :-). (Which? Magazine top scoring 175/65 R14 at 69%.)

They will probably grip better than my Ecopia's!

Mine are Bridgestone Ecopia EP25’s.

Edited by CortinaGT

The tyre type will vary between production runs, and the tyres fitted will be whatever premium tyre Skoda can get a deal on at the time as Skoda are not tied to a single tyre manufacturer.

• Like 1

The tyre type will vary between production runs, and the tyres fitted will be whatever premium tyre Skoda can get a deal on at the time as Skoda are not tied to a single tyre manufacturer.

Fully understood, but if Skoda market the model as having low rolling resistance tyres surely these should be fitted?

(However, I will repeat - MickA's Elegance will very likely handle better on those Conti's anyway! :-))

Edited by CortinaGT

Mick, did you request conti premium contact 2, or just turned up with these?

They were on the car when it arrived, no special request.

Fully understood, but if Skoda market the model as having low rolling resistance tyres surely these should be fitted?

(However, I will repeat - MickA's Elegance will very likely handle better on those Conti's anyway! :-))

Had a look at some reviews on these tyres, some say very good tyre in the dry, awful in the wet, especially when they've done a few thousand miles. And complaints of some wearing out pretty quickly too.

My thoughts, very good grip wet and dry conditions, quiet, very little road noise. That's all I can say so far on a car with only 550 miles on the clock, you expect the tyres to perform well being that new. Only time will tell. It's horses for courses, some makes of tyres suit a particular car better that others really and owners will tell of their experiences with the vehicle/tyres fitted. For instance I had a Vauxhall Signum and couldn't wait to get those Goodyear eagles off it, they were terrible. Like so with my MX-5, brilliant now I've got Rainsport 2's fitted, and the correct size at 15" instead of some really terrible 16" Infinity, and they were fairly new when I first had the car.

Mick

Edited by MickA

MickA

Any thoughts on why you do not have low rolling resistance tyres as stated in Skoda's brochure?

Quote from the Which? review for your tyre size:

"This Continental is a class-leading tyre, offering top dry braking performance.

In our test, the car came to a halt 5.4 metres ahead of the worst-performing tyre, the equivalent of two Smart cars in length. It did very well in the wet, too. On concrete, it stopped a massive 15.5 metres shorter than the worst tyre – more than the length of a double-decker bus."

Edited by CortinaGT

MickA

Any thoughts on why you do not have low rolling resistance tyres as stated in Skoda's brochure?

Quote from the Which? review for your tyre size:

"This Continental is a class-leading tyre, offering top dry braking performance.

In our test, the car came to a halt 5.4 metres ahead of the worst-performing tyre, the equivalent of two Smart cars in length. It did very well in the wet, too. On concrete, it stopped a massive 15.5 metres shorter than the worst tyre – more than the length of a double-decker bus."

Whether they are trusted reviews (users views) or not it's the only one I read.http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Tyre/Continental/Premium-Contact-2.htm They suit me at the moment and feel good to drive on wet or dry, as said time will tell.

As to why they are fitted instead of the eco tyre they mention, haven't got a clue apart from the fact it's most likely what they could get hold of at the time. Better tyre maybe after reading about someone had a problem with one of these eco tyres having suffered a puncture because the tyre walls are thinner. I'm no expert though.

Mick

• Like 1

Mick (and Feebet too)

Just to clarify - according to Which? you have a set of really good tyres with the Continental Premium Contact 2.

The interesting thing I have noticed with Which? tyre lab tests over the years, is that although one tyre design tops the league in a specific size, this does not necessarily mean that is the case in other sizes. For the 175/65 R14 they are the best tested. You will probably have better cornering ability too!

On the separate subject of rolling resistance, apparently the maximum difference in tests between the best and worst is 6%.

Edited by CortinaGT
  • Like 1

Andy0681

Actually my tyres are the Bridgestone Ecopia's EP25's, not the Conti's. My comments above were just saying how good the Continental Premium Contact 2’s were for those that have them!

Edited by CortinaGT

Andy0681

Actually my tyres are the Bridgestone Ecopia's EP25's, not the Conti's. My comments above were just saying how good the Continental Premium Contact 2’s were for those that have them!

My bad! edited above :whew: I hate to say it, but Im really hoping not to get the Ecopia's... Definitely agree with you that Conti Premium Contact 2 would be the pick of the bunch! highly rated!

Edited by andy0681

conti ecocontact as standard here (NL)

Pete10

Which version on Eco Contact did you get?

3, 5 or EP

Citigo Elegance 60bhp 185/55 R15 Continental Contiecocontact 2.

Liam2,

I may be wrong but is there an Eco Contact 2? Is it perhaps Eco Contact 3 or Premium Contact 2? grateful if you could check for me.

Pete10

Which version on Eco Contact did you get?

3, 5 or EP

Liam2,

I may be wrong but is there an Eco Contact 2? Is it perhaps Eco Contact 3 or Premium Contact 2? grateful if you could check for me.

You are right. I got my 'wires' crossed when working from memory. They are actually Continental Premium Contact 2. Thanks for drawing my attention to this. I will edit my previous post accordingly.

Updated 16/10/12

BRIDGESTONE ECOPIA EP25

Elegance 75: on 14" Alloys (UK) Greentec, Elegance 75

Snuggles:on my Elegance 75

MikeW: on my Greentech elegance 60ps

Cortina GT: on 14" Alloys (UK), Greentec, Elegance 75

Skodaman: Elegance 75

Bertie1: 5dr S 60hk, (Continental on spare wheel)

Bertie1's missus: same as above ;)

greenstripe

balltofeet: 60ps SE

Thatnameistaken: Elegance 75ps greentec

BossFox

CONTINENTAL PREMIUMCONTACT 2E (nb! E = ECO)

MickA: on 14" Alloys (UK) Greentec, Elegance 75

Freebet

Pedrioxy

Liam2: Elegance 60bhp 185/55 R15

Pete 10: (NL

tda2806 Elegance Greentech, 175/65 R14

CFB

FALKEN SINCERA SN-831A ECORUN

Common on VW Up! models

Pictured on Citigo in CZ, 165/70 R14

MICHELIN ENERGY SAVER E3A

Black&White: 3dr SE, with 185/55/15 black alloys (special edition demo car?)

WINTER TYRES:

Crista: Firestone Winterhawks (UK)

Bossfox: 14" Goodyear Ultragrip (ordered from mytyres)

sk4gw: 14" Pirelli Snow Controll

CitigoFreak: factory ordered with Conti WinterContact TS800 165/70 R14 T

Edited by andy0681