Columbus firmware upgrade

You are on firmware 2854 at present.

4120 will give you all you can get.

That's what I have on my 3T0...A unit (with earlier HW version).

I've never had to recode anything after a firmware update.

It will wipe your maps and music though as the one I had is a full version.

I've no problem loading up the maps as I've access to an official copy of version 10 of the maps.

I downloaded and burned a cd of

"RNS510 firmware 4120 modified for Europe" ( thanks to the good people at rnsfirmware dot com)

The version I have is "....with 70/25/5 partition ratios, secret menus and VIM enabled" according to the blurb.

When I tried to upgrade my system I got a message saying.."..you can't down grade your soft ware.." This implies to me that my firmware may be to a higher version than indicated on the case.... But in the absence of access to the "secret menu" I've no way of knowing.

Looks like I may need to visit a dealer with a vehicle specific OBDII ( or whatever it's called) to read it for me? Any other ideas?

Incidentally if any members in the Dublin area would like help upgrading their maps to v10 I'd be happy to help...

Regards..

I got the same error when updating.

I think it happends with the modified software versions where the unit thinks it's an older version for some reason.

You need to get into the secret menu to enable downgrade.

Phil

Thanks Phil - one of the reason I want to change my firmware is to have access to the secret menu ( ie the "long" press on the setup button)

How did you manage to overcome your difficulties ?

I just went into the secret menu and there is an option in there to allow firmware downgrade.

It then installed the update with no further issues.

Phil

Thanks Phil

Unfortunately I'm in a catch 22 situation , I can't access the secret menu with my current firmware - after I change the firmware I'll be able to access the secret menu , but until I access the secret menu I can't change the firmware. Joseph Heller would have been pleased with my difficulties!

Can anyone else give guidance on how I might change my firmware - it is looking like a main dealer visit is the best option at this stage - but I'm not inclined to pay main dealer serviced charges!

Can you find someone nearby with VCDS to enable the hidden menu? There is a VCDS owners map on here.

Why do you want the hidden menu? It's largely a 'gimmick' IMO. The part number and the SW version shown in the menu reflect the firmware upgrade and not the physical hardware which, IMO, is more important when choosing which firmware to upgrade to.

Hi KB

I have the part number which I read off the device , which I extracted for the sole purpose of getting this info. I also read off from the sticker, the firmware version.

So I got advice as to the appropriate firmware that I needed based on this data. But my device won't let me upgrade,( it thinks I'm trying to downgrade) Perhaps because the actual firmware in the device is not what is reported on the sticker? In any event one solution for me is to electronically determine what the firmware actually is. Which I could do if I had the secret menu - which I don't. The other solution is , as you suggest is to get to someone ( preferable not a main dealer) with VCDS to tell me what I have ( and if he can also at the same time enable the secret menu then all the better)

I've no great urgency in upgrading the firmware - I'm just an tinkerer by nature and want to see what's possible. I only recently acquired the car ( and very nice it is too!) and my initial project was to get the latest maps - I now have v10 and am happy ( for now!... I'm told V11 is appearing currently ....)

Great site by the way...

Regards

E

The secret menu that enables the software downgrade is a seperate one to the one that just gives you the version info. 

When holding down the setup button the 1st secret menu that possibly gives you the version info appears (It may just say FM and AM though)..... Anyway don't let go of the button at this point but keep it held in for around another 30 seconds which is when the menu that enables you to set firmware downgrade appears..... This second secret menu is the one that needs enabling via VCDS. I can't confirm as my car is currently at the dealers after a breakdown the other day but from memory when i did mine i had neither of the menus. After the VCDS enabling i got the second one appear after holding the setup button for 30 seconds etc.... And i'm sure i had the ability then to select firmware downgrade. I then upgraded the firmware to 4120 wheich is when i then got the extra option in the first secret menu to check the FW version etc...

Cheers

Dave.

Thanks Dave, that's very clear.

I don't currently have any secret menus - so a hook up to VCDS to follow the route described by you might be the best way forward.

Thanks for the help.

Do you have radio text?

If not, you are running a firmware below 4120 as this was the first firmware for an 'A' suffix / 'C' revision to have the feature.

If you are near Hereford / Worcester then I can help with VCDS.

I had a look to see where the 'Software Downgrade' option is on my Columbus and didn't find it (I do have the menus enabled). I'll take another look as I know it was there on orevious firmware versions and can't believe its gone.

Hi KB

I'm not sure what radio text is - so I probably don't have it!

I'm in Dublin , Ireland, so a trip to Hereford is not a realistic option.

I have a standard OBDIi reader - and it's find for basic fault codes but I will link up with someone with access to a VCDS.

As a matter of interest where would one acquire a suitable low cost VCDS ( both hardware and soft ware) that would solve my problems? I'm sure there are cutting edge main dealer ones produced by VAG- but. Are there are likely to be fully functional after market ones too?

Radio text is where the screen shows you info sent by the radio station a bit like a simple form of what you get with DAB. So you might have the song currently playing or a bit more info about the radio station.

If you look at the thread for my Superb in the Superb Project forum in this section and scroll down you can see a picture of what it looks like with radio text enabled. ;)

Cheers

Dave.

A genuine VCDS cable is about £260 new.

Worth the investment as there seem to be a few Briskoda members in Ireland who need access to it. You could earn its worth back in beer!

Hi Guys

Just checked my FW and SW versions, and it is so old its frightening.

HW is H11 

SW is 1304

Part number is 3TO 035 680A

Maps Version is 7333

My car is a 12plate, but it looks like the HU is from an early Superb. WaveyDavey noticed the button says Traffic instead of TMC as on the later versions

Guessing the car had a problem before I bought it, so they installed an old HU :(

Dave has the latest maps and FW but he's not sure if it will take them

Any thoughts please experts

TIA

Damo

My HW shows as H41 on the display (remember it has been firmware upgraded to 4120).

Can't check the original HW until over the weekend.

Anybody near Manchester able to update the software/firmware on my superb estate Columbus unit?

Money/ beer tokens waiting! I have looked at the vcds map but it appears to be quite out of date.

Thanks

Just an update on Damo's Columbus. Looks like he has a revision B and i suspect HW Radio 0004. This would mean an update to 4020 only. I'll double check it for myself before updating it though but from what i've found online it's looking that way.

Must say it does seem like a real bum deal that his 2012 car has a Columbus in it that was manufactured between May 2008 and October 2009!!!!!  :thumbdown:  :thumbdown:  :thumbdown:

Cheers

Dave.

What extra do you have in doing so?

Did not notice different...except...also I have good feeling that the screen unit was quite faster/more touch sensitive before this update...but in oposite way my friend says that he notised different in way of speed of unit operates (he have same unit and sw version like I have).

So two same units and two different behaviour...

My thinking is, do not touch nothing that is working fine even if there is some newest sw available, do update only in emergency situation, nothing else...

Just an update on Damo's Columbus. Looks like he has a revision B and i suspect HW Radio 0004. This would mean an update to 4020 only. I'll double check it for myself before updating it though but from what i've found online it's looking that way.

Must say it does seem like a real bum deal that his 2012 car has a Columbus in it that was manufactured between May 2008 and October 2009!!!!!  :thumbdown:  :thumbdown:  :thumbdown:

Cheers

Dave.

i recommend a 3810A instead of 4020 which is slower and response for touch screen to be more retarded. 

only issue with 3810A is one more bug on a keyboard button under Phone but that's not a killer. 

• Like 1