Columbus firmware upgrade

Hmmmm might go for 3980 for Damo's unit as this would get past the missing button bug..... I think.

Cheers

Dave.

If i'm not wrong, Ver  A and B can only go to 3810A. do note that it's with A behind. 

3980 doesn't not support the older chipset. 

after 3810A, the next final update is 5238. 

This have much faster touchscreen response but being an old unit, i wouldn't do it unless one is desperate.

Do not fog an old horse unnecessary 

So in that case then am i right in thinking the 4020A firmware for older European units is ok. Were you talking about the 4020 FW rather than the 4020A FW when you originally commented before?

Cheers

Dave.

So in that case then am i right in thinking the 4020A firmware for older European units is ok. Were you talking about the 4020 FW rather than the 4020A FW when you originally commented before?

Cheers

Dave.

firmware in the 4 series suck big time in my opinion. 

Firmware 4020 & 4120 are no worse than 3810 IMO.

4120 works fine on 3T0...A units. I have one that I have updated from 27xx to 38xx then 4020 & 4120.

I've stuck with 'full' versions and had no issues whatsoever.

• Like 1

Me too and both 3810 and 4020 for older European units worked/work fine on my 2008 Columbus...

I wouldnt go higher than 4020 on older units though. I have read the radio text function in newer firmwares can damage the radio board. Whether this is true or not, I don't know but I'm not going to risk it for minor further improvements.

• Like 1

I've not seen any benefit documented in going beyond 4xxx firmware unless you have a DAB Columbus unit.

Marginal increases in responsiveness are just that, marginal (and possibly non-existent).

Something I've noticed in the hidden menu is the fact it mentions dab hw version. I'm assuming its just a querk and the unit doesn't actually have dab etc...

Cheers

Dave.

I can say that 3974 is still ok in my vRS and have no issue with this version.

Have no temptation to make a update since last update on this unit did not finish ok and brick the unit...yes...not at all good feeling and situation...cost of 250EUR for new motherboard did not make me happy at all...but this can be happen to annybody...

Oof!!! But it probably needed a memory flash outside the car for a lot less than that... Cost me 50+VAT when something similar happened to me.

Dave: I don't have that in my secret menu on my older unit on 4020.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Guys

Just an update.

I managed to get access to a guy with VCDS.

Successfully enabled the " secret menu" ( the one that's accessed by pressing and holding. "Set up" for 30 sec)

Then selected the option to down grade the firmware and then successfully installed firmware version 4120. All went well and I now have radio text and have noticed other interface improvements.

Thanks for all the help and guidance.

Ps (slightly off topic) while I was using the VCDS I carried out a number of other mods - now have the fog lights rather than the xeons as my coming home lights for example )

Regards

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I listen to alot of music off my SD card 32 GB with about 27 GB of  music on it . The mix function is not all that

great with a lot of repeated tracks. Even creating a specific folder for my favorites, about 200 or so

tracks doesn't improve it. So I guess there is a limit in what it will read in mix mode, my unit has

firmware 3984 will upgrading it to firmware version 4120, improve it or not. If not then I'll leave it as is.

On mine with 4020 it seems to be no better. I get many repeats which are unlikely to be coincidence I would say. I don't think 4120 offers much over 4020 other than the radio text, so probably not worth it if you are just after improved mixing.

I believe I have version 12 maps.

HW version H 61

SW version 5274

Maps version DD 7918

7918 is v9 Western Europe which were released late summer / early autumn 2012..... So quite out of date. Latest maps are v11 which were released in June this year. ;)

Cheers

Dave.

Can confirm that 4120 is not much better on the few occasions I've used it.

Do you have the option to include sub-folders ticked?

Hmm maybe not will check.

If it's 2012 then it's not the MIB Columbus (maps for these are free for three years). This needs to update from SD card anyway.

I think v.11 maps on DVD should work on your 2012 unit.

• Like 1