Columbus firmware upgrade

Correct it is not of much use, but it is there as a back up.

There are not many manufacturers of anything that supply free updated software when it become available.

Correct it is not of much use, but it is there as a back up.

There are not many manufacturers of anything that supply free updated software when it become available.

Ahh. As I said, I've been misinformed. Thanks for your response, Gizmo.

I think I need help - have finally found out how to check which maps I have installed on my Columbus. It says HW version = H55; SW version = 3984 and Map version = 7551.

All the above means nothing to me, BUT, does this mean my maps are v7 and if I buy the v9 CD (available from Sat****.com for £34.95), will my unit accept the maps (I have no idea what all the chat means concerning firmware!)

By the way, car was bought March 2012 (so now just over 7 months old) and is a Superb Elegance Twindoor 2.0 170 4x4 if that's of any importance.

Have just returned from France and the version of maps I have does NOT indicate speed cameras.

Can anyone advise me please?

Thanks.

Edited by mannyo
remove reference to pirate map disk supplier.

All the above means nothing to me, BUT, does this mean my maps are v7 and if I buy the v9 CD (available from Satnavi.com for £34.95), will my unit accept the maps (I have no idea what all the chat means concerning firmware!)

Your maps are at least V7 (possibly even V8) and you will DEFINITELY be able to upgrade to V9. Current V9 designation is 7920.

The disks from Sat****.com are not original, and you'll be paying £34.95 for a DVD-R with hand written details. The giveaway is the word backup disks, and the fact that speed cameras are included. Since they are not part of the original DVD then the disk must be a hacked about copy.

Have just returned from France and the version of maps I have does NOT indicate speed cameras.

Non of the maps have speed cameras by default, but V8 onwards cameras can be added.

I think I need help - have finally found out how to check which maps I have installed on my Columbus. It says HW version = H55; SW version = 3984 and Map version = 7551.

All the above means nothing to me, BUT, does this mean my maps are v7 and if I buy the v9 CD (available from Satnavi.com for £34.95), will my unit accept the maps (I have no idea what all the chat means concerning firmware!)

By the way, car was bought March 2012 (so now just over 7 months old) and is a Superb Elegance Twindoor 2.0 170 4x4 if that's of any importance.

Thanks.

Your maps are v7.2 (that's the value 7555) and your firmware (3984) is the same as mine and I recommend you don't trty to upgrade that at this time. There are reports of later firmware but also of lots of problems installing it and they don't appear to add any function. So, yes you can upgrade the maps to 7918 v9 or 7920 which includes speed cameras.

I'm not sure where the speed camera data comes from but speed cameras change so frequently that the information cannot be relied on and so I don't choose it.

By way of explanation, firmware is supposed to be the medium between hardware and software but in this case can be thought of as the operating system and the software is the application - in this instance the maps.

Yes, if you often go to France don't load the speed camera version of v9. You will now get a significant fine, €1500, for having these. Quite unsure how they would go in to sat nav and check, but it's now illegal.

Cheers

Steve

Thanks for all your responses Ned; Mannyo; Gizmo68; Camberley-Chris; Eddie NL and Stevehg - I'm always so impressed the way members try to help each other on this site - all very helpful if not a tad contradictory..... according to the Sat****.com website, there is no mention of "back-up" discs and it says....

"This disc was released about a week ago and contains the latest map and poi data base including updated speed cams when used with the correct firmware"

So who does one listen to/believe????? Not sure what to do now - is it worth updating so soon after buying the car I wonder? With my mobile Garmin Satnav I only normally update once a year! .....hey ho!

I do know about the new speed camera rules in France (what a load of rubbish that is!....) - including the need to carry onboard breathalysers etc etc - but just how they intend to police them is interesting - the French Police are so lazy they can't be bothered to do anything other than "pose"..... I own a house in France and during the last 7 years I've hardly ever seen the Police other than having "team meetings" by the side of the road at Toll Booths on the Autoroutes!!!!

Anyway - thanks guys.

7920 maps are not genuine, they are modified

V9 has not been released

7920 is also listed as having speed cameras, which don't display on units that have higher firmware

They display on mine. I have 4024 firmware.

Also, my V8 maps still had the M80 in Scotland being shown as the A80. That is now fixed in the new version, so whatever you want to call it, something has changed.

"This disc was released about a week ago and contains the latest map and poi data base including updated speed cams when used with the correct firmware"

This is the thing, none of the official supplied discs contain any speedcam data, the only way to get them there is to hack the disc. The supposed official V9 disc is version 7918 and this does not contain speedcam data. The V7920 disc does contain speedcam data, the increase of 2 in the version number is required for the Columbus to recognise it as a newer disc. The rest is exactly the same, the speedcam data used is from pocketgpsworld and that is also copyright material. There are also discussions on various forums stating that both 7918 and 7920 are both fakes and nothing more than a heavily modified V8 disk, since its possible to combine BMW professional map data onto the RNS-510 disks with some caveats and some heavy file modification.

Members of the forum have in the past contacted sat****.com and they have never denied the discs are copies or stated they were genuine when asked, so one member bought one and got a DVD-R for their trouble. The official disc retails for around £100, so as the saying goes "if somethings too good to be true ...."

All this discussion on rumours, beliefs, hearsay, etc just goes to show that Skoda (VW group) have badly let down their customers by an astounding lack of formal, detailed information. Most modern multi-national corporations would have a comprehensive website for their customers and potential customers - and not just for VW group employees! Every electronic device I own requires frequent code updates and they are easy to implement. They include mobile phones, cameras, Garmin GPS's, TV, satellite TV decoder, and of course computers. To say I am disappointed in this lack of information is putting it lightly.

• Like 2

I called Skoda Customer Services today as dealer is not planning to give me a SatNav DVD as "maps are pre-loaded on Columbus". Skoda CS say that when I take the car in for servicing, dealership will update satnav firmware and maps if updates are available. Not sure I believe that, but will give it a try. Any way I expect new Elegance next week to have V8 maps.

I may be able to get a look at the V8 DVD the dealer has.... :) and potentially V9 when it arrives, officially.

For the francophiles, it's worth noting that, on this new "V9" version, the speed camera warnings aren't visible by default - you have to choose to display them as a POI. When you're driving through France, just disable them. Simples.

Also, can someone please challenge the point made by stevehg and myself: the latest version contains new mapping information from V8, not just some third-party speed camera database. This is a new version, no? If it's not V9, what is it and where has the new mapping come from?

Edited by Ned Brickley

All this discussion on rumours, beliefs, hearsay, etc just goes to show that Skoda (VW group) have badly let down their customers by an astounding lack of formal, detailed information. Most modern multi-national corporations would have a comprehensive website for their customers and potential customers - and not just for VW group employees! Every electronic device I own requires frequent code updates and they are easy to implement. They include mobile phones, cameras, Garmin GPS's, TV, satellite TV decoder, and of course computers. To say I am disappointed in this lack of information is putting it lightly.

Mirrors my viewpoint and feelings exactly - see here (post #7) from last November. My, how we've progressed! :(

Ray

• Like 1