Columbus firmware upgrade

• 3 weeks later...

My Skoda dealer has had an 'official' statement from Skoda UK regarding firmware updates.....

'They have advised there is nothing written down saying that the software can be changed. They have advised for us to have the vehicle for 1-2 days & for us to connect to the vehicle. we will the dial into skoda & they can try to connect to your vehicle & try to carry out an update. There is no guarantee that this will work but is the only option they have come up with.'

Seems like Skoda UK just don't want to get involved in updates as a post sales exercise, I thought it was usually a CD (subject of course to the hardware and existing version being OK) if the local diagnostic system did not have anything locally stored. My understanding from various forums was that Columbus units HW Rev H and FW 3984 did not present any issues going up to 4120?

I will probably give up unless there are 'friendly' or keen dealers who might do this not too far away (Cambridge/Bury St Edmunds area). Any suggestions?

Thanks

I wouldn't hold your breath - I've been monitoring these forums for over two years and can count on the fingers of one hand the number of dealers who have willingly and successfully updated a Columbus.

It's beyond belief that you're expected to keep a car for maybe 10 years or more without updating the maps (let alone firmware). I love my Skoda and the dealers are mostly better than the average but this is their big failing. Maybe the move to MIB units is a step towards a response towards that issue but for older units we are left to our own resources and the various forums are testimony to that. 

I wouldn't hold your breath - I've been monitoring these forums for over two years and can count on the fingers of one hand the number of dealers who have willingly and successfully updated a Columbus.

It's beyond belief that you're expected to keep a car for maybe 10 years or more without updating the maps (let alone firmware). I love my Skoda and the dealers are mostly better than the average but this is their big failing. Maybe the move to MIB units is a step towards a response towards that issue but for older units we are left to our own resources and the various forums are testimony to that.

The MIB units are even less likely to get firmware updates. Due to licensing restrictions and component protection, firmware updates are dealer only as after an update the unit needs recoding and also the component protection deactivating, which can only be done connected to VAS.

You will only get a firmware update if it is to cure a fault, and it has to be approved by Skoda technical, dealers can't just do it because they want to.

Firmwares for the Columbus RNS-510 are readily available, admittedly some of them reformat the HDD so you need a map DVD, and some of them wipe the coding, so you need someone with VCDS to grab the coding before the update and reapply it. I am sure plenty of people on here could help you out, my Columbus was on a 2xxx firmware when I got it, and I sold it with 4120 on it and the latest maps.

Sent from my phone so please excuse brevity and spelling

Thanks for that.

Agreed, the local dealers (mainly independents) do seem 'willing' to help (one reason why I moved from Subaru) but I think that Skoda have left many of then in the lurch (and I guess many owners would not object to a 'fair' charge for upgrades). My local Subaru Dealer did at least help with map and firmware upgrades, but their service and spare prices tended to be eye watering.

I spoke to Skoda several months ago and they tended to agree that they should at least have a 'champion' who was IT literate and interested in firmware/software which is the way things are rapidly moving who could assist dealers. Sadly, he has since left! I wonder what the position is as regards VW upgrading Skoda things - the components are the same!

Next time around for car renewals, I will look very carefully at the 'electronics' side of things and try to get written undertakings for upgrades - or probably change manufacturer. Simple computers/tablets/phones are all upgradable to improve performance of fix issues and car manufacturers should really move into the 21st century.

I still find it incomprehensible that Skoda do not have a 'master' reference showing what can easily be upgraded within version/revision boundaries that are 'non-destructive' (ie, not having to recode or reload maps etc) which would at least solve a reasonable proportion of complaints.

Do Skoda ever look at these forums on Briskoda?

• 5 months later...

My columbus just shows the radio setup menu when the setup button is held. I've seen the option within vcds to enable the hidden columbus menu... Will this enable the menu that gives the actual firmware and map versions etc??? Or is the menu i'm getting the hidden menu??

If not how do you find the firmware and map versions by using vcds rather than extracting the HU from the dashboard.

Cheers

Dave.

Enable it in VCDS then you'll be able to get the hidden menu.

However, if the unit has already been upgraded then the info shown will be a little misleading in places as the part number will be showing as being newer than the manufactured physical part number.

That's why I prefer to go off the part number on the white sticker on the case of the Columbus. It means removing it though.

• Like 2

Ok i had a scan last night with vcds and got the following info.......

Delivery Part Number: 3T0035680 A

Hardware Version: H42

Software Version: 2724

The car was registered November 2010 so i'm assuming mine is running veeeeeeery ooooold firmware etc.....

Is it looking promising to upgrade it and then the maps also???

Cheers

Dave.

Yes. I have same part number and have just gone to 4120 without issue and now have radio text.

It did wipe my maps & music!

You may need to go to 3810 first to create the three partitions, but several members have skipped that and home to 4020 (not 4120). So I can't see it being much different and would try that first.

Any benefits in a newer firmware only really apply if you have DAB (which you don't).

Point the right way!

The old one (a full disc) had the direction of travel nearest you and it turned the 'wrong' way when going round bends.

The new one (a hoop) has it furthest away: Just as it would be if using a real compass.

Does the 4120 firmware still have the same Skoda loading screen when you get in the car?

I've downloaded firmwares from the myGTi links and I've also downloaded from RNSFirmware... Are there any differences between the files from these two sites?

Dug out my old 8 year old Dell laptop which burns at 4x speed so as to burn the firmware CD.

Cheers

Dave.

Still the same start up logo.

Search this forum, there is a way to change it to whatever you like.

The two sources will probably be the same file.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hi guys

Ive just read this thread from top to bottom and cant find an answer that matches my specific question:

data from label on the case of the unit;

3T0 035 680 A

HW 71

SW 2854

date on unit 26 06 2013 

in a 2010 superb

Ive just updated the maps to V10 and all is well.

I cant access the "secret menu" so cant verify that the SW in the machine is the same as on the label.

Question

what is the appropriate firmware upgrade for me?

thank you in anticipation.