SKODA Yeti: officially the UK

ColinD

I escalated the problem to Skoda UK and changed my garage to West End in Edinburgh (from using Arnold Clark in Inverness) - what a transformation in service!

No wonder it was never getting fixed, it was Arnold Clark, never had a good experience with them, regardless of where, can't fault West End though as that's where my car is currently being fixed, they seem to be picking up a lot of the mess that Chathams have left behind...

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

MOT done at West End. Good service again. All issues taken care of.

They even re-programmed the key-opening function so that the car's windows don't all go down when the 'unlock' button on the key is pressed and held down. I'd found the car in the morning a number of times with it unlocked and all windows down! Something must have pressed on the 'unlock' button when the keys were in my pocket during the evening. Amazingly nobody stole anything - must've looked too good to be true!

• 4 weeks later...

So, what defines a "reliable" car, presumably one that does not fail whilst its been driven? I assume that's the definition a lot of people would use but that clouds the issue because it could easily refer to a vehicle that has had numerous faults that did not actually bring it to a halt but at the same time had never actually broken down.

• 2 weeks later...

BROKEN DOWN AGAIN!!!

The engine management came on again today, car into limp home mode. Engine thuddering at low revs. Then the ABS/ESP light and the ECP light came on.

This really is the worse car I've ever driven in terms of reliability. Utter rubbish.

• Like 1

BROKEN DOWN AGAIN!!!

The engine management came on again today, car into limp home mode. Engine thuddering at low revs. Then the ABS/ESP light and the ECP light came on.

This really is the worse car I've ever driven in terms of reliability. Utter rubbish.''

This car sounds like a nightmare. My missus has said that if she ever wins the lotto (not 'when we win'!) she'd buy a Yeti (we're not rich), she has said that more than once, and for want of something more constructive to say, I always answer with a simple 'Hmmm...' I can't help picturing E-type jags and Aston Martins...

Edited by yorkshirecoble

Back from garage. Plug lead 3 was changed, which would make sense as it felt like the engine was misfiring. Truly hope this is the end of my Yetis troubles....

I think you've got a rotten one there mate. Not typical but does happen. I've had 5 Skoda's, 4 have been great but the Laurin & Clement TDi I bought from ebay had been badly maintained & was a constant source of issues for me. My work cars have a very hard life as I do on site calls so I'm constantly driving from job to job. The tailgate & seats/doors electrical devices get a bashing where I'm doing many small trips & going back to the car to get tools and spares out. Apart from the L&K they've all been far stronger & more reliable than the other vehicles I've used over the nearly 30 years i've been doing this job. My modified vRs has done on nigh on 150,000 miles, which is a fair bit for a performance petrol. It sits around for weeks at a time then gets driven very heavily till my stress levels are replaced by a big grin! I give it the minimum amount of maintence & it rewards me with stunning reliability, performance & if I behave...fuel economy!

Hope your issues are all sorted, if not, I'd make it someone else's problem!

Back from garage. Plug lead 3 was changed, which would make sense as it felt like the engine was misfiring. Truly hope this is the end of my Yetis troubles....

Hope so mate!

I've noticed some of your tales of woe & can only sympathise - I didn't notice what year your car was though.

The reason I mention the year is that I'd seen some posts (or, at least, I think I did) that referred to lead 3 breaking down through overheating. IIRC a mod was applied to later models to provide better shielding. Do you know if your car has this mod?

Edit: This is the thread I was thinking of: http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/266649-car-judders-and-epc-light-comes-on/page__hl__+lead#entry3154439

Edited by Skoda Al Coda

Cheers Carl. Yes, that was the exact same issue. Why oh why are Skoda not fitting that conduit lead protection on every 2010 TSi. It must only cost about 20p!

They should really have fitted that conduit to leads 1,2 and 4 when they replaced lead 3. I'm going to ask them to do just that.

Do you happen to know of any other 1.2TSi engine problems that are coming my way? :S

Edited by Abominable

Why oh why are Skoda not fitting that conduit lead protection on every 2010 TSi. It must only cost about 20p!

They should really have fitted that conduit to leads 1,2 and 4 when they replaced lead 3.

I dunno. Is it SUK (they may have issued a bulletin to dealers) or is it just your dealer not measuring up?

Do you happen to know of any other 1.2TSi engine problems that are coming my way? :S

Sorry, I'm awaiting a new 1.2 TSI so I'm trying to focus on good news - I stumbled on your issues when I took my eye off the ball :rofl:

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Or they outsourced your car to british leyland on a friday afternoon.

Surprised you haven't found a newspaper or a can of coke in the door yet.

I can understand your utter upset with it and the original dealers made it much worse.

The only thing you've suffered "mechanical" that i'm aware of as common is the HT lead failure (number 3).

The badge is also common but more annoying than reliability.

The rest sounds like someone is out to get you :(

Aye, it's turning into a farce.

I contacted a number of Scottish dealers this week asking what my next service (3rd Variable) would cost and asking to stipulate what was involved. More than half did not respond.

I got quotes back from £121 to £311! Whatever happened to the "Skoda Price Promise" that most of these dealers have signed up to!

As for stipulating what work they were intending to conduct - it was like getting blood from a stone. What's the big secret?

One dealer quoted for changing the fuel filter, another said it was at customer discretion (!) and another said my car doesn't have one.

Now, really, what confidence does that give me that my already unreliable car is in safe hands at the authorised dealerships?

None.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Warranty claims 11 & 12:

Front wheel bearing (this time nearside front, previous one was offside front - I've exclusively driven the car so I know the car has never walloped a pothole / speed bump whatever). The other failure was a front brake pad indicator cable.

At least the service at Arnold Clark Inverness has improved since the new service manager started.

I sincerely hope this is the end of all my Yeti problems now.... :-(

• 2 weeks later...

It's not entirely that the car is unreliable, although mine has been extremely unreliable, it is mainly dealer incompetence. Mine was in for a wheel bearing warranty (the second one, they didn't fix the problem with the first one) and when the car came back I noticed a second entry on the job sheet. When I enquired I was told the brake pad sensor cable was damaged and had been replaced...when I had a look later I found this....

1icqs8.jpg

2hq5ukz.jpg

As you can see, the cable hasn't been replaced at all, it has been removed and shorted out!!! So a saftey feature of the car has been removed without my consultation or advise.

This is why Skoda do not deserve any accolades with respect to reliability or service.

And if you still don't agree, then you ought to read this post.

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/152102-engine-problems-yeti-12-tsi/page-2#entry3355956

I'm furious with Skoda, my poor car has been wrecked by them.

Arnold Clark, Inverness.

My lawyer will be taking care of it on my behalf if Skoda or the Dealer do not offer sufficient recompense and / or remedial action.

I've had enough of all this now, the whole ownership experience has been exhausting.

Hmm, Mr Clark and his crew have a dire reputation across all brands. I'd never go near them personally. Hope you get it sorted soon

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

• 2 weeks later...

Arnold Clark, Inverness. My lawyer will be taking care of it on my behalf if Skoda or the Dealer do not offer sufficient recompense and / or remedial action. I've had enough of all this now, the whole ownership experience has been exhausting.

I have just read through the thread of your posts , I am not surprised you are exhausted  it sounded like a very stressful experience.

I have recently purchased a new 1.2 TSI DSG Yeti , the decision to purchase the Yeti was based to a large account on the positive posts I read on this site from other Yeti owners. In the few weeks of Yeti ownership I could not be more pleased  it meets and exceeds my expectations  in every aspect. From the posts I have read on this site and from other sources it sounds like you have been unlucky with A the quality build of your car and B the service you have received from the dealer. You would think that when cases like this do occur Skoda UK would ensure that they are resolved very quickly, car and dealer short comings. 

?I hope you get your issues resolved in the very near future , 

Hi WiganYeti

Glad you chose a Yeti, honestly! When mine has been working it's been a great car - just been let done by getting a Friday afternoon one and some dreadful dealer service.

The 1.2TSi is a little peach - quiet, frugual and sprightly when you need it to be. Enjoy!

Thanks for the words of wishes. It's over to Skoda UK to pull something out of the bag now.

As you can see, the cable hasn't been replaced at all, it has been removed and shorted out!!! So a saftey feature of the car has been removed without my consultation or advise.

This is why Skoda do not deserve any accolades with respect to reliability or service.

That is, quite simply, unbelievable.  How on earth any dealer can operate like this is beyond me.  Skoda UK need to realise just how bad this particular dealership is and hand the mantle to someone who can actually repair cars.  If this requires escalating to trading standards then so be it.

And the least Skoda UK can do for you is to provide you with a new Yeti.

Michael

• Like 1