Octavia 2 VRs Tdi - what tyres are best ?

Led VRS

Getting close to the TWIs and need to know what I should be putting on the corners to keep me out of the bushes and stay on the road ?

Looking at standard 225/40R18s.

I've been used to Bridgstone Turanza's ER300s on my previous car which had good grip in the wet & dry along with a low wear rate.

Over to you for suggestions....

The Bridgestones where in my old car (Vx Vectra), the VRs has Continentals which are quite noisy and grip has fallen away dramatically once below 3.5mm.

I like the tread pattern of the Falken 452s and Avon ZZ3's always found its best to ask others.

I've changed to goodyear eagle F1's asymmetric and found them quieter and much grippier in the wet than the conti sport contacts that came with the car. No difference in tyre wear though. I've got goodyear ultragrip 8 on steels for the winter.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The Ultrac Sesanta is discontinued.

Contis use a hard substrate to about 3mm depth, because 3mm is the German tread depth limit.

Ultrac Sessantas discontinued; are you sure?

Still listed on Vredestein's website and available to buy here;-

http://www.tyremen.co.uk/product/1459/22540r18-%2892y%29-ultrac-sessanta-xl.aspx

http://www.elitedirect.com/2254018-vredestein-sessanta.html

Used to excellent effect on my vRS TDI and currently on my Yeti; they get my vote for combination of price, performance (dry & wet) and longevity. :thumbup:

Ultrac Sessantas discontinued; are you sure?

Still listed on Vredestein's website and available to buy here;-

http://www.tyremen.c...essanta-xl.aspx

http://www.elitedire...n-sessanta.html

Used to excellent effect on my vRS TDI and currently on my Yeti; they get my vote for combination of price, performance (dry & wet) and longevity. :thumbup:

Well, that's what I was told by a Vredstein dealer when I was looking to buy 4 off them.

Well, that's what I was told by a Vredstein dealer when I was looking to buy 4 off them.

Well it may be a case that they are 'on the way out', being replaced by the Ultrac Vorti, and your dealer was not able to get any more.

Well it may be a case that they are 'on the way out', being replaced by the Ultrac Vorti, and your dealer was not able to get any more.

This was 2 years ago, and the Vorti wasn't actually available either in my size.

{edit} Just read http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/235758-new-vredestein-vortis/ and about the same time as the noise regs discussion in there.

Edited by KenONeill

• 3 years later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Goodyear eagle f1 asymmetric 2 or 3 for me

Michelin pilot sport 3 would probably be longer lasting but the eagles have lasted well on our car

Personally safety is more important than price.

If price then other members have used barum bravis 3 often on bogof at national tyres

Any help with which tyres to buy would be great?

not too expensive but with good wear and grip?

Pick any two; there is no tyre with all 3!

Personally I spend what gives me the best value for money i.e. a compromise of all three. 

I fit Goodyear F1A2 to my Superb and will do the same or the A3 version when they need doing in a few thousand miles. Outlasted all previous tyres by 2000 miles I've had. Significantly better below 4mm than the Michelin PS3s I had before; which were incredible till 4mm and then went off the boil....

Are you 225/45/17 or 225/40/18?

• 3 months later...

Sorry - Running 18's

Anyone used Bridgestone Potenza S001's (225/40 R18 (92)Y XL  ?

Costco's have then at £83.98 fitted.

Compared to Michelin Pilot Sport 4 at £104.98 fitted

Edited by Led VRS

Sorry - Running 18's

Anyone used Bridgestone Potenza S001's (225/40 R18 (92)Y XL  ?

Costco's have then at £83.98 fitted.

Compared to Michelin Pilot Sport 4 at £104.98 fitted

I did on a Superb that I was driving for the last couple of months. 

They were noisy, economy seems low, expensive and wet weather performance was mehhh.

Better choices for less money

Have run Continental Sport 2's and 5's in the past on mine. Was happy enough with them, until I tried Goodyear eagle F1 assymetric, which have been outstanding all round. Have done nearly 16k on the fronts so far, and nearing the wear markers.

Have run Continental Sport 2's and 5's in the past on mine. Was happy enough with them, until I tried Goodyear eagle F1 assymetric, which have been outstanding all round. Have done nearly 16k on the fronts so far, and nearing the wear markers.

Also worth looking at the Michelin Pilot Super Sport (which are slowly being replaced by the Pilot Sport 4).

On my previous car (Audi RS4) I tried Pirelli PZero Rosso (awful, poor dry grip, zero wet grip, short life), Goodyear F1 Asymmetric (good grip wet & dry, lowest road noise, good life, excellent wheel protection) and Michelin Pilot Sport 2 ( great grip wet & dry, best life) and Michelin Pilot Super Sport (best grip wet & dry, good life, best "feel").

Try these: Conti sport contacs.or Vredistien Ultrac Sesantas. Good, durable, nice quality. Not the cheapest ones though.

The Sessantas will be cheaper than the Michelins or Goodyears but in my experience the very long life comes with a negative, the sidewalls are quite soft and take a while to load up when cornering. This makes them feel initially "spongy" before settling into a corner., which can be quite unsettling until you get used to.

Due to budget issues I had the Sessantas between the F1s and the PS2s, and was very glad to get back to the PS2s when finances allowed.

Edited by PetrolDave