Beti the K04 Yeti.

Yeti_Man

You could always regulate the flow through the cooler with a thermostat. 

Cooler oil cannot harm (unless it stays under 60°C  :D  )

Yep, most decent kits for the VW stuff have a 80c bypass built into the sandwich plate - that's a component im sure on - its just the cooler sitting at the other end that's undecided.  For a couple of hundred quid it just has to be worth doing - its just whether or not I spend an additional £80 and fit the bigger rad. :) Its probably overkill tbh but goes against my genetic desire to go with, technically, the superior solution. (and yes, I did say genetic)   :D

• Like 1

Do we have the same genes?  :sun:

If I have to replace something, I always look for an upgrade. 

If I have to upgrade, I always look for the best (not the most expensive, but the best in terms of price/quality).

I would go for the bigger cooler (and probably cover it in winter). 

The sandwich plates are available with and without thermostat. When I installed my oil cooler I ordered the one with thermostat.

That way the engine gets warmer soon and if over a certain temperature (dont remember at which point the plate opened) the cooler will do its job.

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

A small update then...

Some jobs successfully accomplished, some still to do. I hadn't figured on how long the test drives would take out of my actual garage time so the only job that got done was playing with the anti roll bars although I also managed to get the brake fluid changed and wheels swapped over. :)

So, lots of different settings and bar combinations tried on the Anti Roll bar side of things. Ended up with keeping the OE Golf R bar at the front and the uprated H&R adjustable bar (set on its softest of two settings) at the rear. Main reason being I'm considering another decently long Euro trip in the car (after giving it a year off!) and I wanted the balance to swing back towards comfort over outright handling performance. Once I had worked this out I grabbed some new Poly bushes and tie rods. The originals weren't particularly showing signs of wear to be honest but while I was doing the job I thought I may as well do it properly with new parts so a revisit wasn't needed in the future. 

IMG_17722_zpsf4422f8a.jpg

IMG_1773_zps279a764b.jpg

IMG_1776_zpsd56a4a77.jpg

IMG_1779_zpsed8bc07b.jpg

In the end, the Eibach lowering springs didn't get a look in. I'm actually undecided whether to put them on now, wait for some Bilstein's to pair them with or leave it as it is and sell them on.

I did have time to take a look at some oil coolers, more on that later but Ive decided a Setrab one is the way to go and have sized it up accordingly. Getting it to the ideal location is going to be a bit of a faff so more work will be needed to measure and make the required brackets.  

The one last thing I did do was to give the winter wheels a good going over as, quite simply, they'd been neglected and the amount of dust that comes from the front brake pads really dictates that its a job that's best kept on top of!

IMG_1796_zps91c00147.jpg

IMG_1793_zpsde8310ae.jpg

After the application of lots of decent Meguiars and Poorboys products (including three layers of Sealant at the end) and plenty of elbow grease they looked a damn sight better...

IMG_1799_zpsf9e350d6.jpg

IMG_1797_zps2367d000.jpg

IMG_1803_zpsf9011dd2.jpg

Next weekend Beti will be getting a proper detail including wax/sealant removal, claying, polishing, sealant and wax. :)

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

So last week, I had a spending accident! http://www.briskoda.net/forums/public/style_emoticons/#EMO_DIR#/emoticon-0142-happy.gif

Just arrived today and now wearing two coats of Poorboys wheel sealant...

IMG_0024_zpsaa4e80a6.jpg

IMG_0028_zps807c0096.jpg

IMG_0031_zps2189b2e5.jpg

ET45, 17", made by Ronal, really impressed by the quality and weight.

What are those Ronal alloys?

I've been searching but can't find a model name or number. Hence why I'm a bit behind in this thread.

Can you enlighten me please?

• Like 1

I was under the impression from the thread that they were not genuine Skoda alloys but a Ronal made 'copy' and that although Ronal may make alloys for Skoda, these were branded as Ronals.

Maybe I'm mistaken...

Hi guys, apologies for late clarification. (Currently away on summer hols). They are Annapurnas as stated - the gloss black/diamond cut silver version available from dealers but are made by Ronal (which I wasn't expecting) :)

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Nothing really to report just driving and enjoying her currently but thought Id drop in a few of the end of July detail shots along with some seven week later beading shots. She's now very nicely protected for the winter. :)

10410636_753117194748605_581506681202259

15656_753117168081941_153230108189836145

My little apprentice (who fully understands the reason of using two buckets and the different layers of paint protection!)

10606537_777250112335313_543175833517597

The six monthly leather/plastic clean and treat session...

47258_753117211415270_103202236140849457

And the current 'beadability' of the protection...

10417821_768624543197870_768144711819209

10645313_768624479864543_494342488509579

10600373_768624633197861_508130931626309

12275_768624603197864_174062068943642879

Not sure I'll find a wax that gives noticeably greater protection than Collinite - for the money its a bargain imo. :)

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Did you fit the Eibach springs in the end Lee? And how did you get on with the oil cooler?

No on both counts - decided against the oil cooler due to it not being a track toy in the end and possibly not the best decision for a road car.

Great build!

What's the ET of the first 17's you used?

All OE Yeti alloys are an ET45 offset :)

No on both counts - decided against the oil cooler due to it not being a track toy in the end and possibly not the best decision for a road car.

Ive gone and ordered some now, would have bought yours off you if I'd known :(

Ive gone and ordered some now, would have bought yours off you if I'd known :(

I already have a buyer lined up for them to be honest, I just been to get in the shed and somehow make it past the summer garden furniture to retrieve the box!
  • Like 1

All OE Yeti alloys are an ET45 offset :)

Can you tell me what the distance is between your Porsche calipers and the inside of a spoke of the wheel?

I'm interested in some ET56 17's for my Octy VRS but unsure whether the calipers would foul the spokes of the alloys.

Can you tell me what the distance is between your Porsche calipers and the inside of a spoke of the wheel?

I'm interested in some ET56 17's for my Octy VRS but unsure whether the calipers would foul the spokes of the alloys.

have a read of this thread - its all here :)

• 2 months later...

Right, finally an update on the chosen suspension setup.

After trying out many different configurations including combinations of the following components:

ARB's - standard v's adjustable H&R bars on different settings v's standard front and H&R rear bar on softest setting

Dampers - Standard v's Koni FSD's v's Bilstein B6

Springs - Standard v's Eibach lowering springs

Bumpstops - Standard v's standard ones cut down v's Passat Sport ones

Top mounts - Standard v's A3 cabriolet/TT ones (stiffer than standard) v's stiffer 034 MotorSport with upgraded SKG bearings

Its taken around six months of trying the above components in various mixes.... to cut a long story short I believe I've found the best setup for me and the driving I do - namely, long mile munching European journey's, occasional 20 mile commutes and fast road use.

So the final setup looks like this:

ARB's - standard

Dampers - Bilstein B6's

Springs - Eibach lowering

Bumpstops - Passat Sport ones

Top Mounts - 034 MotorSport ones with upgraded SKG bearings

Very quick conclusions from the last six - eight months of fiddling and some of the above...

ARB's were best kept standard (surprisingly), once the car was dropped in ride height.

The B6's are a far better unit than the Koni FSD's

Its clear the Eibach's and B6's were designed around each other - damping quality and feel/feedback is very nice.

I started researching the Bumpstops when I found contact had occurred with the FSD/Eibach combination. Hence the search for OE ones that were shorter and had a slightly firmer compound.

Id have been happy with either the TT or 034 MotorSport top mounts. The TT ones felt very slightly stiffer. The 034 ones feel stiffer still, very nice but allow just the smallest amount of additional road noise through imo.

A few photos:

IMG_8712_zpsgbvvplcl.jpg

Some of the final components:

IMG_8663_zps8pthhudj.jpg

034 MotorSport mounts

IMG_8666_zpsc4vn9nxb.jpg

Standard v's Passat Sport bumpstops:

IMG_8681_zpssistznqo.jpg

Passat Sport bump stops in place:

IMG_8682_zpsxlrdhuft.jpg

Eibach and Bilstein working in perfect harmony:

IMG_8689_zpsztgyimvi.jpg

OE top mount:

IMG_8716_zpslr3yp0lr.jpg

Top mount and bearing set ready for assembly:

IMG_8721_zpssdlbwhuu.jpg

Front unit built up:

IMG_8718_zpsxkxkrmfp.jpg

IMG_8728_zps0eqxevr5.jpg

Comparison. 034 Top Mount very slightly taller:

IMG_8715_zpsfhysrrby.jpg

• Like 4

Great write up, many thanks.

Having eibachs on Kevin already I'm sorely tempted to go with B6s and the Passat bump stops as well. Do you have the relevant part numbers?

Guy

I'll look them up and post here later today.

Great write up, many thanks.

Having eibachs on Kevin already I'm sorely tempted to go with B6s and the Passat bump stops as well. Do you have the relevant part numbers?

Guy

Right Guy, part numbers are as follows:

VAG OE shortened bump stops: 3C0511359B

Rear strut mounts: 3C0513353DS1

Uprated bearing set for top strut mount: VKD 35025 T (BY SKF)

B6 Dampers: 35-158714 / 24-172936

• Like 1