The Superb Outdoor

ColinD

• Administrators

ŠKODA has boosted the appeal of the award-winning Superb Estate with a new variant designed to offer outstanding grip in the most demanding winter conditions.

With unpredictable weather on the way, the ŠKODA Superb Outdoor is the perfect car for the colder months. It combines the assertive look of an off-road vehicle with the refinement and sheer practicality of the hugely popular Superb Estate.

Its presence on the road is enhanced by durable protective strips at the base of the doors, bumpers and round the wheel arches. Riding on 18-inch Luxon alloys as standard, at the heart of its capability is a permanent all-wheel drive transmission, ensuring exceptional levels of traction in ice, snow or rain. Fuel economy is as high as 44.8mpg while CO2 emissions are as low as 165g/km.

Over and above standard SE trim, on which Outdoor is based, there is a raft of additional equipment. This includes a four-spoke leather multi-function steering wheel, Bluetooth for hands-free connectivity, Sunset Glass behind the B-pillar, Hill-Hold Control, Tyre Pressure Monitor, heated windscreen washer nozzles and integrated front headlight washers.

The ŠKODA Superb Outdoor is available in all standard Superb colours and with the option of three engines. With prices starting at just £26,465, The Superb Outdoor is another example of ŠKODA’s great value for money.

post-6-0-92085300-1350988375_thumb.png

post-6-0-16278500-1350988379_thumb.png

post-6-0-98850000-1350988381_thumb.png

Can't say that I am taken to it TBH (not keep on the plastic trim used by all the soft road manufacturers if I am honest)

It's also interesting that they claim "With unpredictable weather on the way, the ŠKODA Superb Outdoor is the perfect car for the colder months."

When will this be available if you ordered it today? 6 months time like the rest of the Superb range?? :think:

• Administrators

Marketing speak... The extra plastic bits really help winter performance.

As I own a 4x4 I can say it's a lot of fun in the winter. Downsides though are 18" wheels, ( I have a set of winter tyres for sale :) ) and the current generation I find the windscreen nozzles freeze up very quickly and the headlamp washers freeze open too. So there is genuinely one feature on this model I'd want, heated jets. It's the only reason I had to stop on my commutes over the peak district. But I can't afford one now anyway :(

You would think ground clearance would be more important that plastic panels.

So the Yeti is the only model that doesn't have a "scout" type trim now then, other than the Citigo.

So the Yeti is the only model that doesn't have a "scout" type trim now then, other than the Citigo.

Don't be silly B/F, ground clearance isn't in the dictionary of those that park on the double yellows outside the hairdressers, "must do lunch some time", move on to the zigzags outside school while picking up little Emily and George, then off to the disabled bays at Waitrose for a quick shop.

......and breathe..........

• Like 1

ŠKODA has boosted the appeal of the award-winning Superb Estate with a new variant designed to offer outstanding grip in the most demanding winter conditions.

With unpredictable weather on the way, the ŠKODA Superb Outdoor is the perfect car for the colder months. It combines the assertive look of an off-road vehicle with the refinement and sheer practicality of the hugely popular Superb Estate.

Its presence on the road is enhanced by durable protective strips at the base of the doors, bumpers and round the wheel arches. Riding on 18-inch Luxon alloys as standard, at the heart of its capability is a permanent all-wheel drive transmission, ensuring exceptional levels of traction in ice, snow or rain. Fuel economy is as high as 44.8mpg while CO2 emissions are as low as 165g/km.

Over and above standard SE trim, on which Outdoor is based, there is a raft of additional equipment. This includes a four-spoke leather multi-function steering wheel, Bluetooth for hands-free connectivity, Sunset Glass behind the B-pillar, Hill-Hold Control, Tyre Pressure Monitor, heated windscreen washer nozzles and integrated front headlight washers.

The ŠKODA Superb Outdoor is available in all standard Superb colours and with the option of three engines. With prices starting at just £26,465, The Superb Outdoor is another example of ŠKODA’s great value for money.

MPG = too low

PRICE = too high

EMMISIONS = too high

GROUND CLEARANCE = too low

Conclusion. "Outdated" would have been a more appropriate name. I love it though but the basic figures are just last generation. Maybe for £23000 but starting at £26500 forget it. Remember starting at means the boggo version is £26500 meaning the real worls base version will be £30,000. No thanks.

Ground clearence isn't too important as long as it has a bit of under body protection for the building sites and what not.

Ground clearence isn't too important as long as it has a bit of under body protection for the building sites and what not.

It is in the sort of snow we've had up here the last couple of years - in fact even with the raised clearance of our 4x4 the lack of it was the only thing that stopped me going to work one day last year... would've been worse with less (if you know what I mean).

It is in the sort of snow we've had up here the last couple of years - in fact even with the raised clearance of our 4x4 the lack of it was the only thing that stopped me going to work one day last year... would've been worse with less (if you know what I mean).

Agreed, I totally beached my octy in the snow the year before last

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Yeah but seriously how often to we get that amount of snow? and maybe only for one day then its gone.

Only problem I have had with snow in my Scout was on summer tyres on a steep hill in six inches of snow with all four wheels spinning. Winter tyres soon sorted that, and I live in Holmfirth and travel over the A635 to Manchester every day.

domhnall_dods_2010-12-06_3298.jpg

erm it lasted around 4 or 5 weeks

:think:

2 and 3 years ago were superb winters. I love snow. Last year we had nothing though. Generally 4x4 is sufficient but he extra ground clearance would be nice. I just think having all the body protection on the superb "outdoor" but without the raised ride height is just half arsed. Would be better if it was a superb version of the scout.

That was a 2 wd octy, apart from the one beaching it coped fine, including rescuing a 4wd stuck in snow

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

In my experience having winter tyres makes more of a difference in snow than having four wheel drive.

• Like 2

In my experience having winter tyres makes more of a difference in snow than having four wheel drive.

Not in mine. Winter tyres are very good but i know what my old A4 quattro was capable off on crap wanli tyres and it was astounding. Probably couldnt stop or corner very well but it dragged itself up probably the steepest road in Scotland in snow over a foot deep. I was the only car who made it untill the plogh had passed. Same with my old S3 on F1's. Was unstoppable and managed to get home to ABerdeen along the coastal road after passing police signs saying it was shut. The alternative was 8 hour tailbacks on the duel carrigeway. I made it. Probably the best drive of my life. Here again the snow was very deep but keeping the momentum going and some severe steering wheel twirling did the job. Definately the most satisfying journey i have ever had. Later that night i got a phone call from my collegues who took the duel carrigeway. They were not happy bunnies.

But that is the whole point of winter tyres Jock, anyone with half a brain and a handful of skill can keep the traction going in snow, it's stopping and cornering where the tyres come into their own.

Before.i used winter tyres I could easily get up a steep snow covered hill near me in my FWD MKI Superb by simply looking ahead and keeping the momentum going, this same hill saw all the muppets in their 4x4's parked up, even cars like Micra's on their skinny tyres.were parked up, why? simply because they hadn't got a clue on how to drive in snow!!

Now I have winter tyres (still 2WD) I can stop on the same hill and get started again, or even accelerate

up it at whatever speed I choose.

• Like 1

Not in mine. Winter tyres are very good but i know what my old A4 quattro was capable off on crap wanli tyres and it was astounding. Probably couldnt stop or corner very well but it dragged itself up probably the steepest road in Scotland in snow over a foot deep.

You just neatly expressed the main reason for winter tyres. Stopping & cornering.

Like you i had to avoid tailbacks, the night hundreds of people got stuck overnight on the m8. Took the octy over the unploughed back roads with a foot of snow. Just drove normally, no real effort needed. No 4wd either just nokian tyres.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

But surely anyone needing a 4x4 for real snow will also fit appropriate tyres and have real traction. Then of course ground clearance is also important.

I have winter tyre on SWIMB's CRV and its pretty amazing both in snow and off road.

Edited by slider

But surely anyone needing a 4x4 for real snow will also fit appropriate tyres and have real traction. Then off course ground clearance is also important.

I have winter tyre on SWIMB's CRV and its pretty amazing both in snow and off road.

Yes, of course they will, I haven't managed to get mine stuck once and ive done some seriously fun snow stuff in the car.

Most 4x4 drivers however don't have the knowledge how to drive in extreme weather and most simply think because they have 4wd (despite being on wide 20" alloys and rubber band sports rubber!) they will be fine!

Most 4x4 drivers however don't have the knowledge how to drive in extreme weather and most simply think because they have 4wd (despite being on wide 20" alloys and rubber band sports rubber!) they will be fine!

totally agree with this.

Edited by slider