The Superb Outdoor

ColinD

But that is the whole point of winter tyres Jock, anyone with half a brain and a handful of skill can keep the traction going in snow, it's stopping and cornering where the tyres come into their own.

Before.i used winter tyres I could easily get up a steep snow covered hill near me in my FWD MKI Superb by simply looking ahead and keeping the momentum going, this same hill saw all the muppets in their 4x4's parked up, even cars like Micra's on their skinny tyres.were parked up, why? simply because they hadn't got a clue on how to drive in snow!!

Now I have winter tyres (still 2WD) I can stop on the same hill and get started again, or even accelerate

up it at whatever speed I choose.

I know winter tyres are far better for stopping and cornering but the problems i encounter in winter all relate to getting moving in the first place or maintaining traction on a hill. Its not complicated to compensate for cornring and stopping on snow and ice when using summer tyres, although many idiots cant for some reason. Your probably right though a 2wd car on winters would probably be at least as good as 4x4 car on summers or as yoyu say probably even better. I personally would rather rely on 4x4 though as i do a lot of offroading so am used to drving in a style that suits 4x4. I doubt a situation could arise in this country that i couldnt tackle in a 4x4 car on summer tyres but i agree winters would be safer and just as capbale even on 2wd. Not as fun though. :) I actually guided my 330d touring up the alps on budget tyres at the legal tread limit. Local police stopped all driver and asked if they had "special eqiupment" i just nodded and headed up the hill. Traffic tends to be one way when arriving at a ski resort in the evening as its all arrivals as the departures generally happen in the morning. I had to overtake multiple snow chained cars to ensure i had enough momentum. After several horn toots by other drivers later i reached the top unequiped. I was loving it. Missus was not so impressed however and i then preceeded to get the car stuck half way into a parking space outside the apartment. Had to buy snow chains from local garage just to move my car 4 feet so it wasnt sticking out and then to ensure i got out again. Conclusion = i had more fun getting up the hill. Missus didnt. But buy "special eqipment" elsewhere as local garages in ski resorts are bloody expensive.

Oh and please no holier than though protagonists as i didnt have a wee girl in those days. I wouldnt do this nowadays. Winters, snow socks etc all the way.