Light bulb warning light!

Well at least that's what I think it is a orange light in the shape of a bulb with a exclamation Mark in the middle.

Went into the dealers today for the breather pipe fix and asked them to take a look told them it comes on when drl and headlights are on. Low and behold they couldn't replicate the fault ran a diagnostic and no codes no light so nothing they could do.

Set off out of the dealers just coming out of the car park and light came on typical (obviously they just switched the engine on saw no light and obviously no fault codes). Now I'm not going straight back as it needs to go back in after 600miles but does anyone have any ideas what it could be? Last year I changed the headlight bulbs and replaced the number plate lights to LEDs (error free) and I've had no issues until the last service.

Mine does this now especially if its damp or raining. I have fault free led number plate bulbs which have been fine but i guess they must have developed a fault.

Keep meaning to put back to standard to check if the warning light stays on

Hi kermit82

was it raining when you left the dealers - did you have the windscreen wipers on?

Hi dirty hari

I thought I had same problem as you with the bulb failure warning light coming on when it was damp or raining

but turns out it has nothing to do with damp - the connection as another member pointed out some time ago with mine its the windscreen wipers being on & pressing the foot brake at the same time

Hi 2tite no I don't think it was no. My mates got a fault reader via obd2 so gonna use that and see what it comes out with. It comes on when I put my DRLs and/or headlights on when I've set off. Was thinking it started after last service plus my snowflake for the temp or low petrol warning light used to have a "bing" but that's gone now so have they done a software update and it doesn't like the led number plate lights.

My best friend's Superb has the same issue. Light bulb warning light was (and maybe still is) on every time weather was damp or was raining or after had his car washed.

Then a few days ago he came my place for a visit and later when we was about to leave that annoying light came up again. We checked every possible bulb in and out of the car and everything seemed fine. BUT he had to go around the block in order to go. THEN I noticed that his corner lights were not functioning, even if few minutes ago during un - parking maneuvers they were functioning.

Now we wait until the car is booked and see what the problem is.

• 3 months later...

If it is the 'Bulb Failure' light and coming on up to 2 seconds after the ignition is switched on, then check to see if there is a faulty bulb.

If it has DRL's, then check if it is one of those with the engine on.

Then check with the lights on if the DRLs become the sidelights, and check all the rest.

Headlight, tail/brake lights, reversing light and number plate lights.

If they all work when they should you need to start looking at loose bulbs, connections or earths.

george

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, guys!

Tell me please, have you a messages on maxi-dot about which bulb/s is/are burnt.

For example: "check license plate lights".

I haven't this messages, but about it written in Owner's Manual.

I've only lamp on tachymeter.

Thank's for answers.

Edited by Alexei

The orange lamp can apparently also indicate a fault with the headlight levelling motors so it could also be that...

Did you read the Owners manual on it. Page 28.

'Rear Sidelights and Number plate bulbs'. as #10 in this thread mentions.

Try with the key out, the 'Parking Lights', Indicator stalk down.

?is there one Tail Light on, & the Number plate light at that side stalk the other way, same thing, one Tail Light, one side of the Number plate?

& one Front Sidelight on as a 'Parking Light'?

Maybe not relevant to all Models.

george

Hey, guys! Are you carefully read my post?

Have you a messages on maxi-dot about which bulb/s is/are burnt?

Say: Yes/no!

Thank you!

PS Diodes are not diagnosed.

Edited by Alexei

I had this light come on after the windscreen was replaced on my Roomster, all bulbs OK, turned out to be a connector problem in the engine bay. So there must be a connector just under the windscreen in the engine bay which can become loose. This would account for lights coming on when wipers are used.

• 9 months later...

I had an intermittent bulb failure warning that was driving me insane.

It turned out to be a loose earthing point nut in the left hand side of the boot behind the left hand boot liner.  The earthing nut was very loose and corroded a little due to water laying there for a while due to the infamous Octavia rear wash wipe motor leaking water into the boot and surrounding areas every time I operated the rear wash/wiper.

After I cleaned up the connectors and tighted the earthing nut, I have not had any more problems or bulb failure messages.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

I have this problem too, light bulb warning light comes up every time I push the break paddle... It is not there when I start the engine, or turn lights on... Checked all the bulbs, every earth wire, everything seems to be ok. VAG com doesn't read anything...no fault, and it can't be erased... :(

• 7 months later...

No bulb warning light as such on mine but when I had a few bulbs fail and the brake light switch too, it set off the ESP warning light. Dealer said its not uncommon on these if either/both faults arise.

• 2 years later...
On 26/10/2012 at 15:16, 2tite said:

Hi kermit82

was it raining when you left the dealers - did you have the windscreen wipers on?

Hi dirty hari

I thought I had same problem as you with the bulb failure warning light coming on when it was damp or raining

but turns out it has nothing to do with damp - the connection as another member pointed out some time ago with mine its the windscreen wipers being on & pressing the foot brake at the same time

After quite a bit of messing about I too have noticed that I have the windscreen wiper and foot brake bulb out warning when my lights are on.  It took me ages to figure out that it was this combination!!  

Does anyone know what the solution is??  I’ve had my windscreen replaced recently so I wonder if something was disturbed?