Fabia vRS rear mudflaps 'How To'

HellFire

As per my previous post about gauging the popularity for a decent "How To" with pictures for the Fabia vRS rear mud flaps I have created a review of how I did it.

Remember doing it this way is much easier than cutting up the rear mud flaps and gives a better fit IMO

Tools required

T-Bar, 7mm socket, T-20 tip or a Torque wrench (1.5nm), Dremmel/Stanley Knife.

Time taken

1 hour if everything goes smoothly which is rare (took me 2 hours but I wanted to make sure everything was spot on) :o

Effects

Should in theory reduce stone chips to the rear of the car & stop the same amount of muck & grime building up on the rear

Skill

DIY Novice but a bit of persistence I found is required.

The first things to do is jack up the rear of the car and remove the spare wheel, this will make working with the mud flaps much easier. You also need to use a T-Bar with a 7mm socket and a T-20 tip to remove the 3 star like self tapers (positioned where you will fit the rear mud flaps).

mudflap.JPG

Now you have the wheel off, notice how the upper part of the bumper (the same on every Fabia) is different to the lower part of the bumper, for some reason somebody in Czech land decided to make the vRS rear bumper much thicker making the fitment of any rear mud flaps ni' on impossible. The square where I have highlighted is where you need to cut.

mudflap (1).JPG

Surprisingly the vRS bumper is really easy to cut, I would still recommend washing the area pre hand and if possible using a hair dryer just to warm the plastic up. I didn't bother as I found it very easy to cut and leave an excellent finish.

mudflap (6).JPG

Once you have removed the excess bumper you should be left with something like the below.

mudflap (2).JPG

Fitting the rear mud flaps is now a doddle and using a hair dryer I recommend heating up the mud flaps to make the plastic more manoeuvrable. With some careful positioning and a bit of brute force the rear mud flaps should slide into place and then using the self tappers provided use your T-Bar and 7mm socket with T-20 tip to again tighten the mud flaps to the bumper again, and hey presto.

mudflap (3).JPG

mudflap (4).JPG

The only slight snag for me anyway was that the self tappers provided with the mud flaps don

• Like 1

great, I spend all this time doing it and no one cares one iota.

Nice pics - well written. If I had a) a Fabia, or B) no mudflaps, I'd certainly care :D

Great item' date=' any objections if we copy into the BRISKODA tomb inc images for history?

Eg into our guides section?[/quote']

Thats what I was hoping, or a Sticky post? :thumbup:

Oh and yes they are the standard Fabia rear mudflaps.

Do I detect a slight tintage on the rear lights ;)

Definately not, just a poor camera mate, the only mod I would ever make to the rear lights is to update them to the 05 style ones, i'm not a lexus light fan. :thumbup:

Great article. Nice job you did there, and please don't get me wrong, from tehnical point of view and final result it's great, but only you realy wanted mudflaps.

Regarding mud-flaps, in general, my opinion is quite theopposite:mud-flaps just make the fabia ugly and they need to be taken off. I had mud-flaps on mine and took them off imediately after I've put on wider wheels with smaller ET. In my opinion tuned/sport cars and mudflaps don't go along for looks. They may be useful for keeping the car clean and traffic attitude, but for looks they are a big NO-NO.

Unfortunately, mine is a combi, and not a vRS but I realy like the way the vRS looks with it's wide wheels coming out clean in the rear + the sport muffler.

TOP GUIDE! :thumbup:

I have done mine, but the screw you weren't happy with seemed ok to me. I used the metal flat bolt thing above the bumper to get a nice tight grip...

And I think they look really smart, love the look. Even go towards making it less chav imo...

Great article. Nice job you did there' date=' and please don't get me wrong, from tehnical point of view and final result it's great, but only you realy wanted mudflaps.

Regarding mud-flaps, in general, my opinion is quite theopposite:mud-flaps just make the fabia ugly and they need to be taken off. I had mud-flaps on mine and took them off imediately after I've put on wider wheels with smaller ET. In my opinion tuned/sport cars and mudflaps don't go along for looks. They may be useful for keeping the car clean and traffic attitude, but for looks they are a big NO-NO.

Unfortunately, mine is a combi, and not a vRS but I realy like the way the vRS looks with it's wide wheels coming out clean in the rear + the sport muffler.[/quote']

they look better on a black vrs

A very good, and clearly worded write up (and some nice background scenery :) ). I have one question, you say that 4 self tapping screws are provided with each of the mud flaps, three can be seen in the wheel arch, and the fourth one appears to be under the rear bumper. I guess the three located in the wheel arch screw into existing holes (which retain the arch liner?), but do you have to drill a hole for the fourth one?

^^

What he said.

With regards to the looks, I agree I do prefer the look of the vRS without mudflaps, however I do drive briskly from time to time and the back roads where I live throw up a lot of grit, with that in mind I will sacrifice a 10th of the looks to hopefully stop the painwork chipping and reduce grime on the rear of the car (as it always gets mucky very quickly), I know it won't solve the problem, as it's down to aerodynamics but it should certainly have some effect.

I couldn't slide the metal clip over the bumper bit, but there was a hole so I just put the clip thing above the hole and it screwed nice and tight!

Just an update to advise that after 3 days of driving (300 miles in total), the rear has noticably less muck on it, don't get me wrong it wont solve the problem due to the Fabia's areodynamics (brick) but it certainly has reduced dust hitting the rear by quite a large amount, certainly worth the money and the effort!

I'm going to adapt the rear mudflaps slightly to have the vRS logo's on them as some stickers are available near where I live which look like they are extremely SSSTTTTIIICCCCKKKKYYYY so shouldnt have any issues with dirt building up or going through a car wash etc.

Is this thread being made sticky or being tranferred to an article/review?

And just an update to say that after 1 week of driving with the mudflaps on the rear definately has a lot less grime on it, you do still get some, but as previously mentioned this is down to the egg box aerodynamics of the Fabia, but it's a definate improvement :thumbup:

• 3 weeks later...

Great how to

Bought and fitted them yesterday, it was a wee bit scary on the first side taking a knife to the plastic bumper though, that said it worked a treat.

Only thing was, the mudflaps I got dont seem the same as the ones in the piccies, I didn't get any self tappes with the new mudflaps and apart from the top mounting hole I had to mark and drill the other two holes on the mudflap before being able to fit them.

Hopefully this will help reduce the crud that gets thrown up on to the rear screen.

• 4 months later...