Fabia vRS rear mudflaps 'How To'

HellFire

There aren't any mudflaps for the vRS. You need to modify the 'standard' ones for the Fabia - something I have to do when I remove the rear bumper to fit reversing sensors. :(

• 3 weeks later...

Hello,

Why can't someone create a rear mudflap that attachs to rear lower-part of bumper on my Fabia VRS ?? without chopping bits off !!

My idea would be, the same out-line of the bumper shaped mudflap, which would have an enlarged moulded lip outside/rear of mudflap.

The self tapping screws would be feed through this mudflap moulding lip directly into the plastic bumper moulding, to secure.

Plastic plugs would then fill screw holes, giving a better presentation.

Job would take a conservative 15 minutes a side, with a refreshing look to please.

Another thought and suggestion.!!

Have a zinc (because of rust factor) strip screwed to plastic bumper moulding, with it having protruding short strips of metal.

The mudlap could be trimmed (if a universl type) to shape, and presented to the metal protrusions and self-tappers would go through mudflap into these protrusions to secure in place.

Thats me done of ideas for today.LOL

Ian. 02/05/2009 :):thumbup:

Edited by giandougl
Another idea

• 9 months later...

As per my previous post about gauging the popularity for a decent "How To" with pictures for the Fabia vRS rear mud flaps I have created a review of how I did it.

Remember doing it this way is much easier than cutting up the rear mud flaps and gives a better fit IMO

Tools required

T-Bar, 7mm socket, T-20 tip or a Torque wrench (1.5nm), Dremmel/Stanley Knife.

Time taken

1 hour if everything goes smoothly which is rare (took me 2 hours but I wanted to make sure everything was spot on) :o

Effects

Hi,

Like others who have asked already, any chance of sending me the pics or re-posting them on the site?

New Briskodian so be gentle if they are to be found elsewhere.

Thanks.

Should in theory reduce stone chips to the rear of the car & stop the same amount of muck & grime building up on the rear

Skill

DIY Novice but a bit of persistence I found is required.

The first things to do is jack up the rear of the car and remove the spare wheel, this will make working with the mud flaps much easier. You also need to use a T-Bar with a 7mm socket and a T-20 tip to remove the 3 star like self tapers (positioned where you will fit the rear mud flaps).

mudflap.JPG

Now you have the wheel off, notice how the upper part of the bumper (the same on every Fabia) is different to the lower part of the bumper, for some reason somebody in Czech land decided to make the vRS rear bumper much thicker making the fitment of any rear mud flaps ni' on impossible. The square where I have highlighted is where you need to cut.

mudflap (1).JPG

Surprisingly the vRS bumper is really easy to cut, I would still recommend washing the area pre hand and if possible using a hair dryer just to warm the plastic up. I didn't bother as I found it very easy to cut and leave an excellent finish.

mudflap (6).JPG

Once you have removed the excess bumper you should be left with something like the below.

mudflap (2).JPG

Fitting the rear mud flaps is now a doddle and using a hair dryer I recommend heating up the mud flaps to make the plastic more manoeuvrable. With some careful positioning and a bit of brute force the rear mud flaps should slide into place and then using the self tappers provided use your T-Bar and 7mm socket with T-20 tip to again tighten the mud flaps to the bumper again, and hey presto.

mudflap (3).JPG

mudflap (4).JPG

The only slight snag for me anyway was that the self tappers provided with the mud flaps don�t appear to grab tightly enough on the bottom of the rear bumper (90% ok), however providing the other 3 self tappers are securely tightened the mud flap will not fly off (some spirited driving later confirmed this). I personally however will get some slightly longer self tappers for under the rear bumper just to make sure everything is 100% tight. Picture below is of the self tapper which doesn�t quite tighten enough, but as you can see it's pretty secure still.

mudflap (5).JPG

Finally, put the wheel back on the car (hopefully no explanation needed :D) and admire your beautiful new rear mud flaps.

mudflap (7).JPG

Hope this helps, if anyone has any questions as usual ask :thumbup:

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

My mate's just bought a vRS SE with front and rear mud flaps fitted. I've just rung Simpsons to order a set. About £25 for the set of 4. They reckon the only mods needed are drilling the actual rear bumper to fit the flaps. They had a good look at how they were mounted whilst the car my mate bought was in their showroom.

looking at the car myself it certainly looks the case.

Anyway, the flaps I've ordered should be here Wednesday, so I'll pick them up Friday.

:thumbup:;)

Got my mudflaps, fitted the fronts and compared the new mudflap with the fitted ones on my mates car.

The fitted flaps have been cut., inner portion with the mounting holes has been cut off and the mudflaps secured to the side of the bumper with self tappers.

This way both the mudflaps and the bumper (self tapping holes) have been modified whereas in the original post only the bumper needs cutting.

Either way, once they're on they've got to stay on :smirk:

EDit - looking again at the rear bumper it does seem quite thick at the point where the lip needs to be cut, does it fit OK into the slot on the mudflap? Without pictures I don't want to bugger it up.

Edited by vRS G60

• 2 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...
  • 5 years later...

@ vRS19TD.

John, " Is it the bit off the rear wheel arch your wanting to look at ? "

Some say trim the bumper, others say trim the mud flap, i just want to see what exactly needs trimming and most threads are so old the pictures no longer exist.

I think i know what needs cutting but the last thing i want to do is cut and mess up the bumper, then have to replace it.

Some say trim the bumper, others say trim the mud flap, i just want to see what exactly needs trimming and most threads are so old the pictures no longer exist.

I think i know what needs cutting but the last thing i want to do is cut and mess up the bumper, then have to replace it.

Trim the lip off the lower wheel arce edge ( part of your rear bumper which is plastic ). I used a Sharp Stanly knife when I did mine years ago. The groove in the rear mudflap will then sit snuggly onto the the arch edge and then use the arch liner screws to fasten it on.

Hope all that makes sense

I now have an Octavia MKIII Vrs so I can't send you any pictures, sorry.

Edited by Auric Goldfinger
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 6 years later...