Press clutch to start engine?

Safety foremost. It's to stop the car leaping forwards when you start it in case it's been inadvertently left in gear.

Second, it's also much easier on the starter motor and battery, as it doesn't have the extra burden of having to spin the clutch driven plate and the gear box.

• Like 3

Ben about for a few years. Had a hire car few years ago with this. Wouldn't start.Phoned hire co to be be embarrassed by being told to press clutch.

• Like 1

Ben about for a few years. Had a hire car few years ago with this. Wouldn't start.Phoned hire co to be be embarrassed by being told to press clutch.

Goes back even further - at least fifteen years ago a workmate had some Hyundai coupe or similar that needed it.

In honesty, it's good form anyway and I wouldn't necessarily notice as I always dip the clutch when starting a car.

Always best practice to start with the clutch pressed.

The gear stick could look/feel like it's in neutral but the linkage/gearbox could get stuck and it might actually be in gear.

Plus as above it eases the burden on the starter and battery.

Phil

My MY12 (07/11 build) vRS TDI says "Depress Clutch" on the MFD.

My previous car, a MY07 Kia Rio 1.4 required you to put the clutch in before it would start, too!

That being said - I only realised it when a friend of mine went to move my car and asked "Why isn't it starting?!"

Turning the key frantically, he put the clutch in and it started!!... Good habit to have, and keep, I guess. :)

A couple of days later, he started his own car, lurched forwards and took out the brick fence... No damage, bullbar caught it all but man was his ego bruised!! :)

A friend of mine never pressed the clutch and blamed me when he lurched his car forward when starting it - as I left it in gear.

Next day I jacked up his rear end and dragged his car 20m around the corner out of sight (luckily steering lock did not click!).

He always leaves his car in gear now (With wheels ponting into kerb) and depresses clutch like a good boy.

Don't be embarassed - happened to me too with a Peugeot. The clutch needed to be floored to start the engine whilst for operation it only needed dipping - that was my excuse anyway and I was reasonably happy with it once I had it settled in my mind.

When I was in my mid-20's (a long, long time ago).... I trained as a Driving Instructor for two years whilst going through all the tests etc for the full DOTADI Licence and I always pressed the clutch in before turning the ignition as I could never be 100% sure how the previous learner driver had left it - I've done that since then and it's been second nature to me ever since.....

For security/peace of mind I always leave it in gear as I used to live/park on a pretty steep hill and it made sense at that time - even though I don't live there now it's also second nature for me to put it in gear now wherever I park.