Vrs rear brakes

Ive got the same, only just started happening, it seems like the pad on the passenger rear doesnt fully release, i have new discs and pads ready to fit but wondering if im best of waiting until ive got it sorted

There are lots of threads on this issue, it does seem common, you can fit springs to assist them but that is not a definite fix, I have sticking calipers myself and have the springs fitted, they do help a little but I have been spraying up the rear of the calipers every few days with gt85 and this seems to be working as it is driving out all the grime and rust from the handbrake mech, hopefully a few more sprays of this will see the problem fixed

Mine was all cleaned thoroughly and re-lubed correctly when I fitted new discs and pads all round last year. It did it before then and it still did it almost straight away. I'm not going to stress about it, since everything seems to be wearing evenly.

ill ask this here rather than start a new thread, ive got the springs that have been mentioned ordered as well as need discs and pads so is it worth while cleaning up the slider etc whole its all apart?

is there anything i need to look out for when bleeding the brakes?

This is a very common issue across the VAG group and even Skoda recalled some cars because of it.

As mentioned lot's of posts about it. Normally named term is "mooing" as sounds like a cow certainly in the cold weather.

Drove me nuts.

It is caused by a combination of poor hand brake return mechanism and or including brake friction material and or lazy rear caliper.

Some folks get one of these issues other have had all three.

Skoda released a special bracket like this one.

Pic shows std one on the left

VRSRearBrakeMooingsquelfix26.jpg

The extra rubber pad acts like a sound resonator as the mooing sound is caused by the resonation through the rear beam.

Here is mine fitted:

Before

VRSRearBrakeMooingsquelfix10.jpg

after

VRSRearBrakeMooingsquelfix.jpg

If you have issue caused by friction material using skoda dealer pads or Pagid pads seem to cure that one

If you have lazy caliper, a good clean and lube on the caliper guides tends to fix that one

If you have poor handbrake cable return, taking off the rear brake cable and spraying down the sheath can cure that and clean and spray of the return mechanism can help.

Failing that fit the kit mentioned like I did and I have no more mooing (touch wood) after 2 years of fitting.

Some folks have also fitted the VW sharan rear springs to the handbrake return bracket to aid pulling back the cable to the home position and from what i have been told seems to work as well and cheaper than the kit from skoda (at around £100) springs are around £10. I have P/N's for both somewhere.

• Like 1

thanks for that breakdown, I'm pretty sure my problem is caused by the handbrake not fully releasing as the disc on the rear passenger side is getting really hot, I'll get some brake cleaner blasted on it later and try and clear any crud and then make sure its all greased up fully when I change the pads and discs when I have a chance, hopefully that will sort it as its been fine for what is almost a year that I've had it and only in the last few days its started

• 1 month later...

thanks for that breakdown, I'm pretty sure my problem is caused by the handbrake not fully releasing as the disc on the rear passenger side is getting really hot, I'll get some brake cleaner blasted on it later and try and clear any crud and then make sure its all greased up fully when I change the pads and discs when I have a chance, hopefully that will sort it as its been fine for what is almost a year that I've had it and only in the last few days its started

I would also consider replacing the cable as these have 2 cables, perhaps the passenger side is siezing, they do get badly corroded and reduce the inner cable movement. Just a thought..

• 3 years later...

re start of an old thread but hey 

just a quick one fitted new genuine rear calipers and discs and pads not long ago 2 years max done about 8,000 miles and rear passenger grabbing could this be down to a cable or are they just that crap?????????????????????????????????????

surely last longer than this also have the springs fitted too 

• 3 weeks later...