Active Bonnet

I can't comment specifically about the Skoda but here's a quote about the new Santa Fe which gives marginally more info but maybe just for that car though.

The Santa Fe also features the Active Bonnet System that effectively raises the height of the hood by 60mm, helping pedestrians avoid catastrophic head injuries in the event of a collision.

The problems with these systems (and I'm not denying there are advantages) is that they can't tell the difference between a pedestrian and anything else.

So when you have any bump to the front end the system can deploy leaving you with a large bill.

In some ways this is good, as the car is more likely to be written off given you a nice fresh one rather than a repaired one after an accident. But when it's a minor bump or driver error that you'll be paying for it's a PITA.

The GT-R system costs £3,500 to reset. I wonder what the Skoda cost will be.

I did some looking around at at least the system in Mercs is user resettable and requires no change of parts. I hope the Skoda one goes the same way.

I'd imagine these have a lower threshold for triggering than regular airbags, so even a small bump might write your car off otherwise.

I've seen youtube video's of volvo's system.

Yes I can see how it can help the daft people that forget to "look" but as other I have issues about small bumps or the system being triggered accidently or even on perpose by "kids" thinking its funny.

• 3 months later...

A little bit more info from NCAP:

The Skoda is equipped with an 'active' bonnet as standard equipment in all EU27 countries. This system lifts the bonnet when a pedestrian has been struck to provide greater clearance between the bonnet surface and hard structures in the engine bay, improving head protection. Skoda showed that the system worked for a range of pedestrian statures and over a range of speeds. The system worked well, the bonnet providing good protection to the head of a struck pedestrian in almost all areas tested. Euro NCAP also tested the car with a normal, non-deployable bonnet. In this case, protection was adequate in most areas tested. Although the score for pedestrian protection was reduced compared to the active system, the car still qualified for 5 stars. The front edge of the bonnet provided marginal or poor protection to a pedestrian's pelvic region but the bumper scored maximum points, offering good protection to pedestrians' legs.

Link doesn't work above but think it's this picture from Skoda via Twitter:

post-18764-0-07938100-1362666494_thumb.jpg

• 9 months later...

Bit of a thread revival:

Does anyone know anything about this system, my car is a very early example and has the system fitted (now discontinued, I believe due to cost)

I do hope that I never have to find out, but the handbook says that if activated, the system will have to be replaced, but how much would it cost?

Bit of a thread revival:

Does anyone know anything about this system, my car is a very early example and has the system fitted (now discontinued, I believe due to cost)

Is there a way to check whether this is fitted on the car?

now discontinued, I believe due to cost

I do hope that I never have to find out, but the handbook says that if activated, the system will have to be replaced, but how much would it cost?

Well that answers the question if its one shot or resettable.

If they're discontinuing it due to how much it costs them, then you can be sure it will cost so much it will be an automatic writeoff.

I know similar systems in other cars can cost thousands.

Does anyone know which build date this was discontinued? My car was build week 17, which was late April so quite early in production run as was ordered on launch weekend.

Does anyone know which build date this was discontinued? My car was build week 17, which was late April so quite early in production run as was ordered on launch weekend.

According to Euro NCAP, its in cars with VINs before TMBBG7NE8D0040380.

Cheers, I'll have a look under the hood for the wiring later! Alternatively, will have to get my wife's mother-in-law to act as crash test dummy!

Sent from my RM-885_eu_euro1_271 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Look at the picture from Superskoda (already linked by ahaavi):

active-hood_zps4997c3dd.jpg

There's a black plastic thing on either side with some fairly chunky looking wiring -it isn't easy to see if it is a solenoid or some sort of pyrotechnic plunger -if activated it probably mangles the bonnet or hinges or both. 

I'll scan my handbook if I can't find one on-line covering the relevant section: There is some information about NOT using number plate holders

Cheers, I'll have a look under the hood for the wiring later! Alternatively, will have to get my wife's mother-in-law to act as crash test dummy!

Your own mother!? That's harsh...

• Like 1

You'll have to say that you didn't either!

She's off the hook, I've found the wiring, definitely active on mine!

• Like 1

How does this provide protection unless it has an airbag?

NCAP says extra clearance between bonnet and hard areas in engine bay. Eh, the bonnet already is hard, and if you fall onto the bonnet, you arent going to fall into the engine bay.

I can only see it protecting pedestrians if it also deploys an airbag and protects the pedestrians head from hitting the windscreen.

• Like 1