Fuel consumption suddenly increased.

Sara. S

Dear Yeti Owners,

Does anyone have any idea why our fuel consumption should suddenly increase? We have had our Yeti 110 diesel SE since September 2011. The fuel economy wasn't brilliant to start with, as would be expected from a new diesel engine, but as time has gone on this has steadily improved. I know the average fuel consumption in MPG on the computer thingy is not entirely accurate but if I use the readings from it just to illustrate what is happening.

I occasionally use the Yeti to commute to work, 30 miles each way. I start work early mornig so traffic is light, it is a mixture of country lanes, town and dual carrigeway. The average mpg usually reads around 60 on the trip to work. On the return journey there is more traffic and the average mpg reads around 58.

For the last two tanks of fuel the average consumption is showing 51mpg going to work and about the same for the return journey. I thought it could be a dodgy tank of fuel so made sure that the next fill up was from a different supplier, same problem.

My OH spoke with our Skoda dealer, they asked us to monitor the miles we get to a tank of fuel from fuel warning light coming on, filling up and then the light coming on again. Fuel consumption was 485 miles to the tank, whereas we normally get around 550.

Has any other member experienced this? Mileage is 11500, engine appears to be running fine. Skoda dealer said that having the heater and lights on will put more strain on the engine and effect fuel consumption?????? Ok.....but by so much???

Any advice would be appreciated.

Sara.

Winter diesel being supplied at the pumps now?

I find the high-cost diesel formulations appear to have a surprisingly large effect on fuel consumption, and understand that diesel supplies have a different formulation in Winter. That might explain it...

PS: congrats on the good economy figures... Even if the car is 10% optimistic 60 (ie ~54mpg) is pretty good!

Dear Yeti Owners,

Does anyone have any idea why our fuel consumption should suddenly increase? We have had our Yeti 110 diesel SE since September 2011. The fuel economy wasn't brilliant to start with, as would be expected from a new diesel engine, but as time has gone on this has steadily improved. I know the average fuel consumption in MPG on the computer thingy is not entirely accurate but if I use the readings from it just to illustrate what is happening.

I occasionally use the Yeti to commute to work, 30 miles each way. I start work early mornig so traffic is light, it is a mixture of country lanes, town and dual carrigeway. The average mpg usually reads around 60 on the trip to work. On the return journey there is more traffic and the average mpg reads around 58.

For the last two tanks of fuel the average consumption is showing 51mpg going to work and about the same for the return journey. I thought it could be a dodgy tank of fuel so made sure that the next fill up was from a different supplier, same problem.

My OH spoke with our Skoda dealer, they asked us to monitor the miles we get to a tank of fuel from fuel warning light coming on, filling up and then the light coming on again. Fuel consumption was 485 miles to the tank, whereas we normally get around 550.

Has any other member experienced this? Mileage is 11500, engine appears to be running fine. Skoda dealer said that having the heater and lights on will put more strain on the engine and effect fuel consumption?????? Ok.....but by so much???

Any advice would be appreciated.

Sara.

My commuting is in a Passat TDi and in summer, the trip computer usually indicates mid-high fifties mpg. In colder winter spells, this drops to 48-50 mpg although admittedly, my commute is much shorter at 7 miles each way. has the consumption increase coincided with a cold spell in your area?

The weather has been colder of late, lights, heaters, aircon, heated screens.....all can affect mpg.

However your change does seem quite significant and higher than i'd expect just for the above factors.

I wonder if it's a sticking brake or low tyre pressure adding to the mix. Check the wheel temperature after a run and if one or two wheels are hotter than the rest that might be a clue.

Of course you may just have been enjoying your Yeti and giving it more beans than usual!

Economy might well change by the amount you are experiencing.

If the trip is 30 miles & you are starting it with an ambient temperature of 0-5 degrees celsius rather than 15-20 degrees celsius,

you have maybe 5 more miles to cover before the engine, coolant & oil is at the best economy temperature.

Lights, heater, heated rear screen, mirrors, radio, all have the alternator working harder.

You now have Winter Diesel in your tank from your filling station, and that should not make economy worse.

Cooler air, more oxygen & a better running engine. (not really, but sometimes.)

Go slower on colder roads & get better economy. (but seldom happens really with a diesel engine.)

Have you adjusted or checked your tyre pressures now that the weather is colder?

george

It'll be a combination of winter diesel now being supplied from the pumps and the fact that the temperatures have drops causing the diesels to take even longer to warm up to an efficient operating temperature. I see a 4mpg difference (expect slightly more on a bigger VAG diesel engine) on my diesel every winter around this time and its been the same since new.

Thank you All for your speedy replies, much appreciated. :happy:

It was particularly cold this morning and I used both the heated front and rear screens. I noticed that the average consumption was very slow to climb. To be honest, I had no idea that there were different diesel formulations depending on the time of year and I have been driving diesels for the last 20 years, good to know. Hopefully that is all it is.

I haven't been driving any faster, in fact the complete opposite since I noticed the poor economy. I have tried to accelerate gently, keep at a steady speed etc but it has made no difference.

During the Summer I was regularly getting average consumption figures of 62.9mpg on my 30 mile trip to work, so this mornings 51.1mpg was a bit of a shock. :think:

The fuel light came on just as I arrived at work. What I will do is fill up at another petrol station and monitor for the next tank full, I will also check my tyre pressures today.

Thank you :hi:

Its usually in the filling station tanks earlier in Scotland than down south.

Not up to date of the recent years,

i use Tesco & it was mid to late October this year.

http://www.en.wikipe...ter_diesel_fuel

This is the Petrol (Tesco Momentum) information, the Diesel is available with a Google.

http://www.tesco.com/Momentum99/productBenefits-specs.asp

george

Another possible factor is wet weather. I notice my mpg drops about 2mpg in wet weather - I put that down to the increased road friction in the wet - modern tyres lift gallons an gallons of water off the road, and that must take a fair bit of energy.

I've recorded about a 10% reduction in fuel consumption over the last several winters, both with the Yeti and my previous Freelanders. I put this down to a longer "warm-up" period plus the extra load impossed by fans, heaters, screen heaters, etc.