drivers door issue :(

dubDEAN

my first real vrs problem

the drivers door lock won't function at all worked yesterday morning , went out to the car in afternoon all other doors opened but drivers one?????? locks from the the inside but de locked from outside :( plugged it in came up with fault on lock and on rh mirror which tells me a wiring issue so reset and worked fine last night this morning it opened then got to work won't lock??????????? took boot off from door connection where wires feed through and found a red wire with the outer cracked and the copper wire looking a tad green not snapped just horrible colour inside so taped up to stop damp getting in and worked fine now nothing at all any ideas??????????????

Ooops.

Sounds like you've hit the corroded wires issue...

It'll definitely be the wires you're talking about.

You'll need to trace them to the door lock mech, and probably replace them.

Chances are the corrosion will have spread to whatever they're connected to too, so i'd give it a full once over.

vortex has a bunch of threads devoted to this, for example:

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?4985673-Replacing-Door-Wiring-Harnesses-Brittle-Wiring-amp-Corrosion&p=67024754

RIGHT GOT A SPARE LOOM OUT OF MY PARTS VRS :) but not sure if its lock as opened car yesterday drivers door stayed locked flung my stuff on back seat pushed door to re tried the central locking remotely on key and it opened :p what the hell that sound like a sticking lock mech to anyone ? also have a spare one of these and the rest of them in the car lol

inspected further was actually the window mrch :( one of the pins had corroded off into the plug so upon impact etc like slamming door or hitting a pot hole was breaking connection so swapped it out and loom from other vrs breaker i have too :) all works again now