Diesel engine warm up

MikeWales

My first diesel engine car, so I need to ask the question.

I know the weather is colder, but I have noticed that even after 5 miles or so driving on country roads at 40 - 55 mph, when I come to a junction, the engine is idling at just over 1,000. (a bit like still having the choke out - for those old enough to know what I mean!) :rofl:

Is this usual or is the DPF being regenerated?

It usually calms down within the next 5 minutes or so and then idles normally.

Thanks

Edited by MikeWales

+1, I put it down to increased electrical loads on the engine after a cold start ,then running lights,wipers,heated seats,radio, recharging the battery.

I don't know for definite but it does seem to last a long time?

Quite normal for a diesel. Whilst cold it ingests more fuel, just like a choke.

Nothing to worry about.

:whew: Thanks Graham!

Diesels always take an age to heat up; the blocks are heavier and the way a diesel engine works means they get a lot of excess air flowing through them, which keeps the whole thing cool, especially when the air is so cold. It's part of the reason a diesel can idle all day without overheating.

pinkpanther,

is it only the Coolant that is up to temperature in 2-3 minutes, or both Coolant & engine oil? & even in cold weather?

george

No way of knowing in the Octavia, as it lacks an oil temperature gauge. It does however tick over normally after a mile or two.

On cold days like today, my Monsters oil rarely ventures past 85 deg C; possible why the dpf is so keen on regenerating actively.

Intended to get one of those lower grill covers but funds are a bit tight to say the least, after the unexpected early arrival of our Fabia Monte Carlo (collect next week fingers crossed); was due mid Jan :giggle:

TP

My Yeti in cold weather will take more than 15-20 mins in cold weather, sometimes longer, to get up to working temperature. It will have just started to blow warming air through the system by then. The electric seat heating takes about 10 minutes to get up to full burning b0tt0m temperature.

Mileage is subjective. How long does it take to do that number of miles, how hard is the engine working, what is the ambient temperature. Etc. etc.

This morning, leaving home.

0430 and -2 degrees.

Car standing outdoors all night.

Cover over windscreen overnight.

Settings at "max windscreen" and 22 degrees.

Slightly warm air through vents after 4 miles (5 mins), then up to full temp after 12 miles.(15 mins)

Don't know about oil temp as don't bother to look at it.

OK, it isn't quite as quick as a petrol, but it does me!

This morning, leaving home.

0430 and -2 degrees.

Car standing outdoors all night.

Cover over windscreen overnight.

Settings at "max windscreen" and 22 degrees.

Slightly warm air through vents after 4 miles (5 mins), then up to full temp after 12 miles.(15 mins)

Don't know about oil temp as don't bother to look at it.

OK, it isn't quite as quick as a petrol, but it does me!

Pretty much the same here earlier today.

Don't know if it still true, but my old Golf TDI (1995) would always warm up (and warm up the cabin) much more quickly in cold weather by keeping the cabin heat off for the first 3-5 miles to get the engine warm. If I started from very cold with the heater turned up, it would take ages to warm.

These days with climate control, I just tend to turn the temperature to the minimum setting above "Lo" until the engine coolant has got to about 70 degrees C. This seems to get the car warmer much quicker than leaving the climate control to its own devices.