Skoda vRS Mk2 Extended warranty

bingo765

Can anyone tell me how much it would cost to take out an extended warranty?

I'd like the price for 1,2 and 3 years.

I will have had my vRS 3 years next year and considering whether to keep or get another one.

It's a cracking car and despite early troubles with the spark plugs, it's been fault free.

Extending seems to be the sensible option if the price is right.

Advice much appreciated.

• Like 1

A satisfied owner - Seb won't like it :)

I was snooping on a Scirroco forum and a poster said VW are looking for £209 (or thereabouts) for an extra year, which seems reasonable.

Prices must have come down as I'm sure the price to extend the warranty on my Lupo GTi was a good bit more (and the Lupo is a much less complicated car - no auto / supercharger / turbo).

• Like 1

http://www.skoda.co.uk/GBR/owners/warranty/extended-warranty/extend-your-cover/Pages/Reasonstoextendyourcover.aspx

£305 for 2 extra years with Skoda. Does say though that you have to purchase at the time of buying the car. Can anyone confirm this warranty can be purchased at the end of initial warranty expiration?

http://www.skoda.co.uk/GBR/owners/warranty/extended-warranty/extend-your-cover/Pages/Reasonstoextendyourcover.aspx

£305 for 2 extra years with Skoda. Does say though that you have to purchase at the time of buying the car. Can anyone confirm this warranty can be purchased at the end of initial warranty expiration?

I asked that question and someone replied that you can extend - I'd be surprised if Skoda is any different from the rest of the VAG group - I was offered an extension on a VW (think it might only have been a year though).

There's 2 types of warranty. Manufacturers and Approved Used.

The manufacturers can only be added on new cars at time of purchase, this is an extension of the standard 3 years warranty.

The used car warranty can be added at any time up until the car is 10 years or 100k miles. The dealers will need to carry out a visual health check on the car to ensure that the car is mechanically sound. Once this is done they will add the warranty to the car.

Hope that helps :think:

Thanks for the info guys.I think so long as it's a skoda approved warranty and not one of those alternative 'cheaper' ones, it should be a fairly safe option.

I've had it regularly maintained and trust the dealers as I have done for years ,so think I'll probably go for a further 2 years.

The alternative is to go for another new car, however, the VAT free deals have unfortunately harmed 2nd hand prices and I won't be prepared to accept a low part exchange.

Warranty Direct seem to have a good reputation - however, agree with you Bingo, Skoda approved is probably the best bet (even though it's not as comprehensive as the original warranty).

Mind you, reading here I'm not particularly impressed by SUK's idea of customer care (or from personal experience VAG in general).

Mate had a Porsche engine fail out of warranty - Porsche agreed to replaced the engine (although he had to pick up the labour tab - £500). He bought the car in a private sale into the bargain - not sure VAG would take the same attitude...

Mate had a Porsche engine fail out of warranty - Porsche agreed to replaced the engine (although he had to pick up the labour tab - £500). He bought the car in a private sale into the bargain - not sure VAG would take the same attitude...

Porsche are part of VAG so you'd be hopeful of a similar helpful attitude perhaps

• 2 years later...

Sorry to resurrect an old post but it did have a nice clear title!

My VRS warranty expired in March and I was just curious to hear of any experiences with the different extended warranties. 

The main choices seem to be the "official" Skoda one, which is just a branded Car Care plan, then the other ones such as Warranty Direct and Warranty Wise. The Skoda one seems to have recently changed, the last quote I got was £399 for a year without Assist which I don't need, but with the addition of an £90 "inspection" fee if taken out after expiration. Both WD and WW are a bit cheaper, but not much and both, WW especially have been hounding me since with calls and I know they will reduce the quoted price.

I had a WD policy on my old Mk VRS, it was hit and miss - a 5 year old radiator which sprung a leak for no good reason was not accepted due to corrosion clauses, but a knackered intercooler was. On average I did not save anything through paying the warranty vs. the repair price.

However, I'm very wary of the amount of very expensive tech in the Mk2 VRS. It's only ever had main dealer history and serviced religiously to the intervals so I would hope a dose of goodwill be offered should anything fail, even with no warranty, but would rather be safe than sorry.

So any experiences of claims, or recommendations for other companies worth trying? 

Edited by TeebsVRS

I recommend sticking with buying the Skoda Approved Extended Warranty for 2 Years.

Other Warranty Providers might well be pulling the 'Know Faults' as Skoda knows of them, and then the various attempts at

repairs to keep costs down, rebuilds etc..

So the Car needs the Service Schedule followed, and the other Terms & Conditions,

No Warranty is a £4.500 Gamble on a Engine & a £2.500 on the DSG.

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/332034-extended-warranty

• Like 2

I'm currently investigating my options for when my Skoda-approved warranty expires - still got five months left but I like to plan ahead. I've got a quote from Warranty Direct and the girl from there is going to give me a phone nearer the time (although when the quote came through in the post it was 'non franchise', when I'd asked for 'franchise' - she indicated room for movement on the price - if they can do 'franchise' for the 'non franchise' price I could be tempted).

I know these sort of contracts aren't pitfall free (it's an insurance policy rather than a 'warranty') but it could be a gamble I'm willing to take. The car has only 25k on it and my mate commented this morning that he couldn't believe it was nearly five years old - I do look after my cars - anything that even might need done gets done.

I'll also contact Car Car (the Skoda-approved provider) and see if they can offer anything.

The Skoda extended warranty with Car Care includes breakdown cover , if you buy the extended warranty at the point of sale of a new car it doesnt !

I agree with George , there is no way I would buy outside of the Skoda product , just an extra bit of piece of mind.

Agree with Richf would only buy the Skoda warranty in which in my case I'm glad I did.

Mine ran out in June last year and spent a few months deliberating and in December stumped up 600 sheets including full inspection for 2 year approved Skoda one (26k on clock) now with 28k on the clock now need a new clutch pack so so so glad I bought it God knows why I waited till December but would advise anyone out of warranty to get cover imho. [emoji106]

I bought the Skoda extended warranty and am so glad that I did. I hadn't had any problems in the first year of ownership but as soon as I bought the extended warranty the car went in for 2 issues - crankshaft oil seal leak and the dreaded oil consumption issue. Everything has been covered either by Skoda or the extended warranty and I am currently driving around in a courtesy car at their expense. Yes, it's frustrating that we don't have our car but the oil seal issue alone would have cost more than the warranty.

Difficult to put a price on peace of mind.

• Like 1

What did you guys pay for the skoda approved warranty? I'm in the same boat as my cars warranty expires in September and I don't fancy having a big bill.

Bought from a Skoda Dealership when the 3 year warranty expired the 'Skoda Approved Extended Warranty'  

for 2 years was £547.

(1 year £399)     No idea now what the cost is.

I was £650 for two years including RAC breakdown (it was about £550 without the breakdown). Had my money out the breakdown as I've had the RAC out twice (both minor issues - broken ECU bracket caused an electrical fault and a flat battery today). Same patrolman on both occasions - told me today he's just bought an Octavia vRS in Race Blue for £2k - it has a blown turbo and the guy he bought it off didn't want to foot the repair bill (apparently he paid £6k for the car a few months ago) - RAC guy says he's getting a refurbed turbo (I think he said a new one is about a grand)

Brian did the RAC man not offer you a Battery from the van?

Or was the price shocking!

Nice pun ;).

Unfortunately he wasn't carrying one for the vRS (I forget which type it is) - he did double-check

I was offered one for the Volvo & it was £150.

when i said that they were only £82, i was told but we give a 5 year Warranty.

Early vRS are getting to be needing new batteries now, even on cars that are doing longer journeys.

• 3 months later...