What Clutch & Flywheel have you got?

Mounty

What clutch is that on?

Manufacturers rate them low so to cut down on warranties and so they are always safe! Your 400lbft clutch will last no problem!

its a awesome gti clutch and SMF at the moment but the sach figures qouted on darksides website is 400 for organic and 450 for paddle clutch.

Guest BigJase88

its a awesome gti clutch and SMF at the moment but the sach figures qouted on darksides website is 400 for organic and 450 for paddle clutch.

It will be fine! You do not want a paddle on a road car!!

my car gets some stick tho thats what im thinking, ive had 5 sets of tyres on the front in 30'000 miles due to how i drive the car. im going to have a good luck around first because although i drive the car hard i do alot or driving for work and often get stuck in traffic!

Guest BigJase88

Well if its not slipping what is the problem?

Paddle is impossible in traffic! But trust me that 400lb/ft rating will be overly conservative! It will be fine

Only makes a noise when idle and clutch is released really. Otherwise you wouldnt know.

If I was mapping to big power with other mods then I would probably have to have one.

I assume a DMF and standard clutch is more than capable of coping with just a remap to around 160bhp and anything below 300lb ft of torque?

Phil

Well if its not slipping what is the problem?

Paddle is impossible in traffic! But trust me that 400lb/ft rating will be overly conservative! It will be fine

a paddle clutch is far from impossible in traffic but it's not nice, wont like it and wont last. organic is what you want

• Like 1

So these clutches from cg Motorsport (or whoever the forum sponsor was offering multi paddle clutches on a GB) should be avoided then jase and Andy??! (You both seem to agree with the organic though)

Can I ask what it is about these multi paddle systems which suck as I have a few plans and know nothing...!! (Feel free to pm me if you don't wanna clog this up, but reckon its worth putting up experiences for people to make their own mind up?! )

Guest BigJase88

So these clutches from cg Motorsport (or whoever the forum sponsor was offering multi paddle clutches on a GB) should be avoided then jase and Andy??! (You both seem to agree with the organic though)

Can I ask what it is about these multi paddle systems which suck as I have a few plans and know nothing...!! (Feel free to pm me if you don't wanna clog this up, but reckon its worth putting up experiences for people to make their own mind up?! )

Basically the bite from a paddle is unreal, they are either in or out theres not much inbetween!

Awesome on a track car but completely impractical on a road car where you have to sit in traffic etc

A helix oragnic with helix smf will do anyone! I wreck clutches (so far 3 clutches 2 flywheels and 2 gearboxes - in 7 years) and this clutch worked for me on a hybrid without issue!

So, based on this information would I benefit getting another standard Dual Mass Flywheel and a Sachs High Performance clutch?!

Keep hearing bad things about solid flywheels, especially if you've got no plans to uprate the power further or using it for track days etc!

Guest BigJase88

What bhp are you at?

If your remapped to 170-180 stick with stock dmf and sachs uprated organic clutch

If your hybrid 220bhp etc get a helix organic and helix smf from mardigrasmotorsport (cheapest) it will rattle at idle but who cares its for performance :)

Guest BigJase88

Mine is easy to live with - other than the chatter - mine is the same as the original clutch & flywheel

Organic or paddle?

What bhp are you at?

If your remapped to 170-180 stick with stock dmf and sachs uprated organic clutch

If your hybrid 220bhp etc get a helix organic and helix smf from mardigrasmotorsport (cheapest) it will rattle at idle but who cares its for performance :)

Yeah it's mapped at 177bhp. However, Awesome reckon my car is running at 325lb/ft torque! Had dyno print out, but suppose that doesn't mean it's mine!! Will the stock DMF cope with that amount of torque, if it is correct?

That's a lot of torque for a standard duel mass to take!

My thoughts exactly!

I'm seriously considering removing the map and taking it back to standard. This Awesome remap has caused me nothing but hassle! Turbo popped in September taking out some hoses too and now the clutch/possible flywheel on it's way! What's next?!

I think the problem is Awesome remaps are far too spikey for too shorter time. I need a smooth map. Based on previous experiences, I would be happy with 250lb/ft torque and 160bhp. That would do me nicely! I could then get away with a standard clutch/flywheel and not have to keep working around this remap

I had a awesome generic map on my car before I went hybrid and mine made 179bhp but I don't remember the torque, I didn't have a problem with there map. I can't say that there map caused by turbo to pop but it lasted from 46k to 70k with the map getting driven really hard every single day before the turbo gave up, Probly just wear and tear. My clutch and DMF was fine on there map, I only got a SMF for my hybrid

I had a awesome generic map on my car before I went hybrid and mine made 179bhp but I don't remember the torque, I didn't have a problem with there map. I can't say that there map caused by turbo to pop but it lasted from 46k to 70k with the map getting driven really hard every single day before the turbo gave up, Probly just wear and tear. My clutch and DMF was fine on there map, I only got a SMF for my hybrid

When I initially had it done by Awesome it was running at 177bhp and 355lbs torque! It really pinned you to your seat when giving it some stick! However, I had loads of black smoke which I wasn't used to, so they de-tuned it slightly to 171bhp and 325lbs of torque.

I do like the torque and gives me the edge over quite a few cars, but if it's gonna keep wearing stuff out quickly, then I need to consider a sensible option. I also need to make a fairly quick decision as I'm due a replacement clutch/flywheel, so need to sort it out before fitting it.

Guest BigJase88

That torque is a bad map! Must spike like mad low down! Either that or its slipped on the rollers and given a false reading