Need Octavia II FL HVAS CAN Messages

Could some one with the know how on CAN Messages and reading them in their Car be able to share CAN Messages generated by HVAC in their FL version of the Octavia II please? Even a simple scan log of ALL Messages on the Central Convenience/Infotainment CANBUS would do.

Have scanned and exhausted the search on the Internet (including German sites), but to no avail. This is for a Project I'm working on to translate many of the Pre-FL Messages to the FL ones so that my HU can understand them and do the needful, like switching off/on, OPS, Climatronics, etc. without having to upgrade hardware physically.

Good luck

tbh, a lot of the features are down to the SW on the units, the problem is if you try to flash an older item with the newer eeprom you could fry it

+1 on most of the features are down to the SW.

I'm not trying to flash existing EEPROM here, I have my own Adaptor (based on Atmel/PIC) which is connected to the Infotainment Bus, which does the job. This Adaptor acts just like an additional "Node" on the Network and does no harm to the existing functionality/hardware as it only processes Messages that are standard and understood by the Car.

My current upgraded HU is built for the FL version, meaning there are CAN Messages of FL that are understood by this HU, like the ones from the HVAC, which are different from the ones on a pre-FL. I'm only building a virtual bridge here, by firing pre-FL Messages for every set of FL-Messages received so that the HU can understand them and display the settings on the Screen.

As a matter of fact, this new Adaptor is an integral part of my Car now, it currently does the following:

1.) Mute's sound on the HU when Reverse Gear is engaged (helpful to me)

2.) Double Up/Down arrow buttons on MSFW used to change CD's earlier on my Audience 6-CD Changer were redundant after the upgrade are now used to change "Source" (USB->DVD->TV->etc...)

Many more features on the anvil, immediate one would be auto volume level adjustment depending on the Speed of the Car.

But for now, concentrating on making the HU totally compatible with the stock HU; Audience.

• 11 months later...

Hello,

any success with this? I'm also interested in.

I'm searching the net such a long time but nothing so far :(

Guys from Auto-Polar team already done this so it's possible obviously.

OPS case:

we only need to translate messages with 0x54B id to new format.

HVAC case:

we need to sniff old panel canbus activity and translate it to new format. Not sure if it can be done only by interacting with infotainment canbus. Maybe it will require to make connection to comfort canbus as well.

I have a device to sniff both buses - info and comfort.

I completly don't understand the lack of informations about this over the net.

Please, any info about this is useful.

No luck yet, have posted on various sites on the internet including Golf (MK2) forums, but not very helpful.

Thanks for the info on OPS. BTW, OPS is sorted by upgrading my Partktronics (PDC) Adaptor, now, the only missing functionality on my HU is the HVAC. The old format messages on my existing HVAC can easily be extracted by bench-reading them after disconnecting the Adaptor from the car, however, what do I translate to is the question here as the new format of the messages is what is missing here.

FYI, comfort and infotainment buses are the same on a pre-FL and since HVAC settings are supported/displayed on HU in both the FL and the pre-FL, I assume the CANBUS setup is the same in them both.

Hello,

any success with this? I'm also interested in.

I'm searching the net such a long time but nothing so far :(

Guys from Auto-Polar team already done this so it's possible obviously.

BTW, I was partially successful in manipulating the MFD/FIS but gave up after a while as it required a lot more time and effort to complete it. If you are interested in it, messages 0x680, 0x681 and 0x661 may be of help to you:

[00000680]: [0d 50 4c 45 41 53 45 20]   -->   [-- P  L  E  A  S  E     ]
 [00000680]: [1e 57 41 49 54 08      ]   -->   [-- W  A  I  T  --       ]
 [00000680]: [00 4f 74 68 65 72 73 4d]   -->   [-- O  t  h  e  r  s  M  ]
 [00000680]: [11 65 64 69 61 08      ]   -->   [-- e  d  i  a  --       ]
Edited by hell666

Hello hell666.

As i understand good, Polar guys are using a place for telematics unit to create they menu entries and to display various data on FIS. i'm not (yet) familiar with this. I left displaying data on FIS for later.

But please tell me - do you have OPS already working? If so, can you make infotainment bus log while reversing?

I can share my logs and observations if you are interested.

BTW - this is my board (on the right) with Atmel mcu and two CAN controllers. The board fits into OEM bluetooth unit :)

GM,

Another reason I have given up on MFD-FIS is that I have different plans on implementing the same. I'm currently working on developing a stand-alone simple FIS based on a PIC24F uC and 128x64 LCD. The bare-bone hardware and software (firmware) is ready, now only need to create interface like menus and user inputs (using buttons on board). Not getting time to complete it as I have just a few hrs of Sunday every week.

A sample display is attached here, which is just a little test data without any actual link to the car.

pic24fsamplemenustestrun.jpg

Yes, my OPS is fully working and here is the log as requested by you. It contains all messages on the Infotainment/Comfort CANBUS and were recorded while reversing the car: Download

BTW, yours is a FL or a pre-FL?

Hello,

nice board and nice display :)

Thank you very much for your log. I will try to implement OPS emulation in my car (i have PDC only)

My car is pre-FL O2 2008.

I will let you know if i succeed.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello. Ten days passed and nothing. Not even car picture on the screen :(

But i've made some observations.

FACTS:

New system emits following messages:

ID: 0x6DA len: 6 data: 42 93 FF FF FF FF

ID: 0x6DA len: 6 data: 42 92 FF FF FF FF

ID: 0x54B len: 8 data FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF

Old system emits only following messages:

ID: 0x54B len: 8 data: FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF

There is one more important thing. It is necessary to emit frames like that:

ID: 0x497 len:8 data: 00 00 00 00 44 46 00 20

to keep headunit's error memory clean.

If there are no frames like this the headunit detect error:

01327 - Control Module for Parking Aid (J446)
            004 - No Signal/Communication

Hell666 - I'm afraid to ask, but can you make some bigger logs? With and without OPS active? With and without headunit being on?

When switched off does the headunit automatically turns on/off when OPS is active/not active?

What kind of headunit you have? I guess that is not rns510 because of lack of some can ID's. Am i right?

I'm not giving up yet, but it's like obsession - i can't get no sleep!

I know it would be simple to buy new OPS box and connect it like in tutorial, but... i believe there must be a way to emulate this.

Cheers!

Great going Majonez, I'm sure you will crack the code soon!

Here is the LOG you had requested for, I hope it helps. Reverse starts at [20:23:02.536] and ends at [20:23:13.144]. And here is the log for messages without engaging reverse/PDC.

BTW, a little observation I made by comparing the 2 sets of messages: ID's 67a, 6ca, 291 and 5c1 seem to be specific to the PDC, you may want to look into these closely.

FYI, my HU is a Chinese one and not a RNS510 as rightly observed by you. It does automatically come ON when reverse/PDC is engaged.

I can relate to your obsession on making this work and not go the easy way round replacing the PDC, that's the reason I have not replaced my HVAC controller to the newer one which would solve the problem, but want to find an alternate solution instead, especially when I have the hardware ready and already in place.

Please let me know if you still need any other info from me/car, more than glad to help you with your quest.

Good evening! Hell666 - thanks once again. I have a lot of informations to analyze now :)

About ID's that you observed:

291 has something to do with locking and unlocking doors

5C1 is MFSW and FIS stalk. You pressed arrow down while logging probably :)

6CA, 67A - no idea. I have those in my logs, but it appeared only once. 

Finally i have some free time so i can analyze logs.

• 1 month later...

I have an octavia vRS 2008 (preFL) and already done a columbus and bluetooth retrofit, and also a MFSW (the FL one, with three spoke and left buttons for radio with a roll for volume and right buttons for MFD with roll and on button for telephone).

Everything work fine except :

-right buttons on MFSW for controlling MFD 

-PDC and climatronic view on columbus

I can handle the PDC/climatronic problem using a polar FIS but it is nearly 250euros , which is very expansive for the job that would be done.

And for the MFD , the only solution is to change the instrument. I already have a highline (white maxidot) one and i wont pay 100-200 euros only for controlling MFD with my MFSW...

When i saw this thread , i was pleased to see that some persons are interested in doing some DIY adapters for the CAN. And for my problem i think CAN/protocol adapter (using MICROCHIP, ATMEL or whatever) is the solution.

hell666 and majonez, can you tell me what is the state of your researchs on doing that kind of adapter/protocol converter?

My goal is to do such adapter for my own octavia. So if you can give me informations that you have already collected it would be great (in this thread or in PM if it's too long)!

I'm electronic engeneer so i can understand all the technical informations relative to HW or SW and perhaps i can help you.

Hope that your project is still alive ;)

Hi sneon! Nice to see that there are some more people who wants to mess up with canbus:)

First of all try to make CAN sniffer: http://www.fischl.de/usbtin/

Second thing - MFD in my pre FL car is operated by right stalk, not by MFSW.

In my case at least two CAN Id's carries info about MFD stalk buttons:

ID 0x2C1 first nibble of byte 2: (every 100ms)

0x8=released

0x9=down

0xA=up

0xC=enter.

ID 0x5C1 byte 0: (it appears only when button is pressed and released)

0x22 = up

0x23 = down

0x28 = enter

Now about OPS thing. I'm not done this emulation yet. It's not that simple as i thought. I'm waiting for some logs from my friend.

There is some kind of hadshake between headunit and ops unit at id's 0x67A and 0x6DA right after the bus goes up.

Sorry, i have no info about climatronic thing so far :(

It's all about the logs. If we have enough we could do anything :)

hell666 - i'm afraid to ask, but maybe you can make one more log?

As i wrote above it's kind of handshake on 67a and 6da. The trick is to sniff the bus when it is waking up - for example when you unlock the doors with remote.

Cheers!

Thanks.

You are right, first step is the CAN transceiver. I'll look at the fischl one but that will take a little time to do it (realise PCB, order components...).

I have found a lot of guys who have done some CAN bus adapter to do things like open windows with the fob (with a arduino/secuduino), print some messages to the instrument display, receive rpm of the motor and print to a PC.... So I think it's pretty easy to do what I want. More over I have a second car, a golf 6 with new climatronic, OPS so I can take the logs... when I have the CAN transceiver.

For MFD , as long as it works with the blinker command, and I can read the codes from the MFSW, the conversion would be easy.

I'll come back when I'm ready to do it , when I have the CAN transceiver.

Hope to tell you as soons as possible if I've achieve to do it.

• 3 weeks later...

GM!

Sorry for a delayed reply as I was not actually checking this website from long.

Glad to see this thread alive now, welcome sneon!

@sneon, you can make your own adaptor as described in the above link shared by Majonez or you can use something readily available as in here. This is what I used to get started, a very simple and helpful tool indeed. I have improvised it by writing my own C code to log messages of my choice and with many more helpful options to it.

After I was done with the start-up with this tool, I ordered this Microchip Adaptor. This is what is currently in my car as an integrated adaptor. It does many things in it like running and turning ON the upgraded 12-way speaker system Amplifier and keeping it "alive" while the car is running, controls the MFSW controls, etc.

I have also built another CAN Adaptor/FIS with Microchip PIC24F as can be seen in the pic I have pasted above. As of today, it displays a lot of parameters in car like Speed, RPM, Voltage, Temperatures, Doors lock/unlock position, Lights' status, Odometer, VIN, Time, etc. Also, it can do a performance test measuring 0-120 kmph in time with break-up's of 20 kmph per slab. A lot more functionality was in the pipeline when I had to sell my car, so currently it stands where it is today and guess will remain that way. :(

• 7 months later...

After I was done with the start-up with this tool, I ordered this Microchip Adaptor. This is what is currently in my car as an integrated adaptor. It does many things in it like running and turning ON the upgraded 12-way speaker system Amplifier and keeping it "alive" while the car is running, controls the MFSW controls, etc.

Hi hell666,

I'm reviving an old thread here but hope you can help me. I have a 2006 Octavia RS with the "Sound System" option with the amplifier under the seat etc. I bought a Bolero stereo to retrofit into my car a couple of years ago but due to the Bolero not sending the canbus message to turn on the amplifier I am unable to use it. From reading your post above it looks like you were able to install the adaptor and program it to turn the amplifier on. Are you able to share how you did this? Which stereo were you using? Did you also have an issue where the display on your Bolero / Columbus was dim? If so how did you rectify that?

Many thanks!

• 5 years later...

Very late to the party here... but unfortunately the logs in post of 13 December 2013 are not available and I'm really after a trace of a working VAG parking system.

I can offer the following insights...

ID 0x497 is used to send details of reverse being engaged to the head-unit

There is also a series of 0x6DA messages with various info.  These packets are made up as follows:

XX YY dd...

The first two bytes (XX YY) indicate the status and type of the message, followed by up to 6 bytes of data in each CAN packet (dd..).

Taking the first two bytes as a 16-bit value (MSB first) 0xXXYY, it can be broken down:

Bits 15-12: Flags

Bit 14 set = single packet format (less than 6 bytes payload)

Other bits are flags for multiple packets - I haven't quite worked out their format yet (see function 0x03 which requires an 8 byte payload)

Bits 11-6: Source

In the firmware I am looking at Source IDs 0x2F, 0x0A and 0x0B seem to be present

ID 0x0A is from the OPS, and always expected on CANID 0x497

ID 0x0B seems to be related to a system with rear camera, but presents via a different CANID

ID 0x2F no idea at present, also a different CANID

Bits 5-0: Function

There are multiple functions: 0x01, 0x02, 0x03, 0x04, 0x05, 0x0E, 0x0F, 0x10, 0x11, 0x12, 0x13, etc.  About 13 or 14 in total

Packets are of various different lengths and presumably contains different data relating to the system

Most are validated by the headunit on reception, so I have an idea of the range of values each should contain, butt currently am only guessing at their purpose

Function 0x03 is expected to deliver 8 bytes of data, which would require at least 1 other CAN packet, but I haven't worked out quite how that should be sent yet.

I presume the other flags in bits 15-12 come into play here.

So taking your identified 4292/4293 FF FF FF FF packets and decoding:

Flags: 0100 (Bit 14 set = single packet format)

Source: 0x0A = OPS

Function: 0x12 / 0x13 (I think 4 bytes of radar proximity data maybe? Perhaps 1 front and 1 rear?)

Data: 4 bytes FF FF FF FF

Unfortunately it's hard for me to make any more progress investigating the firmware without having any traces, and I don't currently have a car with a parking system to do any traces myself.  I looked on Google cache and Archive.org, but no sign of the old traces originally uploaded to datafilehost.com

Can anyone here help?