56 Plate Fabia VRS Glow Plug Relay Issue VCDS 18027

slickmk1

Hi all,

help, help, help! This is really causing me to scratch my head. Ok so had this fault for some time now and really want to get it fixed before it starts to get really cold.

It all started when i noticed that the glow plug symbol on the dash only stays on for a couple of seconds. When i connected vag com it gave me the 18027 J52 Glow plug relay open or short to ground intermittent fault.

My car has the glow plug relay that screws to the battery cover. So, i bought a new one. Made no difference at all.

I have since checked the main glow plug relay 50a fuse on top of the battery, done a continuity test from the relay plug to:-

Each one of the 4 plug ends of the glow plug rail - all ok

12v power cable at the battery / fuse end - ok

earth in the relay plug to ground - ok

That leaves 3 additional very thin guage wires i have not been able to check as i dont know what they go to.

Every time i clear the fault it just comes right back.

Please can anyone shed some light on this its doing my head in.

Thanks,

Mark

I've noticed that my glow plug symbol only very briefly illuminates, even when starting the engine in a sub-zero temperature this Saturday. Have no code reader to check, but it starts fine... do you have problems starting then?

I've noticed that my glow plug symbol only very briefly illuminates, even when starting the engine in a sub-zero temperature this Saturday. Have no code reader to check, but it starts fine... do you have problems starting then?

Could be a faulty coolant temp sensor.

• 1 year later...