TSI1.2 DSG PROBLEMS

jimduffus

I notice that in todays Telegraph that in the Honest John section there was a reference to a problem with the TSI1.2/DG combination and that an engine modification ie a spacer shim in the turbo, could effect improvement.

Can anyone explain more about this problem and the modification..

• 5 weeks later...

Had a problem when pulling out to pass traffic when inspite of applying normal accelerator pressure to overtake (no boy racer) the car just hung without accelerating for a few seconds causing following traffic to get irritated and blast their horns...finally kicked in and potential safety/crash issue avoided.

Dealer a bit unmoved said it was "a known turbo issue" they would have fixed at the next service...

5K MILES IN THE FUTURE. Not impressed. Also did a software update. I assume it would be a failed turbo in the end if not fixed.

Turbo shimming has nothing to do with dsg gearbox. It's all about wastegate's actuator that in many 1.2Tsi cars suddenly stuck open causing power loss followed by warning lights in dash. This shimming was / is done in combination with ECU update.

For dsg hesitation problems there is (at least in Greece) a dsg software update.

I had the software update on the DSG, probably well over a year ago when I had my Fab. It made things significantly better. Also had the turbo shim and ECU done with no noticeable difference to normal driving. Using super/v-power/momentum fuel makes a significant difference to driving the 1.2 TSI 105 with the DSG. It costs more but gives a smoother drive with less lag and marginally better economy.