15 replies to this topic

#1 lammar

lammar

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 09:01

Hi,

I was driving my car yesterday and my rear wiper stopped working. It stopped suddenly in the middle of the rear window. I had to turn off the ignition and move it manually to its initial position. It doesn't rotate but the washer fluid still goes through.

Can anyone have had similar problem? Is it the motor or something else?

Thanks,
Marcin

#2 mikeholroyd

mikeholroyd

Two Octavias....and always in the doghouse

• FREEDOM
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,687 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 09:57

Classic symptoms of wiper motor failure. Very common problem on the octavia. The washer fluid still sprays as the washer pipe connects to a hollow tube which goes through the wiper spindle.

Mike

#3 andyvee

andyvee

Code 40 - In Grimsby waiting for a lift!

• FREEDOM
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,669 posts
  • Car:2013 Octavia III Elegance Hatch 2.0 TDI DSG and Octavia III L&K Estate on order.....................

Posted 09 December 2012 - 10:57

When mine stopped working it was a relay, but it controlled the front washers as well from memory. The relay was on the CECM behind the dash next to the fuse box.

#4 Simon TDI Sport

Simon TDI Sport

Derv Jockey

• FREEDOM
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 654 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 15:39

Yep. Had to replace mine when the rear wiper stopped working.

#5 Plantman

Plantman

Finder of faults

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 313 posts
  • Car:Octavia II TDi Estate PD140 L&K with Bluefin

Posted 19 December 2012 - 13:01

I ended up resolving this one by opening the motor up and packing it with more grease. Been working ever since.
  • john.errington likes this

#6 Howardian1

Howardian1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 49 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 19:48

I've had this on and off for about 3 years. Stops for a while and then works fine again for months.

It only ever occurs when it's cold and really wet, so inevitably it's stopped now!

On my old Subaru Forester it was down to muck getting into the housing around the wiper spindle and in essence forming a thick paste. In the end I took the wiper motor out and cut the housing off (as it was surplus to operational requirements) - that was a Subaru Dealer's tip.

Working on the same principle, and having just read in the manual that there's a rubber grommet on the rear screen through which the wiper spindle passes, I reckon that my problem is a combination of dirt, wet weather and cold. The grommet gets full of muck, and maybe becomes less flexible with the wet/cold? Friction increases and hence the wiper stops working until those conditions pass. A good clean followed by loads of Copaslip I reckon, although I'm in no rush to take the wiper motor out in this weather!

#7 martinocti

martinocti

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
  • Car:octava 2l diesel

Posted 09 January 2013 - 14:09

Any joy? Mine has just packed in too... A**sE!

#8 _Kenny_

_Kenny_

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 00:22

My rear wiper stopped working tonight too!

#9 Golf-Fiend

Golf-Fiend

Briskodian

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 737 posts
  • Car:Octavia Elegance 2.0 TDi

Posted 30 January 2013 - 13:08

Mine too! It's a plague I tell you. We are all DOOOOOOMED!!!

#10 _Kenny_

_Kenny_

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 01:01

Mines was working the next morning. I love self healing cars!!

#11 john.errington

john.errington

Chartered Physicist

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 18:08

A WINTER plague?
The rain, snow, salt, washer fluid etc all gets into the spindle and it seizes. It can blow the fuse.
I have fixed this by stripping and cleaning.
For starters try removing the arm and spraying WD40 or similar down the shaft. Put the arm back on and try to jiggle it to get the oil down the shaft.
Check the fuse and give it a try.
Failing that before you get a new one, take it off and try to clean & lube it on the bench.

#12 Welsh_kai_boy

Welsh_kai_boy

Briskodian

• Moderators
  • 1,232 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 18:29

Well my 5K miles Blackline appears to have become a victim of this rear wipe plague, been operating by it's self since we had lot of rain last few days and now has died.

#13 walrus2106

walrus2106

Briskodian

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts
  • Car:Skoda Octavia Greenline Estate

Posted 14 February 2013 - 18:43

My Greenline Estate has also become a victim of this, I only took delivery on 06/12/12, apparently there are a lot of failures happening atm, new motors are on backorder and no-one know when this will be rectified.

#14 Grizzle

Grizzle

P**s taker :)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,180 posts
  • Car:Korean ran on the bones of old korean dogs.

Posted 14 February 2013 - 18:51

Utter scandalous this wiper motor carry on.

#15 ednmra

ednmra

Briskodian

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,333 posts
  • Car:2014 Octavia 1.4 TSi SE hatch manual

Posted 14 February 2013 - 18:55

I've had this on and off for about 3 years. Stops for a while and then works fine again for months.

It only ever occurs when it's cold and really wet, so inevitably it's stopped now!

On my old Subaru Forester it was down to muck getting into the housing around the wiper spindle and in essence forming a thick paste. In the end I took the wiper motor out and cut the housing off (as it was surplus to operational requirements) - that was a Subaru Dealer's tip.

Working on the same principle, and having just read in the manual that there's a rubber grommet on the rear screen through which the wiper spindle passes, I reckon that my problem is a combination of dirt, wet weather and cold. The grommet gets full of muck, and maybe becomes less flexible with the wet/cold? Friction increases and hence the wiper stops working until those conditions pass. A good clean followed by loads of Copaslip I reckon, although I'm in no rush to take the wiper motor out in this weather!

That's exactly what I want to do!!
Mine stopped in the 12 o'clock position but now works ok but sometimes looks to be going more slowly than usual.
See my thread nearby called Rear Wiper Motor Cover. How do get at the little b*gger !!?

(So far I've put a little WD40 around the spindle)

Edited by ednmra, 14 February 2013 - 18:57.

#16 Welsh_kai_boy

Welsh_kai_boy

Briskodian

• Moderators
  • 1,232 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 21:22

Need to check fuse 41 in the morning to make sure I don't look like a numpty at the dealers.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: rear wiper