Battery upgrade

Checked with VW and Seat parts centre:

VW Golf 170 CR GT has a Varta 72 aH battery fitted as standard

Seat Leon FR 170 CR has a Varta 72 aH battery fitted as standard

So why does the Skoda Octavia vRS 170 CR have a 61aH battery fitted a standard?

Contacted Skoda CS and complained about this and they said they will contact me back after speaking to their technical department

Watch this Space!

I think the battery on mine is a Varta which have a good reputation, but not as good as Bosch as far as I know. The two engines are very similar as well, the biggest difference being a bigger turbo on the 170 (again as far as I know) so they should not need any more power to start, because what you do usually get with a larger AH capacity is increased "cold cranking amps", capable of dealing with increased compression ratio and cold oil (and cold battery as well). As I see it the main reason why a diesel usually has a bigger battery than a petrol engine is the increased compression ratio and to cope with the drain of the glowplugs as someone explained on the other topic.

The 61AH battery is a cost cutting exercise too far, no doubt about it - and it must be leading to hundreds of cases like Chris's that we don't know about. More reason for someone to take some action I think. I wonder if any VW diesels have such a small battery - the standard one on my Passat 1.9 PD was 72 (over 8 years ago) and when I replaced it I got something over 80. I don't think Skoda would stand a chance in court if someone like Chris made a case for the car being unfit for the purpose for which it was sold,

Something just sprung to mind as well - is the same spec sold in countries like Norway and Canada where temps get much lower than UK?

Peter

Bosch and Varta are the same battery , they have different branding thats all , the internals are identical

The stock OEM battery on our Octavia and the Superb were not either they were unbranded, the case was certainly not a quality one .

Richf - thanks for the info, I learn something every day! I have not fitted my new battery yet because I'm waiting to get the new jacket. I've had a better look at the battery tray and I think it will be OK. I suppose I could modify the existing jacket, but there would be gaps and assuming that the jacket is for thermal insulation it could lead to differences in cell temperatures. Maybe that doesn't matter, though. I will update the topic when I've completed.

• 2 weeks later...

The new battery (Bosch S5 77AH 096, 278 long 175 wide 190 high) is in service. The change was quite straight forward, just the one bolt to undo with a long socket drive. The terminal nuts are angled upwards to make it easier to screw. The new battery fitted easily on the existing tray. but the cover for the old 61AH battery, that's about 240 long would not fit the new one, so I have ordered the new part from the dealer. Well at least I think I have, since there is some doubt about the sizes of the two parts that are listed for my car, so I've ordered the one that costs most. If all goes well I will post the part number here.

There was a small flash as I connected the last (positive) terminal to the battery. Switching on the ignition brought up a lot of lights but they went out one by one and after starting the engine the last one went out before I got out of the drive to go a small distance as recommended earlier. The number 2 register on the obc had reset itself and I needed to reset the clock - otherwise no other problem precisely as predicted by my appreciated helpers' posts - THANKS!

I had to cut slots in the terminal covers that came with the battery to accommodate the terminal connectors, but unfortunately, the terminal nuts that were angled upwards stopped the covers from reaching the correct position. I have left them secured with tape until the awaited cover arrives, which should adequately hold them in position.

I have posted this in the hope of benefitting anyone intending this upgrade from what IMO is a drastically inadequate size of battery to avoid the problems that more than one member have had.

• Like 1

Regarding the cover: I've had a look at ETKA, and found that almost all Superbs have the same battery cover. This cover has number 3C0 915 443 A, and costs € 9.51.

The only exceptions are a special petrol version for India, and a special petrol version which is only EU4 compliant, so it doesn't seem likely that you have a different version.

What number have you ordered and what number do you have at this moment? (There usually is some kind of engravement somewhere in the part.)

But ETKA also states that I should have a 72 Ah battery (in a 1.8 TSI), which seems odd when a diesel only has a 61 Ah battery...

If it doesn't rain tomorrow I'll have a look under my bonnet.

Regarding the cover: I've had a look at ETKA, and found that almost all Superbs have the same battery cover. This cover has number 3C0 915 443 A, and costs € 9.51.

The only exceptions are a special petrol version for India, and a special petrol version which is only EU4 compliant, so it doesn't seem likely that you have a different version.

What number have you ordered and what number do you have at this moment? (There usually is some kind of engravement somewhere in the part.)

But ETKA also states that I should have a 72 Ah battery (in a 1.8 TSI), which seems odd when a diesel only has a 61 Ah battery...

If it doesn't rain tomorrow I'll have a look under my bonnet.

I don't know what number I've ordered nor what number is the original. I left it with the guy (in the absense of the usual lady!) in the parts dept to order the larger of the two he said was suitable for my car. I will know the number when I collect the item.

I still have the original battery from my 1.9 pd diesel Passat that is 72 Ah and I upgraded to something around 85 Ah. I agree that it's very odd to put such a small battery in any diesel. http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/258992-is-the-octy-vrs-cr-170-diesel-battery-not-up-to-the-job/

I'll post the part number when I've laid my hands on the correct bit!

• Like 1

Oh yes, one thing I forgot to mention - the Columbus wanted a code when I switched it on. I have the code so it wasn't a problem. Whether it will be the same for every car, I don't know because my Columbus is an upgrade that came with the code. I was told on another topic that the car electronics remembered up to 3 codes for 3 different units so you could interchange them without re-entering codes.

Chances are for anyone with a head unit fitted when the car was new, or I suppose a dealer upgrade a code won't be needed. If it is such a unit and it did ask for a code then I would be straight down to the dealer to tell them to get one - for free!

Today I checked the battery of my MY2012 1.8 TSI and found that ETKA was right. The battery is a Banner with the following specifications:

• 5K0 915 105 F
  • 12V 70 Ah
  • 340 A according to DIN
  • 570 A according to EN/SAE

Also this battery is exactly the maximum size that fits inside the battery bay. Anything larger will not fit. And the battery cover has the number that I mentioned in my previous posting: 3C0 915 443 A. (This number is engraved on the inside of the cover).

@Skodapeter: What number is on the inside of your cover?

OK andrehj,

The original battery:

12V 61 Ah

5KO 915 105E

330A DIN

540A EN/SAE/GS

The cover:

1KO 915 411 A

also >PET< on the opposite flap.tr

The new battery is 278 long 175 wide and 190 high and, having fitted it it in the tray, I would say that it is the maximum size that would fit.

Your information would have helped when I ordered the new cover. I will now wait to see what I get from the dealer's parts dept. Thanks for your help.

• 5 weeks later...

Sorry I've taken so long to post this - I've had the dreaded coughing virus since new year and the new battery cover has been in the hall waiting for me to fit it. The new cover I confirm will fit the new battery (dimensions above) and the part number is 1K0915411B and cost £20.36 (the old one has an A at the end instead of a B ). It is probably possible to fit it without disconnecting the battery, but it would be fiddly, so when I can motivate myself I will disconnect the battery to do it.

Thanks again to everyone who's helped.

• Like 1

UKCrusier,

Im looking at upgrading my battery too as its sometimes slugish to start.

Spotted this one in halfords in Ireland.

Its a little bit taller than the one you mentioned and Im wondering should it fit..

I dont want to be ordering extra parts, would prefer a higher capacity battery that fits right in.

Bosch Battery (S5 Battery 100 (74Ah)

278mm x 175mm x 175mm (LxDxH):

Bosch 12V Silver Car Battery HSB096 (77Ah)

278mm x 175mm x 190mm (LxDxH):

Thanks D

Not sounding out of place here, but WHY buy a bigger (physical size) battery?

How about returning it, and buying one of these

It's 74 AH Bosch, has a 5 year warranty, lives in the same place as the old one, and is the same physical size so can fit the same jacket.

I know, as it's what I put onto mine.

And with the BriSkoda discount, is around £75 from EuroCarParts.

Al.

dfsuperb - the one I fitted is exactly the one in your link and it fits perfectly, except I thought I'd better get a new cover as the new battery was the same height as the original, but longer. My new battery came from cpw-group on ebay and cost £82.49 and free postage. Didn't notice whether they shipped to Ireland.

What are the dimensions of the original. I dont want to go messing with covers etc.

Has anyone got a replacement battery (with more power and a top name of course) the fits right in with the same size...

dfsuperb - the one I fitted is exactly the one in your link and it fits perfectly, except I thought I'd better get a new cover as the new battery was the same height as the original, but longer. My new battery came from cpw-group on ebay and cost £82.49 and free postage. Didn't notice whether they shipped to Ireland.

Ukcruiser covered this in the above. The Bosch S5 are good batteries, with 5 year guarantee and good cold cranking. You would need the "100" version, which is the one that comes up on eurocarparts for the car. The "096" version is the same length, width and mounting plate but is too tall to fit in the battery cover. 25% discount and 5% cash back through quidco at ECP as well as free delivery.

The original battery in my car was 61Ah, 190 high, 175 wide, 240 long. I found I could not get a larger Ah capacity battery without it being longer. The one I got is just 275 long and the same height and width and 77Ah. There is a Bosch 74 Ah that is the same length and width but only 175 high (recommended by ukcruiser in a previous post). If you have the same original battery as I, you will have to have a longer battery to increase the Ah capacity.

I was told by the main dealer (and I always believe everything they tell me - see my other posts) that it was just for mechanical protection. I could have fitted the smaller jacket to the new battery, but there would have been gaps that you may be able to fill in / put up with. I believe the jacket is there as thermal insulation to keep the battery less cold in winter and keep it for longer at its most efficient temperature, but my car has been starting perfectly well since I put the new battery on and I haven't fitted the new cover yet.

The only reason I purchased the correct new battery cover was that my car is still under warranty and I didn't want the dealer to accuse me of duff DIY jobs. If you have no such worries I recommend you install a battery like mine and forget the cover (the new Bosch battery comes with very good terminal covers) - the seller I suggested does ship to Ireland.

Hope this helps.

Ukcruiser covered this in the above. The Bosch S5 are good batteries, with 5 year guarantee and good cold cranking. You would need the "100" version, which is the one that comes up on eurocarparts for the car. The "096" version is the same length, width and mounting plate but is too tall to fit in the battery cover. 25% discount and 5% cash back through quidco at ECP as well as free delivery.

JakeBlade - if the cover fits a 100 battery, it will fit the 096 except for a slight gap of 15mm at the bottom. If I am correct in my thought that the cover is for thermal insulation, the gap will not matter. So you may as well get the highest capacity battery possible - the Bosch S5 77Ah 096.

Won't it be 30mm shorter (15mm up one side, 15mm down the other)? That's quite a lot on a jacket that isn't great in the first place.

I think the cover is there to stop the terminals shorting out from foreign objects accidentally being left on the battery during maintenance, rather than to keep it warm?

Won't it be 30mm shorter (15mm up one side, 15mm down the other)? That's quite a lot on a jacket that isn't great in the first place.

I think the cover is there to stop the terminals shorting out from foreign objects accidentally being left on the battery during maintenance, rather than to keep it warm?

Both old and new battery covers for my car are made from a stiff fibre material with padding that covers the sides and top of the battery. It can't possibly be just to prevent shorting of the terminals (the covers on the Bosch batteries mentioned above do that). If the terminal covers were not so good I would have fitted the new cover by now.

What I suggested was that the cover from a 100 size battery which is the same dimensions as a 096 battery except for the height, would still fit the 096 but would have a gap of 15 mm all the way round the 4 sides at the bottom. The two covers I have do not have a bottom panel. I was trying to help dfsuperb, but he hasn't told us what physical size his existing battery is.

I still think the best option is to get the Bosch 096 S5 battery and buy a new cover the part number of which I have quoted.

I'd be happy if someone who knows definitely what the cover is for would let me know. I know that 3rd party covers are available that are intended as thermal insulation.