Battery upgrade

Sorry to revive such an old thread. I will have a spare "110" size battery coming to me as a replacement for an early failure, and just wondered if it would fit in the battery bay of the big Sko'.

I think the answer is "no, it'll be about an inch too long".

Anyway, dimensions are:

Length: 315 mm

Width: 175 mm

Height inc. terminals: 175 mm

I'm not that bothered about the fabric battery cosy fitting over it - I can just make one.

I don't have the Superb with me at the moment - so unable to check myself.

Anyone replaced the battery recently for a different size?

Edited by JakeBlade

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry to revive such an old thread. I will have a spare "110" size battery coming to me as a replacement for an early failure, and just wondered if it would fit in the battery bay of the big Sko'.

I think the answer is "no, it'll be about an inch too long".

You thought right.

• 3 weeks later...

For Info if its help to anyone.

2009 Skoda Superb Elegance CR170 diesel.

Just changed the battery from a Banner B2 VW Part No 000 915 105 DG

Bought the same  E44 Varta Silver Battery from Tyna Batteries who were as normal excellent to deal with. Arrived two working days later delivered fior £67.96 inc VAT and delivery. Dealer price was £120 for the part only not fitted.

Both the original and new batteries were the same physical size at 278mm x 175mm x 190mm (L, W, H).

The Original Banner VW part fitted was 72 AH the Varta is 77AH and is also markedly higher Cold Cranking Amps at 780 vs the std batteries 640 I think.  (CCA - measure of the batteries ability to give high ampages for short periods, this is whats required to start a car, Leisure batteries for example are designed for deep discharge but low ampages so not suitable for vehicle starting just like car batteries are not suited for caravan use).

Battery terminals are 10mm (socket or spanner, nicely angled up nuts so easy to loosen with a socket. I removed them and reconnected them with a socket on a long extension using hand force not a rachet drive, if you do need a ratchet drive remember these do not want to be over tight, JUST nipped tight is adequate. Remember disconnect the negative first and reconnect last to avoid risk of arcing if you do touch the car when slackening the +ve terminal eg with a spanner. The -ve wont arc as this is connected to the car body already, and with the negative already connected the +ve wont arc if shorted to the body of the vehicle by a tool.

Hold down bolt on the side of in my case plastic battery box is a 13mm bolt requiring the aforementioned long socket extension.

I note the plastic battery case sides come in two parts half at the back and half toward the front and these just slot together. I guess that cars with the smaller physical 62 AH battery will need the forward half of the box only replaced to accommodate the larger replacement (if desired),

The usual plethora of warning lights on turning the ignition on all of which went except ESP and power steering which took 100 m before they went out too.

Windows worked perfectly without reset as did the Sat/Nav / radio. NB factory fit stereo's have the radio code coded into the car and so on bettery reconnection the car supplies the radio code to enable this to work. Only cars that have had replacement radio/satnav units should require a code entered manually. If you have one of these and don't have the code look up changing your battery without losing power (article on Tayna Batteries website).

Took 10 mins tops to do the work wish I could earn the £60 / 10 mins I saved by doing this myself! £360/hour that would be nice!

Good luck.

Edited by LS8Pilot
  • Like 1

Hi guys!
I have mounted a Sønnak (EXIDE) powerline SA770 77Ah - 760    battery on my Skoda superb 2010 CR170 estate. And i am having problems to keep the battery topped.

Is there anyone in this forum, with the same car that could check with their vcds if they got the "61-Battery Regulation module" connected?

Because my 2010 do not seems to have this option.

I thought iv'e had to code this new battery so the car know the size of it? 

Regards

I never coded mine , just fitted it , surely the alternators electrics will keep the battery topped up what ever the size

Great thread & gave me the answer I need - just changed my battery today & the cardboard/plastic cover doesn't fit. I'm off to order 1K0915411B at the weekend (can't find it online). Thanks all, especially skodapeter!

Cheers

Phil

Hi guys!

I have mounted a Sønnak (EXIDE) powerline SA770 77Ah - 760    battery on my Skoda superb 2010 CR170 estate. And i am having problems to keep the battery topped.

Is there anyone in this forum, with the same car that could check with their vcds if they got the "61-Battery Regulation module" connected?

Because my 2010 do not seems to have this option.

I thought iv'e had to code this new battery so the car know the size of it? 

Regards

I think that's only for cars with energy recuperation*

* I think Skoda's don't have this yet, it's still trickling down from VW.  It basically adjusts the field coil on the alternator when decelerating to provide more engine braking and charge the battery.  That way when idling or accelerating the alternator can do less work, thereby minutely reducing pollution.

I've just bought a 096 battery, but it's not fitted yet, the battery box looks as if it will fit, the new battery is only a few mm longer than the original.

Can someone tell me what this flimsy battery cover actually does?

Can someone tell me what this flimsy battery cover actually does?

It's an insulation part, it helps stop the cold getting to the battery and retains the warmth of the last run, plus it's easy to in/out/replace as well, hth,

The fella who had a Banner battery, I had one myself, when we put it through some tests it barely made it into the ok bracket and it felt cheap and flimsey in it's build to me also, I buy Bosch S series ones now as you get a good warranty and the who thing feels better made.

Edited by Supurbia

It's an insulation part, it helps stop the cold getting to the battery and retains the warmth of the last run, plus it's easy to in/out/replace as well, hth,

The fella who had a Banner battery, I had one myself, when we put it through some tests it barely made it into the ok bracket and it felt cheap and flimsey in it's build to me also, I buy Bosch S series ones now as you get a good warranty and the who thing feels better made.

Oh right. Well, mine is deffo in the way out at just over three years old, and now struggles to turn-over in the cold, so I'll be looking for a direct, but more powerful replacement shortly I think. The E44 Varta Silver LS8Pilot mentions above looks good value, but I'll check-out the price for the Bosch equivalent too....

Oh right. Well, mine is deffo in the way out at just over three years old, and now struggles to turn-over in the cold, so I'll be looking for a direct, but more powerful replacement shortly I think. The E44 Varta Silver LS8Pilot mentions above looks good value, but I'll check-out the price for the Bosch equivalent too....

My experiences of a VAG and a VX battery is this bud

Sup 1 = 4.5 yrs 80k

Passat B6 = 3.5 yrs 53k

Insignia = 2.5 yrs 40k but this one I'm not sure its actually dead, it went dead on a rank on me and it happened twice, what I had forgot at the time is the car requires me to switch the headlights manually off if I'm sitting with the keys in the ign, I also have a 4 bulb light running on the roof and it was very quiet at the time where I did 6 starts moving up the rank each time and only went 2 miles before the cycle started again, I've still got it and it appears to hold a charge off the car,

Anyway VAG in the manual recommend new batteries at 4 years so it looks like the life cycle of an average one is 5 years and the best Bosch ones are only covered for the 5 years so that to me says it all.

• Like 1

My experiences of a VAG and a VX battery is this bud

Sup 1 = 4.5 yrs 80k

Passat B6 = 3.5 yrs 53k

Insignia = 2.5 yrs 40k but this one I'm not sure its actually dead, it went dead on a rank on me and it happened twice, what I had forgot at the time is the car requires me to switch the headlights manually off if I'm sitting with the keys in the ign, I also have a 4 bulb light running on the roof and it was very quiet at the time where I did 6 starts moving up the rank each time and only went 2 miles before the cycle started again, I've still got it and it appears to hold a charge off the car,

Anyway VAG in the manual recommend new batteries at 4 years so it looks like the life cycle of an average one is 5 years and the best Bosch ones are only covered for the 5 years so that to me says it all.

Interesting and Cheers Supurbia. Bloody annoying when I got 10 years great service from the battery on our MK1, and when it was replaced, the RAC managed not to fix the scuttle panel back correctly which flooded the car with water....ping went the convenience unit.... but that's a different story though...!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Bit off topic maybe but kicked the tyres of a 3.0 TDI quattro Audi A6 estate the other day. Accidentally found the battery when I lifted the boot floor up to look for a spare wheel. The battery was HUGE. Was beginning to think the car was rear engined but no it was definitely the battery! I think it was 110AH rated, no skimping here. I suppose it's things like this that you don't see that add to the difference in list price between the two cars. Still like my Superb though!

My wifes Superb (2011 140HP DSG) has started to feel tired lately and I've had to charge the battery a few times because it wouldnt start so I found this thread and thought: Perfect, this must be the best solution for me as well to change the battery to a bigger one.

Was absolutely sure I had the 61Ah til I opened the bonnet. It's 72Ah.

Would you still recommend me to change to a "bigger/stronger" one ?

This is the one I have today.

battery.jpg

The measures are: 278mm long x 190mm high x 145mm wide

Edited by kalnak

Was absolutely sure I had the 61Ah til I opened the bonnet. It's 72Ah.

Would you still recommend me to change to a "bigger/stronger" one ?

You can't get any bigger, since a physically bigger battery won't fit. The Varta Silver Dynamic version of this size is 74 Ah, which is about the max you'll find in this size.

Get a Bosch S4 or S5 if you want a good reliable battery, the S denomination is the warranty period btw, whether the S5 is any better than the S3 is debateable but the higher the number the more time you get to claim a replacement if it fails.

Get a Bosch S4 or S5 if you want a good reliable battery,

Or the Varta mentioned above as its exactly the same battery, produced on the same production line but usually £10-15 cheaper. :)

• Like 1

My Superb is just 3 years and 3 months old and so the battery become unreliable and sure to let me down so I've just replaced it with the Varta E44 at £67.96 including next day delivery from Tanya Batteries. The cheapest Bosch S5 (apparently identical) was £80.99 without delivery so I reckon that's a bargain.

I've just installed it and it turns over like a kick from a mule!