Hi all im Tom. Im 18 and my first car is a 2004 Skoda Superb 1.9 tdi 100 classic. I was given it by my dad who i believe owned from next to new. after 8 years of being used as a taxi by my dad he decided he was gonna buy a newer car but the dealers said the skoda had no value due to its high millage (280,000 miles) so he decided to pass it down to me as he passed his previous car down to my brother when he purchased the skoda.

When it was given to me it still had the taxi roof sign, taxi meter all the taxi logos/graphics/signs all over it and it also had a ghastly radio antena mounted on the roof. so as soon as i got my hands on the car they were swiftly stripped off along with the no smoking signs that were printed all over. and within a matter of 2 days i had de-taxi'd it and turned into a reqular car once more. i then spent a whole summers day cleaning it inside and out to try and polish it up to an original finish.

This is how it turned out.

post-86897-0-15889300-1356837449_thumb.jpg

post-86897-0-70866900-1356837462_thumb.jpg

post-86897-0-45622100-1356837475_thumb.jpg

Edited by TomTom94
  • Like 1

I then began purchasing the small things that i felt helped make it a younger persons car. Starting with stickers:

post-86897-0-82197300-1356838471_thumb.jpg

post-86897-0-34950900-1356838483_thumb.jpg

Then moving onto even smaller things such as a sticker bomb tax disc holder and a vanilla magic tree (for some reason, my dad stopped using air freshners in the car a few years back) as the car still had that "taxi" smell.

I then moved my sights for going LED crazy. i started early on with the number plate lights:

post-86897-0-54890100-1356838596_thumb.jpg

And then the reversing bulbs:

post-86897-0-29502500-1356838793_thumb.jpg

post-86897-0-77956000-1356838955_thumb.jpg

post-86897-0-94316700-1356839122_thumb.jpg

And then more recently i have upgraded all the 12 interior bulbs to LED along with installing 4 led strip lights into the footwells to produce brighter ambience lighting when the doors open. I also got LED's my side lights and indicator bulbs but i decided the indicator bulbs didnt make a big enough difference for me to bother sourcing resistors so i gave them away and refitted th originals.

Footwell lighting:

post-86897-0-91279000-1356838972_thumb.jpg

post-86897-0-96250000-1356839075_thumb.jpg

Red LED visor lights:

post-86897-0-24047400-1356838984_thumb.jpg

Not long after fitting the LED reversing lights i ordered a set of LED Daytime running lights for my dad as he really wanted a set for his passat but upon recieving them we couldnt find a easy enough route from the bumper all the way through the vast plastic depths of his engine and into the fuse box as he wanted so in the end he gave them to me so in a flash i had the lower grills out and was fitting the LED strips into the back of them. by that night i had the lights fitted and wired into the dash and soldered into a custom switch i had laying around which i mounted into one of the blanks i had on the dash.

post-86897-0-33688700-1356839397_thumb.jpg

soon after this a decided to put some subs in the boot as i am inclined to do so being a teenager of today and having such a taste in music :p so i put two 12" orion (West coast customs) subs in a custom fabricated ported dual box i had spare and paired it with a 300watt amp i was given last year.

post-86897-0-61993400-1356839844_thumb.jpg

then i decided it was time to upgrade the headlight bulbs to match the LED DRLs i had fitted so i went onto the bay and got a set of 6000k bulbs for around £20 posted and couldnt resist a bargain so got them ordered and fitted them the day they arrived. but i realised the headlamps were filthy on the inside and suffered from water build up from condensation so i took the drivers one out and cleaned the lens before heating dry and re-mounting. i never got round to cleaning the passenger side and it still suffers from mild water build up. but i got the bulbs fitted alright:

post-86897-0-36169400-1356839870_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

As time went on i soon found a lovely set of wheels going for a bargain price and local.

Four 18" O.Z Racing Superturismo alloy wheels 5x112 with 3 good Tyres, Pirelli P zero Rosso all round 225/40/18

post-86897-0-20574100-1356840146_thumb.jpg

I didnt need to think twice i went to collect them the same day i saw the ad and as soon as i saw them i noticed the average kerb damaged which i expected for the price and the fourth "damaged" tyre was unusable as it was over-inflated which caused odd wear.

I fitted the wheels using 5mm spacers either side on the front:

post-86897-0-55990000-1356840323_thumb.jpg

Edited by TomTom94

I then fitted spacers on the rear. 5mm either side which braught the wheels out from the arches giving a better stance

404709_4572213099138_361518154_n_zps143f1b64.jpg

579071_4572216019211_1930979786_n_zps75344e1b.jpg

i also managed to capture a nice sunrise with the car one early morning:

185440_4269984743618_24430638_n_zpsb1d69052.jpg

i then got some gloss black vinyl to sample as i want the roof wrapped in gloss black to give a nice contrast colour and also to cover the damage left behind from the mag-mounts used on the taxi sign and the old antena.

i used the samples of vinyl to wrap the chrome headlight washers (which i dont actually have) and i also covered my fuel filler cover which was just an impulse which stuck.. i am hoping to get a sticker of the white centre from an 8-ball to stick on it just to liven things up back there.

532273_4169711156841_1961524859_n_zps09be982f.jpg

i will hopefully have the headlight lenses tinted in light smoke soon to help dull down the chrome and give it a similar look to the new VRs fabia lights which i think look fantastic. With that i will possible get the chrome grill surround wrapped in gloss black aswell to match the roof.

Fuel cap:

564714_4169713156891_1890140753_n_zpsf8e17ec8.jpg

Heres a edit i did of an earlier picture to see what it would look like with the black contrast. and i like it but the tint on the headlights were too dark so i decided the light smoke that is so subtle it hardly looks tinted would suit it more as it just takes the sharp edge off the chrome.

blackgrillandlightstinted_zps3f7fbce1.jpg

Thanks for the comments guys :) I will continue with the updates when I get home :) I do jabe plans to lower it.. Not sure how I'm gonna go about doing it yet possibly coilovers when the funds become available to me :)

The interior on the car had seen its day as years of having my dad sat in it for hours on end every day the drivers seat was knackered so i looked at getting a new drivers seat and a replacement door card for the drivers door as the fabric began to peel away and the plastic was all cracked and broken.

A friend of mine who used to have a b5.5 passat was selling his left over parts so i went over to oxford to see him and ended up leaving with a full set of passat half leather seats, four passat door cards in fairly good condition (rear ones are in my shed as they dont fit superbs) and he even threw in a front numberplate suround and an EGR valve for a pd130. (not sure if its any use to me)

Upon arriving back home i cleaned up the seats and had a good look at the fittings to plan how i was gonna go about fitting the seats and realised i had a challenge on my hands but i was willing to give it a go.

The following morning i cracked on with changing the door cards which i became familiar with after having to replace the door release cable not long before as the hook snapped preventing the door from opening from inside. I then got the help of my best mate who had changed the interior on his car more than once and decided his experience and patience was gonna come in handy fitting the seats.

The front went in fine and fit perfectly.

644065_4682645739885_1259687950_n_zps08a8f6a4.jpg

644149_4682648259948_936033263_n_zps0e787be4.jpg

Sadly the rear seats weren't as easy to fit and were a completely different shape and size to the original skoda ones. but luckily as the cars are still rather similar we managed to fit the rear bench but where the rear bolsters sit on the original seats the passat seats have gaps as the passat door ended where the rear quater window is whereas the skoda door fits further back exposing this gap. Personally i think it paid of as a temporary measure as my friends have complimented the comfort of the rear seats and i love the overall apearance of the half leather. Once my savings have become a bit more suitable i will look at getting the original rear seats retrimed in half leather with blue suede to match.

550243_4687083090816_263290464_n_zpse0dbfe00.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

have you really wrapped the fuel-cap with BLACK? - It shouts, "LOOK EVERYONE, HERE's A HOLE IN MY CAR"

Joking aside, it was almost 13 years ago (o my god i'm 30 this year) when dad gave me his Mondeo 1.8 TD as my 1st car - Similar thing, CD player and Big Wheels followed....!

LED's didn't exist back then...!

Good luck, and enjoy it!

Al.

in honesty the fuel cap vinyl was a quick fix to cover a nasty bit of cosmetic damage i wasnt keen on looking at but since i crashed the car not too long ago i now have a fair bit more of "cosmetic damage" to look at. no matter how much black vinyl i get my hands on it wouldnt be able to cover what i have now haha.

Thanks for the comments :)

I remember when I first bought my Superb, over 7 years ago now and I am still running it............ :happy:

I am on 237k at the moment, how many miles have you added to that 280k? Is it still running the same original running gear?

Hi Tom, good start!

Take a look at Bakers high mile Superb, it might give you a few more ideas? Baker is also a member on here and a great guy (not to mention fantastic at detailing!) http://www.detailing...ad.php?t=200885

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the mention Rob.............:)

• Like 1

hey guys cheers for the comments. Yeah i am rather familiar with Baker21's Superb and i am rather an adrmirer of its grace and stance. but i must admit i much prefer silver when its detailed well ;)

As for the milage it is now sitting at over 283k. still the original clutch aswell! :D i have a few ideas for engine modifications/upgrades i might consider when finances become available to me as i feel if i put the right money into the right places it will still pay off. seeing as if i had paid upto £1000 for my first car i will happily allow myself to spend that much in changing the superb to how i like her :)

• Like 1

Right lets get back on track with the updates on this one.

I havent yet got to the sad side of the story. The crash :(

after an evening with my girlfriend i met a couple of mates at my local services before driving in convoy to our local out of town meeting place. I was 2nd to last in the convoy and as we approached the meet place (a open car park on the edge of a business park built on a derilict airfield) we drove along the long open road on the approach to the park which sweeps into a rather long right hand bend with a sudden tight right kink in it. as i was second to last i was hanging back from the others seeing as most of them had 1 more experience. 2 more confidence. and 3 more power. so my cousin who was infront of me had pulled just out of sight when he entered the bend but little did i know the bend wasnt all as it seeemed this night. as my car entered the start of the bend i decided to apply the brakes to bring my speed down as usual and as i did this the car responded by sliding the back end out a little and giving me a refined "top gear track" style power slide which as the bend went on became too much for the Traction control which decided it had enough resulting in all my resistance becoming opposite lock which i tried to counter-act with swinging the wheel back around again but was no match for the forces at work and ended up with the car pulling itself back around to the left and spinning 180 degrees to face back down the way i came as i ran out of bend and went straight on into gravel before demolishing the thich fence post and barbed wire fencing which stood in my car's path.

luckily i had pulled away from my friend slightly who just before my slide was right on my rear bumper about to overtake.

The cause of the slide became apparent when i got out of the car and went to cross the road to the opposite side where a gravel path was. As i stepped onto the tarmac i almost went arse over face as it turned out the entire corner was a deadly mix of sheets of black ice and spilt oil from a lorry which had come past earlier in the day. this had got the better of all my mates who had gone before me. of which one was an experience driver who enjoys racing in his spare time and manage to hold his car sideways around the entire bend no worries. sadly i did the mistake of panic braking and just applying the brakes again making matters worse. sadly i learnt ice control the hard way.

Anyways, back to the car. it suffered some nasty cosmetic damage all over from barbed wire lashes to deep gravel dents and i even had gravel stones embedded in the wall of one of my tires which i sadly had to replace. the main damage caused though was from the post i destroyed. it hit the edge of the passenger door right in the centre of the side. which dented the door badly and eventually ended up going under the car before my car landed on this post which caused a depp dent in the sill which in turn shocked the front and rear drivers side windows into shattering in my face.

the next morning i was straight down the local breakers and got myself two pieces of glass to act as a temporary fix on my shoe string budget which i took out of a 2004 passat. the front fit. the back was a different shape in the corners so i resolved this with a patch of Gaffa Tape on either side. this is still the state its in now as i am having no luck sourcing a skoda superb rear window for a suitable price as most online breakers want to charge me big bucks when comapred to local prices. but sadly my local scrappies dont even get a chance to break superbs as round our way they never die.

Another negative outcome from the crash is that the drivers handle no longer works on the outside. the exterior handle is no simply for show as it is completely non-responsive no matter how hard you yank on it.

46405_4916043214676_1488587154_n_zps87b31e94.jpg

Hey mate, dont worry.

Everething is repairibly, and Sup is.

I wish you to fix car, and many many happy miles. B)

I cant wait to see pictures how it look like when you finish repairing it.

Sorry for bad english. :)

I guess that's a hard lesson learned then eh?.

yeah pretty much lol

I wish you to fix car, and many many happy miles. B)

I cant wait to see pictures how it look like when you finish repairing it.

Dont worry i will hopefully be fixing it all soon. slow progress and a lot of patience is all i can give at the moment as financially i am suffering the torture of young driver insurance :(

• 4 weeks later...

unlucky buddy :( , but at least you and your passenger are not hurt! If I could help I would...got to be people on here who have spares or could dirct you to friends/scrappies etc...

• 2 weeks later...

Unlucky. We all learn our lessons as young drivers. I had a VW Golf MK4 for my first car 4 years ago. Was only 17, and I learnt my lesson driving round a round-about far too fast in the wet, the back end went! Fortunately there was nothing/no one around and I didn't hit anything, drove on and pretended it didn't happen :p