Stop /start technology

Mr Ree

Must admit, my system is pretty low tech., but I use my hand to turn the key if I consider I'm going to be stopped for more than 20 seconds.

IMHO this is the most environmentally-friendly stop/start system available :thumbup:

Stop start is just another tool to lower co2 and therefore is a good marketing / selling tool for a car. It does work however in the right circumstances but if you dont happen to drive under those circumstances then you wont gain directly. You would still gain however if you were a company car driver as the lower co2 would mean you pay less "benefit in kind" tax even if you only did motorway miles.

I think its a good idea as assuming the starter and battery are beefed up to cope then whats the down side?

I always slip my DSG into neutral no matter how short a time im stopped as i can hear a difference in engine tone so it must be taking the strain off something. For this reason i would likely see benefits from stop start sometimes. Given the choice i would rather have it.

If you dont pay company car tax and dont do a lot of urban driving then you wont benefit but i hardly think it would impede you in anyway.

I always slip my DSG into neutral no matter how short a time im stopped as i can hear a difference in engine tone so it must be taking the strain off something. For this reason i would likely see benefits from stop start sometimes. Given the choice i would rather have it.

Yes when it is in gear with your foot on the brake etc I think the clucth is semi engaged to enable to "creep" when releasing the brakes.

Not sure about if the handbrake is on whether is opens the clutch.

Phil

Introduced to it on my last car and also have it on my current car. I quite like it and it feels weird driving a car without it now and I've never had an issue with the car being slow to start when the clutch is depressed. As far as longevity of components goes, I think they have been beefed up sufficiently, however, some of the BMW folks are finding if you do lots of short journeys the battery (unsurprisingly!) deteriorates over time so it is unable to hold enough charge for the stop/start to work but remains fine for running everything else.

As well as the higher cost of AGM batteries, they also need "coding" when installed although it's possible to DIY this with a lead/software off ebay .. apparently. :D

Chris

It may just be me but surely if a car with stop start technology has a turbo, whether it be petrol or diesel, if it was driven hard then suddenly stops in traffic and switches off isnt this a bad thing for the life of the turbo? Ie causing oil seals to perish earlier than usual? Just my 2p plus my mum and dad have it in their Guilietta and dont use it :D

It may just be me but surely if a car with stop start technology has a turbo, whether it be petrol or diesel, if it was driven hard then suddenly stops in traffic and switches off isnt this a bad thing for the life of the turbo? Ie causing oil seals to perish earlier than usual? Just my 2p plus my mum and dad have it in their Guilietta and dont use it :D

I know the Mini had an auxilliary electric water pump to cool the turbo under these conditions.

Chris

Now THAT IS a damned good point!

I would think you're correct too.

Only advice would be to de-activate it at the end of a long fast run I'd have thought.

P'raps handbooks advise this?

its not often I find myself going from ragging the car for a long period of time to sat totally still handbrake on outta gear tbh.

Don't travel down M1 at rush hour much then, i went on a training course a couple of months ago and went in a stop/starter and was in outside lane then all traffic came to a stand still and stopped and engine stopped and i was thinking how much damage this is doing to turbo

My 123d has start stop and only works when the conditions are right. If the cabin needs aircon etc radio is in etc the car will start on its own accord. Also do you really think the manufacturers would have the start stop function switching off the car when it was still cooling water oil etc? All these factors are well thought of before using such s system. My 123d doesnt even have a temp gauge. Its programmed to set all the parameters and warning when cold or too hot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk whilst in a taxi rank

HI i find with my octy greenline 2 it all works very well, stop at lights into neutral foot of clutch it stops, lights change foot on clutch and as my foot hits floor engine is running 1st and gone, seem to move off seem speed as car ahead no holding up cars behind.

if you think lights are about to change as you pull up just keep your foot on the clutch and it will not stop , or of course if you want press button to switch system off.

better battery starter etc

you dont use Stop start as much as you think you will, so I think battery /starter life maybe longer

you get used to it very quickly, you soon learn when and when not to lift your foot off the clutch