Most annoying things on your Superb

I agree, albeit I don't think the "quality" is becoming "poorer" per se, but it is more obvious that the VW corporate cost pressure is being applied....

However, on a positive note people, I read that the MKIII features metal interior door opening handles! LOL!

Yes I think Skoda have acknowledged that they are constrained to an extent by VW in terms of materials expense

Things that I don't like:

1. Cruise Control sucks.

- The buttons on the indicator stalk are too small, and I can never remember which one is "set" and which one is "resume". The system Renault uses, with four buttons on the steering wheel, is much, much better.
- There is no indication of the cruise control speed. Even a € 10.000 Renault Twingo has that.
- Increasing the CC speed is a pain in the &*%. If I press and hold the "+" button, it wants to accelerate much too fast, causing my DSG to shift one (or two!) steps down. And if I push this button repeatedly, I have to press it about 20 times for a small speed increase. So the only way to increase speed is to use the accelerator pedal. Again something which is much better solved in a cheap Renault Twingo.

2. The interior mirror is mounted too low.

3. The cars is rusting on the rear wheel suspension, which is said to be normal :devil: ...

4. All the chrome strips are very difficult to keep clean, the tend to get stained, which is very hard to remove.

it needs an internal tailgate release button as i have to extract the key and push the fob, by which time passengers ive stopped to pick up are getting impatient waiting

i came from a Chevrolet Epica with a button.....my 1st Mondeo also had 1, it also had a heated screen

being an estate the rear seats arent that comfy but as i dont sit on them.....

drivers seat RH bolster is way too high and firm

oddly id like a proper slide away sunroof.....

The cruise buttons on the Epica were on the steering wheel front, not hidden behind it

Edited by lichfielddriver

My car is a 2012 Skoda Superb 1.6 tdi Elegance Estate, mileage now 104.000 and still driving like new.

My only minor annoyance is as stated above Bonnet catch wrong side but the worst thing is probably just my car.

When i get up to 65 to 75 mph there is a slow humming noise sounds like it's coming from the front drivers side wheel,

I have had it in to several garages and had wheel checked for balance and warping and also wheel bearings etc but

everything checks fine. i even put 2 brand new michelin tyres on the front and can't get rid of the noise..... Any advice would 

be much appreciated.

The inside door handles On my old Honda Accord the door pull/handle inside had a bottom to it so forming an ideal little cubby hole whereas the Superb has no bottom to it. It becomes a problem when the missus hands me a handful of my favourite peanut M&M`s and I`ve got nowhere to put them so I have to shove them all in my gob at once, annoying.

Things that I don't like:

1. Cruise Control sucks.

- The buttons on the indicator stalk are too small, and I can never remember which one is "set" and which one is "resume". The system Renault uses, with four buttons on the steering wheel, is much, much better.

I am exactly the opposite-having driven stalk mounted CC controls for years, the steering wheel buttons on my partner's new VW Polo are counter intuitive and MUCH more annoying to use.

Set is the bottom, Resume is the top. Simples

Edited by Bristolf2b

1. Cruise Control sucks.

- There is no indication of the cruise control speed. Even a € 10.000 Renault Twingo has that.

Maybe there is not one out of the box but you can easily get that with the help of vcds cable. Mine also was showing speed in miles instead of cruise control speed but couple minutes and I got it sorted.

Funny really reading all the dislikes, they can be remedied by moving abroad then everything, almost is on the correct side. I have always moaned about the heated rear screen switch being on the extreme right hand end of the switches which of course is fine on a right hand drive.

I have to say, I love my Skoda for the room, effortless cruising and caravan pulling and just enjoy the looks of it. If and when it is clean (black magic) it looks as good as some more exotic stuff to me, maybe I am easily pleased.

Oh the Amundson Sat Nav is rubbish, there we go something I don't like.

Edited by niveketak
  • Like 1

Maybe there is not one out of the box but you can easily get that with the help of vcds cable. Mine also was showing speed in miles instead of cruise control speed but couple minutes and I got it sorted.

Regrettably that only works on some S2's. And not on mine :sweat: ...

Not unique to the Superb but one thing I liked on my old Octavia that I miss was a foot rest next to the accelerator. Not only did this make long journeys more comfortable when the cruise was on, it was great for tapping to the beat of the music! Now I find my right foot either hovering, or on the floor in front of the pedals causing my knee to knock against the keyring.

Unfortunately Skoda seem to have dispensed with this "feature" as it is not on the newer shape Octavia either.

Nick

Edited by nick1977
  • Like 1

I love almost everything except how you switch the DRLs on and off. Why couldn't they just have a switch?

Why would you want to switch the DRL's off? Mine are on as soon as I start the engine, and off again when the light sensor switches the Xenons on.

Furthermore, I activated an extra option (via VCDS) so the DRL's are also switched off when my handbrake is on. I use this to safe the battery when I have to do something in my car with the ignition on.

I'm really enjoying mine, so it seems almost sacrilege to point out the bits that aren't so good. But, in a quirky car like this, there are some.

I quickly adjusted to the cruise on the stick, so no problems there - and it is much smoother in response than the old Mondeo. However, I do miss the Mondy's heated windscreen and auto wipers so, if I replaced this one, they would have to feature.

The hand brake placement is odd - not getting used to that. Cup holders likewise - the one on the Mondy which came out of the dash was much better placed.

Sunglasses holder too small - had to buy a new pair...

Absolutely no problems with the steering wheel controls - all well-positioned and easy to use.

I find first gear too limiting - would prefer it to take me to a higher speed before changing up. I don't know whether the gearing is particular to the 4x4, so that may have something to do with it.

After a Mondeo, the wallowing drive characteristics took a lot of getting used to, but I'm there now and actually appreciate the smoother drive now that I don't throw the car into bends.

All of these are small beer in comparison with the many fine qualities of this car.

• Like 1

Why would you want to switch the DRL's off? Mine are on as soon as I start the engine, and off again when the light sensor switches the Xenons on.

Furthermore, I activated an extra option (via VCDS) so the DRL's are also switched off when my handbrake is on. I use this to safe the battery when I have to do something in my car with the ignition on.

I'm very happy for you. Shall we get back on topic now? :)

Cruise control - rented a Ford Focus - my God so much better!

DSG changes up too early for my liking. Cruising in the 30 -40 mph area not pleasant.

Back seats narrower than the Mondeo I had

Boot shorter than the Mondeo too. I know there is a lot of legroom - but that seems to be because the boot is shorter!

Ride on 18" wheels

Columbus muffled voice and insensitive touch screen - and the instruction manual for it.  Where's 4 year old child when you need one?

Changing the climate control temperature one click seems to alter from hot air to cool air - not sensitive enough - and little relationship to the stated tem

I'm sure there are more!

I would echo a few of the recent comments. Overall I'm incredibly happy with the car, but coming from an Octavia I agree that:

1) 1st gear is very limiting

2) the sunglasses holder is a bit small (smaller than the one on the Octavia)

3) Climate control doesn't bear much relation to the setting. Again the Octavia seemed to have better accuracy in this respect.

Overall though glad I bought the car and don't regret the decision!

Edited by nick1977

I would echo a few of the recent comments. Overall I'm incredibly happy with the car, but coming from an Octavia I agree that:

1) 1st gear is very limiting

2) the sunglasses holder is a bit small (smaller than the one on the Octavia)

3) Climate control doesn't bear much relation to the setting. Again the Octavia seemed to have better accuracy in this respect.

Overall though glad I bought the car and don't regret the decision!

1) 1st gear is pretty limiting on all diesels I've driven, so I tend to get it into 2nd as soon as possible.

2) I can get all my Ray Ban styles in there, including the very chunky Weyfarer II's with a bit of a fiddle. Maybe lucky I guess...

3) When its hot, I open the windows to dump the heat, then shove it on recirculation cold for a fast cool down (which is very chilly!) and then stick it at 18 or 20 and leave it there. I honestly don't seem to have an issue with the settings as they're only a guide really. My mate, who has a Bentley Continental GT, has had his back to the dealer three times trying to get the AC to be as cold as the Superb... What with that and the similar SatNav, he gets peeved everytime he's in it... "Tch... I dunno, I could get five or six of these for the money I paid for the Conti..." "Oh will you ever stop moaning?" Says I...! :)

• Like 1

1) 1st gear is pretty limiting on all diesels I've driven, so I tend to get it into 2nd as soon as possible.

2) I can get all my Ray Ban styles in there, including the very chunky Weyfarer II's with a bit of a fiddle. Maybe lucky I guess...

3) When its hot, I open the windows to dump the heat, then shove it on recirculation cold for a fast cool down (which is very chilly!) and then stick it at 18 or 20 and leave it there. I honestly don't seem to have an issue with the settings as they're only a guide really. My mate, who has a Bentley Continental GT, has had his back to the dealer three times trying to get the AC to be as cold as the Superb... What with that and the similar SatNav, he gets peeved everytime he's in it... "Tch... I dunno, I could get five or six of these for the money I paid for the Conti..." "Oh will you ever stop moaning?" Says I...! :)

... he never wants to swap mind....!

Damn bluetooth disconnecting for no reason.... :(

I am coming to the conclusion that:- 

1. I will have to put up with it.. 

2. Get a different handset... 

It always connects to Premium.... can be OK for 3 weeks like now, then disconnected.. sometimes it will just reconnect to Premium, sometimes to HFP, then like today failed to connect until I manually did it...

Dealer has changed the module for the latest "E" version... I have tried 3 Samsung phones, inc my new one... I suspect Samsung has the issue not the car...

I have tried a few different apps.... still not 100% reliable  

Other than that the car is fantastic :) 

Damn bluetooth disconnecting for no reason...

Other than that the car is fantastic :)

I have an iPhone 4s and never had a problem. Immediately connects and stays connected. My mate drives a miriad of Toyota product, including Lexus and BMW too. He's had nothing but trouble with their BlueTooth units and his Samsung Gaxaly phone and his phone rarely connects to the Superb. He's recently changed his Samsung for an iPhone 6 and guess what - no more problems....

• Like 1

I have an iPhone 4s and never had a problem. Immediately connects and stays connected. My mate drives a miriad of Toyota product, including Lexus and BMW too. He's had nothing but trouble with their BlueTooth units and his Samsung Gaxaly phone and his phone rarely connects to the Superb. He's recently changed his Samsung for an iPhone 6 and guess what - no more problems....

IPhones will not, or as far as I know will not connect to the "Premium" bluetooth, they connect to the "HFP" profile because Apple do not support rSap... If I wanted to loose a couple of features such as SMS messages and using the external aerial I can make it so mine connects only to the "HFP" profile, I would then suspect I would have no issue... 

The new module has improved things, it can go 3 weeks now rather than every time I go out :) 

IPhones will not, or as far as I know will not connect to the "Premium" bluetooth, they connect to the "HFP" profile because Apple do not support rSap... If I wanted to loose a couple of features such as SMS messages and using the external aerial I can make it so mine connects only to the "HFP" profile, I would then suspect I would have no issue...

The new module has improved things, it can go 3 weeks now rather than every time I go out :)

That's good. I can only presume this rSap thingy isn't all its cracked up to be! I'd rather just be able to make/take phone calls that don't drop out than have my SMS read (I presume?) 99.8% of which are utter rubbish!
  • Like 1