Headlights not working

Upon starting my car this morning the dipped headlights weren't working. The full beam was grand, so between a combination of using them and the fogs I made it into work.

The car is in getting the coilpack recall at the minute so i cant check it, but I'm just wondering if there could be a simple explanation for this like? Is there a fuse that does just the dipped beam?

Chances of both bulbs going at the same time would be very remote surely?!

I've also had to replace a rear indicator and brake light bulb this week. I assume there's absolutely no way all bulbs are linked?!

Not so remote.

Actually last week the other half was driving with just sidelights on and when i asked her why, she had wonderered why she was struggling to see coming up the road.

Checked the fuses, thought it must be the light switch.

Changed one bulb and that worked, so changed a second and all was well.

Brake light filament also was gone on one rear light when i checked.

george

LOL, must be something in the January air then!

I'll take a look at teh car when I get it back later. What size are the dipped bulbs? Are they handy enough changed on a Mk1?

Hello. I have a similar problem, but with a weird twist.

The headlights work fine on dipped. Dark stretch of road, flick the stalk and full beam comes on fine. Car comes other way- switch off full beam and get plunged into darkness !

Have to rely on front fogs or full beam for the rest of the journey.

Next day: Headlights work fine on dipped..... and so the story goes on.

It happened once or twice a couple of years ago and then was fine (and so I forgot about it). But now is happening again and almost every time.

I know next to nothing about car electrics, but am willin to have a go at fixing or at least identifying the problem before I go out spending money I can't really spare.

Does it sound like a loose connection to you? And if so, where do I look?

Or is it something else??

Please help ! Any advice gratefully received.

It's an '02 Octavia estate 1.9tdi elegance, if you need to know.

Yours hopefully

Benjo

Many thanks for replying, mbames.

Do I just buy a can of switch cleaner from halfords and squirt some into the hole in the steering column? Sorry if I'm being thick..... Treat me like an idiot and you won't be too wide of the mark.

Hi Benjo,

Source a can of switch or contact cleaner should do the trick (I got mine from work) when I was having indicator issues. Squirt into into the base of the stalk where it vanishes into the steering column and then give it a good wiggle - forwards, backwards, up and down.

Then hope that fixes it :-)

• 1 month later...