Premium vs Handsfree Bluetooth

I found that all I needed was BlueVPN. The only problem was it didn`t display the map just a dot on a blank screen showing me that there was a camera approaching. From what I can remember as well, I just needed GPS enabled on the phone to get the same result, but I`m not absolutely sure about that.

I also found that BlueVPN wasn`t compatible with my Tunein radio app which I listen to quite a bit. When it works via the handsfree option this transmits to the Columbus via bluetooth.

To solve my problem I decided to buy on Ebay another bluetooth module. This new one gives a wifi option which I`m guessing somehow tethers to my phone and noww I have internet access which gives me a fully working cameralert and Tunein, also at the same time syncing my emails to the phone

It is a 3C8 035 730D module

Alternatively kaydee, just connect your phone in Handsfree mode rather than Premium and you'll be able to use data on your phone. It's how your iPhone 4 connected all the time as it can't do rSAP (the technology behind "Premium bluetooth". You might be able to change connection protocol on the fly or may have to delete the connection and start again (and not allow the car access to the phone SIM on pairing). Ashfan 's an expert on this now! :-)

Michael

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

Yes that's right Michael (no not the expert bit).You can change the sim mode "on the fly" only if the Bluetooth module supports it. My 3C8 035 730A module didn't allow me to do this. My new one, a 5NO 035 730D does as well as give me wifi. The extra menu options magically appeared in the maxidot.

And of course you're right, you can just choose handsfree in the initial setup but then you lose the SMS option and the stronger signal. I'm not 100% sure but I think when I next started the car my Galaxy S3 automatically switched back to rSAP. So for me the new module was the best option

If anybody is looking for a 3C8 035 730A module then get in touch

**EDIT**. As pointed out below by Andrehj I've made a mistake, my new module is not a 5NO 035 730D it is in fact a 3C8 035 730D

My 3C8 035 730A module didn't allow me to do this. My new one, a 5NO 035 730D does as well as give me wifi. The extra menu options magically appeared in the maxidot.

And of course you're right, you can just choose handsfree in the initial setup but then you lose the SMS option and the stronger signal. I'm not 100% sure but I think when I next started the car my Galaxy S3 automatically switched back to rSAP. So for me the new module was the best option

If anybody is looking for a 3C8 035 730A module then get in touch

Your new number is wrong! The right number for the Wifi capable bluetooth module is 3C8 035 730 D. And having just installed this module in my pre FL S2C, I can confirm that it works right out of the box, and has also a number of other advantages, such as better bluetooth audio streaming (tags are now shown in the display of my Amundsen+) and the initial connection of a phone to the carkit is no much more user friendly.

You're absolutely right Andre. I've just been out to the car to take a picture and prove you wrong, imagine my embarrassment when I saw the numbers. Where I got 5NO 035 730D from I have no idea. I have some posts to edit.

I can't say I've noticed a difference in the initial connection, in fact it seems a little slower than my 3C8 035 730A and on one occasion it didn't connect, I had to restart the car to connect. Just a minor glitch I think.

Well, I reset the skoda phone to factory settings, deleting all pairings, did the same on the Samsung S4 - then did a new set up.

There was no option at any time for 'simple',  'bluetooth' or any thing - just the 16 numbers on the matrix to enter into the phone, and then, bang, Premium and no handset phone operation, the car takes over!

The other thing is that I now have some SMS texts that came in whil;e the phone was paired, and despite going into the Matrix and doing a 'copy' to the SIM, they do not appear on the phone at all when I come away from the car

I've looked at the module under the seat and the numbers don't seem to tally with any above - it is definitely 3C8 035 730B.

Any ideas on what to do next?!!

Hmm - I had two options with my car and Samsung S2 to force it to use Handsfree rather than Premium:

1. When initially pairing from afresh (as you have tried) the phone asked me if I wanted to allow remote access to the SIM.  If I said "no" it still connected, but just in normal bluetooth mode rather than via the remote SIM access protocol.  From memory this was a persistent setting - the phone didn't keep on asking me each time I got in the car.
  2. OR I could change the bluetooth pairing mode in Maxidot once connected. I have the 3C8 C module and under Phone menu > Settings > Phone Settings > Phone Mode I have the option of using either Premium (which is of course RSAP) or Handsfree.  This is module-dependent though.

?Michael

AS Michael says above if I denied access to the sim on initial setup then the car should connect in handsfree mode, thats what I found with my S3 anyway. But like i`ve said it might have connected automatically in Premium (rSAP) mode when I next went to the car, I can`t remember. Thats with the 3C8 A module

My 3C8 A module wouldn`t allow me to switch between the two once connected, probably the same applies to your 3C8 B. I have a friend with an S4, I`ll see what happens if I connect his phone to my 3C8 D module.

The 3C8 D module might be your best option if you can find one as it gives you wifi which works perfectly with Cameralert and Tunein radio app

My 3C8 A module wouldn`t allow me to switch between the two once connected, probably the same applies to your 3C8 B. 

Wrong. Until one week ago I had the 3C8 035 730B module and I could change very easy between the Premium (rsap) and the Handsfree (HFP) modes as decribed in post #33 above. This was in combination with a Galaxy S2.

Until one week ago I had the 3C8 035 730B module and I could change very easy between the Premium (rsap) and the Handsfree (HFP) modes as decribed in post #33 above. This was in combination with a Galaxy S2.

There we go then kaydee, you should have the option to change the connection mode in Maxidot as mentioned above.

Michael

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

Well - managed to get a connection that doesn't suck all life out of the phone handset!

Big thanks for all the help and advice.

Sadly it's not as good as the old iPhone connection that showed my phonebook and call log and let the handset work, but it's better than nowt!

Well - managed to get a connection that doesn't suck all life out of the phone handset!

Big thanks for all the help and advice.

Sadly it's not as good as the old iPhone connection that showed my phonebook and call log and let the handset work, but it's better than nowt!

It doesn't show your phonebook?  It should be connecting using the same protocol as used with the iPhone - certainly when I connect via the Handsfree profile rather than Premium I still have access to all my contacts.

Hi mfj - sorry to be so long getting back - damned work getting in the way!

Initially it was showing 'Telephone book not available' but then a second or third time I autoconnected it appeared in it's full glory, so big thanks for all the help and advice, I'm a happy Skoda driver again!

• 7 months later...

Hi I can confirm this works for EE.

Had BlueVPn, car paired with LG G2 on rSAP but no data and get "GPRS access point invalid" on maxidot  and "Connection negotiation failed assigned ip null" on phone when try BlueVPN.

Go into BlueVPn settings and set Access Point to "everwhere", UserName to "eesecure", Password to "secure".

In car on maxidot Phone settings under Data set Access Point to "everywhere".

Run BlueVPN, select SKODA_BT et voila, data and extra double arrow symbol in maxidot top phone display.

Thanks to all the previous comments. Great forum. Hope this helps anyonelse trying to set it up. Should be worth it for the call quality and great signal strength.

• 1 year later...

Ok. Sorry to revive this thread but I think I am 90% there and this thread explains all. I am doing what d_aero says above and am getting the double arrow data symbol in the maxidot, but I can't enter the VPN name in settings/data/Access Point as it has a space in it: Virgin Internet. I can see capital letters, lower case lettersm numbers, dot, delete, OK - but no space! Does anyone know how to enter a space?

Many thanks for any help you can give

• 3 years later...

These is an easier way. Just connect the phone to the car WiFi to get internet back.

You basically giving the car 3g connection and get internet back by connecting to the car WiFi.

Edited by ber5ien

1 hour ago, ber5ien said:

These is an easier way. Just connect the phone to the car WiFi to get internet back.

You basically giving the car 3g connection and get internet back by connecting to the car WiFi.

That'll depend which BT module is installed.

Only the 3C8 035 730 D and 3C8 035 730 E versions support a WiFi hotspot, all earlier rSAP/premium BT modules aren't able to ;)

• Like 1

I've got a Sony Xperia XA2 Ultra on O2 and my 2014 Superb connects but only for media won't connect for phone calls. Any ideas tried several times all the same. When it connects to car phone closes screen and goes back to lock screen. Any help would be appreciated very much. 

On 01/06/2019 at 12:25, RnG said:

I've got a Sony Xperia XA2 Ultra on O2 and my 2014 Superb connects but only for media won't connect for phone calls. Any ideas tried several times all the same. When it connects to car phone closes screen and goes back to lock screen. Any help would be appreciated very much. 

What model Bluetooth module do you have? Does the XA2 support RSAP?

On 02/06/2019 at 18:41, Nathanio said:

What model Bluetooth module do you have? Does the XA2 support RSAP?

Looks like the Xperia doesn't support RSAP. All I want to do is be able to receive and make calls its one of the reasons I got the car because it had hands free connection ☹️☹️☹️

15 minutes ago, RnG said:

Looks like the Xperia doesn't support RSAP. All I want to do is be able to receive and make calls its one of the reasons I got the car because it had hands free connection ☹️☹️☹️

Look under the cover under the driver's seat and give us the part number. It might yet not be a problem. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Nathanio said:

Look under the cover under the driver's seat and give us the part number. It might yet not be a problem. 

3C8 035 730D is the bt unit. Thanks Nathanio

The 3C8 035 730D supports HFP or simple hands free profile 

i can't remember where the setting is but I think you have to go into Bluetooth > settings and then there is an option in there for switching between premium and standard. 

• Thanks 1