CLICKING NOISE IN DASH

alliv

hi all, i,m getting a clicking noise in the dash every so often sounds like the turn signal . it goes fast and then slow again , sounds like it near the hazzard switch, anyone have this problem before? any ideas how to solve it? thanks.

Mine did the same thing, my garage said it was the hazard switch and it needed replacing as the sound was coming from there, turns out it was the indicator stalk itself that was the problem with mine.

yeh it seems to happen after i put the indicator on and goes on for a few mins. do you mind me asking how much that set you back? thanks for thr reply.

anyone ever changed the indicator stalk them selfs? is it easy? any how to,s knocking about?

It's not hard. Disconnect battery, wait a while for airbag system to discharge, remove steering wheel, remove steering column cowling, remove column adjust lever, remove stalk. Re-assembly is a reverse of the removal process.

Be careful to make sure the orientation of the clock-spring isn't disturbed, and to set the clearance of the stalks to the back of the steering wheel.

The 'official' instructions can be found here

My old octavia done that happened twice and it was the hazard warning light control was £40 to replace as memory goes was a right pain and only happened after you had used the indicators

Make a Forum search - it is the column switch. Copper frag from the contacts causes the flasher to operate intermittently on the leakage current between the contacts without illuminating the marker lamps.

Annual B5.5 preventative maintenance should include lubricating the switch with a cleaner such as Servisol 10 which contains a lubricant. WD-40 is not suitable. A switch giving trouble can often be resuced with Servisol, but you need to use plenty of it to wash away the copper. Put an old towel under the switch and apply plenty of cleaner whilst operating the switch.

Another VAG 10 year old standard fault...

rotodiesel.

• Like 1

My friend drive VW Passat B5.5(very good car indeed), but he has seems to me same problem as you.

Altough he can hear the noise just after he insert the key and give contats. Except that there isnt noice at all.

Is that same problem Rotodiesel?

I ask you that because I want to say him what to do, because he lost all his hope that will find out reason why and what was doing that. Hahaha my personal("very profesional") opinion was that he has mouse in car, but it wasnt so funny when I saw that problem bother him so much. He doesnt hear noise when he give indicator and atc...just when he give contat. And then it sound like Clac, Clac Clac, and then it disapear.

I know it wasnt very good describe, but I tried as best I could.

Cheers.

If the noise changes when you move the switch lever slightly, copper fragments in the switch is probably the cause. Sometimes you can't shift it with contact cleaner and a new switch is needed. I've dismantled an old one and the amount of copper dust in there is incredible - and very worn contacts.

Do VAG actually test anything?

rotodiesel.

• Like 1

Guys, I have this occasionally. was worried at first, but after reading on here what it was, I'm a bit more relaxed. However, is it just the noise or will do some damage if left as it is? I don't mind it if it is just the noise. However, if it is doing some damage, then I will look to get it sorted.

Thanks

mine has been like this for quite some time as my dad left it for at least a year while he owned it and i havent got round to changing it. If anything, the longer it is left like it the more frequently and rapidly the clicking noise. in mine it has the odd day where it is calm and only happens upon indicating whereas on other days its from the moment the ignition is on.

i just use the radio to ignore it. :)

• 4 weeks later...

Turn the hazards on, and you can then get the switch out from the hole it is in by pulling and using a non-metallic pry tool top and bottom. You don't take the vent assembly out, the switch comes out of the vents. You pull the switch off the connector. It is recommended to tie some string around the cables so that you don't loose the loom back into the hole as there isn't much slack.

• Like 1

It is a separate part. Quite pricey from the dealers. Are you sure the problem isn't your indicator stalks - I see some of the posts above mention the stalk failing causing this kind of issue.

It is a separate part. Quite pricey from the dealers. Are you sure the problem isn't your indicator stalks - I see some of the posts above mention the stalk failing causing this kind of issue.

Im not actually sure.! i thought as the sound is coming from the hazard switch it must be the hazard switch at fault.

i havent noticed the noise when using or after using the indicators, im hearing the noiseat random mostly when cruising ie motorway.

This week I should get my new indicator stalk. So if people demand, I could write a "how to" on changing it. With the stalk change I will install the "blink automatically for 3 times" electronics. :)

This week I should get my new indicator stalk. So if people demand, I could write a "how to" on changing it. With the stalk change I will install the "blink automatically for 3 times" electronics. :)
sounds like a plan, go for it, it can only help us.

Sent from my e1901_v77_gq2008_ov8825 using Tapatalk 2

had this on mine b4 christmas, new indy stork sorted it, was about £77 for new one.

My mate had the same thing on his too.

Edited by bryan350lc

I've just had a reply back from rain worth Skoda and they are saying they are unsure which? Indicator stalk is correct for my vehicle as there seems to be 2 types! Apparently its down to what type of ecu o have for the electrics or something like that!

They say I will have to remove the steering wheel to find the part number:angry:

I was under the assumption that a dealer could tell me exactly what I require when given the vin?