underseat storage boxes

ken b

hi just ordered a pair of front storage boxes for my 2012 monte pick them up sat question are they easy to fit ? do you have to remove the seats ? thanks

For bolts for each seat not sure if you need to replace these for new (dealer will know) and watch out for the cable for the seat belt warning

hi thanks the parts dept said you dont need bolts supplied self tappers but he needed the frame number as there is two types of boxes ?

The boxes don't come with any self tappers and the ones holding the blanking plate in are fine but too few. I fitted mine without bothering about the extra screw, seemed secure enough.

Fitting without removing the seat is very awkward. I took my seats out just disconnected battery due to the seat airbags, then unclipped the wires for the bags and sensors. Make sure you use the correct tool for the seatbolts as I stripped the head on one and had to get a replacement (own fault as used the wrong size tool on the first, doh!).

As said above the boxes have different numbesr as they are different left and right.

Fitted mine this time last year - Christmas present! Struggled for ages before disconnecting battery and removing the 4 spline drive bolts holding seat in.

Then it was a breeze. You may find that air bag warning light comes on and will have to be put out 'cos the connector under the seat was disconnected.

Really useful boxes contain a lot of 'glove box' clutter leaving glove box free for... err gloves etc.

Also a good time to vacuum around seat floor whilst seat not in the way.

hi just ordered a pair of front storage boxes for my 2012 monte pick them up sat question are they easy to fit ? do you have to remove the seats ? thanks

hi thanks very much for imput ref disconnecting battery would this affect the code on the radio ?

• 2 years later...

The 1st. and most important point is that you DO NOT have to remove the seat(s) or even remove the fixing bolts,

This is especially important as the seats are held in by a Splined headed bolt and not the normal Torx or Allen headed variety and it is highly unlikely that you will have the correct tool to either loosen or remove them and you will save yourself a few quid (£25 when last I looked) buying a set of them from Halfords.

If both seats have height adjustment and you are flexible enough then you will be able to complete the task.

Secondly look at post number 12 in the link below taking particular note of the numbers of additional securing screws you require to complete the job properly. 

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/304034-under-seat-storage-retrofit-advice-fabia-ii-vrs/?hl=%2Bstorage+%2Bboxes#entry3965430

Good luck and with patience you will win through.

Edited by Prykey
  • Like 1

Im defo gonna uno and lean my seat back when i do mine. Pretty sure I've already got the required tool.

Mainly to get the hoover in.

No joke. I dropped a chip down the side of my seat last year n i cant even see it, but i know its there so its been bugging me ever since haha.

I think im abit OCD

Im defo gonna uno and lean my seat back when i do mine. Pretty sure I've already got the required tool.

Mainly to get the hoover in.

No joke. I dropped a chip down the side of my seat last year n i cant even see it, but i know its there so its been bugging me ever since haha.

I think im abit OCD

After having a mouse in our superb (chewed the gear-lever gaiter and behind dash) and a rat chew the electrics under the bonnet of my fabia , I would be looking for that chip if I were you

• Like 1

After having a mouse in our superb (chewed the gear-lever gaiter and behind dash) and a rat chew the electrics under the bonnet of my fabia , I would be looking for that chip if I were you

Dont tell me that. I'll worry hahaa.

• 11 months later...

So as I have airbags in the seats, I think I definitely need to disconnect battery before unbolting and leaning back to fit the storage boxes.

Am I likely to come across any problems when I reconnect?

Reading through the various posts, some say you can only disconnect for a maximum of 30 mins without it causing problems. Is this true?

Don't want to end up with warning lights left on for airbags.

when I fitted them in my car the wire was long enough to just lay the seat back although I would admit it would have been easier if I had disconnected the plug first.....

and don't do it in the dark like I did :no:

Haha, I shall wait for a dry, sunny day before I do mine. Try and lean seats back first, if I can't do it then I'll disconnect battery, airbags etc.

Just worried about disconnect battery in case I lose setting etc

Edited by ratkat

No issues with disconnecting the battery. Make sure you disconnect the battery and wait a few minutes before disconnecting the seat connector.  When reconnecting the battery you *MUST* have the key in the ignition and turned to position II.  At this point leave it for a few minutes and everything will sync up. This is the Skoda method plus a bit of caution on my part and it hasn't failed me (I've probably disconnected the battery at least 20 times and removed seats at least 5 times)

• Like 1

When I did mine, I disconnected the battery, removed the seats, after unplugging, just reconnected everything and reset the clock... Everything else, stereo, etc just self checked and worked fine! As I have back issues (Slipped a disc as a young whipper-snapper), I removed the seat as it is quicker and easier to work on them then trying to wriggle around after just budging them around a bit! Thats my POV anyway. Oh, and the boxes are quite cheap from main dealers so don't get tucked up paying a scrappy silly money for what will be used stuff!

I did not take any seat bolts out when I fitted them to wife's old Polo, as others have said, just raise the seat and use the right bits for the securing screws on a long wobble extension or flexible 1/4" extension. I think that the securing screw I used were the correct VW ones and had Torx heads which made taping them to the right bit and using wobble extensions okay.

Edit:- Sorry, that was not true, wife's old Polo came with these boxes fitted when new, I fitted them to my Audi S4, well they are slots in that car not real drawers like the Polo was, I am planning to do the same thing with wife's new Polo - just because I want to (wife has no interest in them at all, the old Polo ones annoyed her as they tended to be too stiff to open when she was sitting in the car, so she only ever opened them when she was not in the car, the only reason she needed to open them was to retrieve her music CDs!!)

Edited by rum4mo