Bolero head unit

I've seen a used Bolero headset up for sale and am considering buying it to fit into my 57 Octy, however before doing so wanted to know if it has a built in bluetooth, any ideas...

What revision of gateway is required for a Bolero?

My car is a MY08 so may already have the required one.

If it doesn't I can't be bothered but if it happends to have the right one and is pretty much plug and play then I will look at getting a Bolero.

How can you tell the new and old versions apart?

Phil

• Like 1

Right. Got ya!

So as long as I find one that's from 2010 or earlier I should be safe?

Is there something in the part numbers that tells you if they are the new or old ones?

Phil

I have a bolero, aerial adapter and new revision gateway you can have for 200, drop me a pm if your interested.

as has already been said you Won't get pdc/climate info displayed and you may suffer the dimming issue?

• Like 1

Just check a VCDS log Phil, and check the part number for Module 19 CAN Gateway. The end letter will dictate revision.

There's some confusion above regards the screen dimming. The dimming issue is nothing to do with gateway revision. It's to do with a later revision of the Bolero unit. It would seem that on pre-FL cars with older controllers, and possibly due to differences in CANBUS communication, the dimming occurs, being noticeable in daylight.

• Like 1

Will have to do a comparison next time I see you Simon. Trouble is it needs to be in the daylight really, which puts the next meet out of the equation!

Most noticeable is in the daylight, on a bright day (hard to come by at the moment, I know!)

To be fair, I think you're just as well off getting any Bolero and upgrading it to the latest revision, v0054. I also remember something about steering clear of Delphi made units and just going for Blaupunkt made ones if it's in a pre-fl, but can't remember why right now.

PDC & Climate will definitely not work on a pre-fl unless you do some major re-wiring: mine is the last reg of the model and it has neither.

Edited by blackspaven

PDC display is possible, with an upgrade of the controller. I'm with you though - I never miss the on-screen display.

Climate you can sort by fitting an FL climate panel.

As for firmware updates on the Bolero, if there's a dealer that will do that on a retrofit and who won't charge an hour's labour for the privilege, then I'm all ears :)

Hmmm, i've got a '58 plate and 2012 Blaupunkt Bolero and regardless of what happens with the headlights the screen brightness doesn't alter. Should it in such a late pre-fl retrofit?

Just check a VCDS log Phil, and check the part number for Module 19 CAN Gateway. The end letter will dictate revision.

There's some confusion above regards the screen dimming. The dimming issue is nothing to do with gateway revision. It's to do with a later revision of the Bolero unit. It would seem that on pre-FL cars with older controllers, and possibly due to differences in CANBUS communication, the dimming occurs, being noticeable in daylight.

Checked today. The end letter was "L".

No idea what that means! lol

Phil